Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DER JET COUGAR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DER JET COUGAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 AM
tow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DER JET COUGAR

Anybody have the correct CG for this bird? Also control deflections widely used....... Thnx
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: DER JET COUGAR

Can answer fully later, but I have an 8 year olds birthday party to attend...and I'm late!

Max elevator, max aileron. Much rudder as you can get. Aeroplane was made for an iGyro!
Lots of up needed with flap

Balance Fuselage without the wings, the balance on mine is 15mm behind the two hatch cover joint with some fuel in main tank

Dave
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I get home I can measure my CG and throws if others have not been able to help.

If you search "Der Jet Cougar" in this forum there are many good threads (including one where I asked for accumulated wisdom on CG .. with no answers!) that are worth a look.

One thing I can say for sure .. be careful not to put too much travel on the body flaps .. I learned (and subsequently confirmed with others) that if they travel too far (e.g. as far as the wing flaps) it makes the plane very squirrely on final.

You might contact Eric Clapp, (the US dealer for Jet Central and Der Jet) he may be able to get you a manual ..

Dave
Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 AM
tow

Thankyou all for chiming in! I`m sure it will be useful knowledge. Haven`t flown mine yet so I`m a little anxious :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
tow

How about expo? As for the body flaps, I`ve opened up mine (as per the full-size) I got the feeling they would act like 2 large barn-doors lifting the tail...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Dave Wilshere

The Cougar gets "alive" with or without fuselage flap. I fly mine with 1" only open and Steve Roberts (my Formation cup partner) fly's his with 2 1/2" no difference on how stable, I just have to come off the power earlier.
The Ailerons are small and not overly affective (even at speed) so lots of movement, I have 15% expo as they are dead feeling.
The elevators also are soft and seeing the model does not have a trimable stab you need LOTS of up with full flap, so you can run out if you don't have at least 25mm up available. Expo 10% (but my 24oz smoke tank is infront of the main tank and its really nose heavy at take off.
I have UP2 and UP 4 in the nose, a competition PB and2 x 2600 (light) Li-Pos and I still have 120+ grams of lead in the tail cone pocket.

A rudder gyro helps it a bit in choppy conditions, Aileron and rudder gyro is ideally needed if you fly in rough air or crosswinds. I have neither and its really nice to fly in the calm, any cross wind or choppy air and it fidgits all of the time.
Luckily its got no nasty habbits, it just looks untidy!

I'm guessing I have 10-12mm up with full flap, I can check/measure if someone else does not chime in

Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 PM
tow

I have used this: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Guardian/index.htm on several planes with good result. Might be an idea for the Cougar too.......
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 AM
tow

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

The Cougar gets ''alive'' with or without fuselage flap. I fly mine with 1'' only open and Steve Roberts (my Formation cup partner) fly's his with 2 1/2'' no difference on how stable, I just have to come off the power earlier.
The Ailerons are small and not overly affective (even at speed) so lots of movement, I have 15% expo as they are dead feeling.
The elevators also are soft and seeing the model does not have a trimable stab you need LOTS of up with full flap, so you can run out if you don't have at least 25mm up available. Expo 10% (but my 24oz smoke tank is infront of the main tank and its really nose heavy at take off.
I have UP2 and UP 4 in the nose, a competition PB and2 x 2600 (light) Li-Pos and I still have 120+ grams of lead in the tail cone pocket.

A rudder gyro helps it a bit in choppy conditions, Aileron and rudder gyro is ideally needed if you fly in rough air or crosswinds. I have neither and its really nice to fly in the calm, any cross wind or choppy air and it fidgits all of the time.
Luckily its got no nasty habbits, it just looks untidy!

I'm guessing I have 10-12mm up with full flap, I can check/measure if someone else does not chime in

Dave
I have used this: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Guardian/index.htm on several planes with good result. Might be an idea for the Cougar too.......
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

Tow

I have no information on that system

Dave
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 AM
tow

Well, no, but I have used this on several models and since you mentioned the Cougar could need a gyro...... Well, guess I find out eventually :-)