Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

MOBIL DTE LIGHT - OPINIONS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

MOBIL DTE LIGHT - OPINIONS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: MOBIL DTE LIGHT - OPINIONS

HI Celso, used a for a while non-Aeroshell 500 oils on the Jetcats and so far, so good.

I also combed the whole trillion pages in the web, searching for somebody that ruined a turbine because of not using aeroshell 500 and never found a result. .. almost just the opposite.

Um abraƧo, Enrique.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
celso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Enrique, how are you?
Have youeverused Mobil DTE ( TURBINA 32 ) ? What other oils have you been using

Forte abraço. O Storm ainda está vivo e voando

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
ash 26

Hi Celso

I just had my simjet 3000 in service due to a fod damage I asked what the engine was like inside I was told it was like new and that after 26h bearings were perfect but I still got them changed as the engine was taken apart I also had my P120 se in with Jetcat due to an ecu problem got them to do a full service on it and I was told that it is in perfect health that is all I can tell you so far But I was told that Jetcat do not recommend the use of it saying that I know a lot of guys that are using in jetcats with no problem

cheers

Andy
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Celso, great to hear the Storm is doing well! (I think this plane is the most underrated jet ever... I will buy one in Argentina if I could in my next visit)

About the oil, I tried the DTE and worked, but as Jet central turbines rates it at second best now I am trying Motul 710 RL 2T wich complies with the JASO FC at 3% to see what happens.. the idea is making a fuel mixture wich will work for both the Jet Central and Jetcat.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Use DTE light in Wren 44's & Supersport, no oil related problems. - John.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM
celso

Thanks Andy
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 AM
celso

Hello John

How long have you been using DTE in your turbines?

Regards

Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

DTE lite is all I use. My Wren SuperSport had 78 hours on it before the first service and it was still very clean inside. Could have gone another 25 or so hours....

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
celso

Great to know that. By the way what fuel do you burn in your turbine?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: celso

Great to know that. By the way what fuel do you burn in your turbine?
Jet A
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DTE light in Jet Central Rabbit, Cheetah and two Rhinos, all running on Kero with no problems at all. I have been purchasing it from McMaster Karr and really like being able to purchase it in gallon lots.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do have to sai it is nice having McMaster Car only a 10 min car ride away here

~V~
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

FYI you can get 5 gallons of DTE light from ebay for $99 shipped. I just got one and it came in one day.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

How long have you been using DTE in your turbines?
About seven years although I'm not the sort of flyer that flys jets every weekend.

My first fuel used Mobil Jet Oil 2 but I quickly looked for safer alternatives.

Wren recommended Castrol TTS 2 stroke oil but I found that if the engine was left a couple
of months the starter would struggle to spin the engine up for the first start. I use DTE light
at 5% with jet A fuel & have no such problems. I'm about half way through my second 20 litre
drum of DTE - John.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 AM
celso

Last weekend i have done 16 flights using Mobil DTE LIGHT 5% in a Jetcat P70 turbine. Everything seems to be ok.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 AM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

I have been using DTE with my Wren 44 gold and Wren 120 for the past two years without any issues. I recently purchased a JetCat P-140 and their manual specifically states to not use Mobil DTE. Does anyone know why they specifically recommend against using DTE?

thanks,

Mark
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM
chrigui

maybe for low flash point
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Mobile DTE? Seems there are options?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 PM
mmontella

I have been using the Mobil DTE Light Circulating oil.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Mobil-Oil-Dte-Light
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

You can also use Citgo Pacemaker T32.. it has the same exact mill specs as mobile DTE light. It is a circulation oil as well. There is a group of us 5-8 members of our club that has been running it for the past 4 years. Engines are very clean!! Jetcentrals, Kingtech, and Wrens. Here is the best part, average price is $50/ 5gal pale.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 AM
celso

Hello. Just an update, 38 flights in a P-70 with DTE Light an everything is ok.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmontella
I have been using DTE with my Wren 44 gold and Wren 120 for the past two years without any issues. I recently purchased a JetCat P-140 and their manual specifically states to not use Mobil DTE. Does anyone know why they specifically recommend against using DTE?

thanks,

Mark
Hi MMONTELLA

I'm guessing its easier and safer for them to say no rather than do the research, I cant imagen that any turbine cant actually use DTI Oil Light, perhaps some one at JC in the know could explain what's different with there turbines and enlighten us.
I noted they say "no" in there manual some time ago but as I don't run JC any more its not an issue for me but have ran all my turbines for many tens of hours of use with out issue for years . Saying that I don't think I would make a point of mentioning it if using it in a turbine that dose not recommend it and having to return it for an unrelated issue as we don't need easy excuses to repair more than is nessercery.

The construction and make up of one make of turbine is much the same as the next, according to a chap I know whom builds model turbines for a liveing, if the oil dissolves in kero, wont separate out over time ,is slippy and burns cleanly its good to go. There are other concierations though, I know that the VT80 is fussy on its oil as it can cause it to hold back during starting as some 2T oils are a bit sticky but VT80s do seem to run on DTI Oil Light fine.

As a point of interest and im sure we all know we are not even using so called proper "Turbine Oil" as turbine oil at all in out model turbines as its intended for use in full size engines. Were using it as a "total loss" oil and the 5% oil mixed in the fuel is further divided so that only 5% (aprox) of the overall fuel reaches the bearings directly, the remainder simply goes to be burnt with the kero. You don't see hundreads of galons of turbine oil being mixed in the fuel at Heathrow when they fill up a 747 to take us on our holls :-)
For us 5% of 5% is not a lot of oil doing a lot of work, those ceramic bearings are amazing bits of kit!

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 09-08-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: to correct bad spelling!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
mmontella

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that if it is good for every other turbine out there, then it should be good for the P140 as well. For now I will abide by the manufactures warning and use something other than the DTE.

Thanks,

Mark
Originally Posted by Mark Vandervelden
Hi MMONTELLA

I'm guessing its easier and safer for them to say no rather than do the research, I cant imagen that any turbine cant actually use DTI Oil Light, perhaps some one at JC in the know could explain what's different with there turbines and enlighten us.
I noted they say "no" in there manual some time ago but as I don't run JC any more its not an issue for me but have ran all my turbines for many tens of hours of use with out issue for years . Saying that I don't think I would make a point of mentioning it if using it in a turbine that dose not recommend it and having to return it for an unrelated issue as we don't need easy excuses to repair more than is nessercery.

The construction and make up of one make of turbine is much the same as the next, according to a chap I know whom builds model turbines for a liveing, if the oil dissolves in kero, wont separate out over time ,is slippy and burns cleanly its good to go. There are other concierations though, I know that the VT80 is fussy on its oil as it can cause it to hold back during starting as some 2T oils are a bit sticky but VT80s do seem to run on DTI Oil Light fine.

As a point of interest and im sure we all know we are not even using so called proper "Turbine Oil" as turbine oil at all in out model turbines as its intended for use in full size engines. Were using it as a "total loss" oil and the 5% oil mixed in the fuel is further divided so that only 5% (aprox) of the overall fuel reaches the bearings directly, the remainder simply goes to be burnt with the kero. You don't see hundreads of galons of turbine oil being mixed in the fuel at Heathrow when they fill up a 747 to take us on our holls :-)
For us 5% of 5% is not a lot of oil doing a lot of work, those ceramic bearings are amazing bits of kit!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 AM
mungrelv8ute

I've been using DTE light for some time and very much like it. Only problem I see is that it is clear. I've seen guys using 2T oil and it is colored so it's easy for them to see (1) if they have put oil in thier kero and (2) how much fuel is in thier tank.
Has anyone tried some sort of dye or color in thier fuel to help with this?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.