Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

starter for a G-38

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

starter for a G-38

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter for a G-38

Where can I find a good reliable starter for my G-38,,,,I have a sullivan Hi tork,,,it just doesnt cut the mustard,,not storng enough

THX - TAZZZZ
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: starter for a G-38

You can add the Miller R/C Products to your Sullivan. I'm not sure of the current price but it will solve your problem. http://www.millerrcproducts.com/
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I'm going to sound a bit "old school" here, but for the Zenoah engines I've found a much easier way of starting them than using a battery powered starter motor. I have several Zenoah's, a couple older magneto engines and a couple with electronic ignitions, and all of them are easier to start than my other DLE and DA gas engines. I use the B & B Specialties spring starters for Zenoah engines. Once you have the spring starter installed on your engine to start it all you need to do is wind the prop clockwise (backwards) for a couple of turns and release it. Winding it backwards winds the engine against the spring and then when you release the prop the tension stored in the spring will turn the engine over. You won't have to haul out a battery and starter to start your engine. You can find them here:

My only regret is that they don't make these for other types of engines.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tazzz if you are using your Sullivan Hi Tork at 12 volts then you are not giving it a chance. Voltage is king when it comes to starters, yes I know I get nasty mail every time I suggest that but if you give it a try you are in for a surprise with your Hi Tork.

Here are my top starters for my stuff, they include: one Hi Tork with a small cup, One direct drive Dynathrust with a small cup and my home made geared Dynathrust with a 3 inch cup.

All three I us with both 18 and 24 volt Black and Decker drill batterys. I configure which starter and which battery I use dependend upon my choice of engine(s) that day.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31093.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1904052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68419.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1904053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91769.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1904054  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tazzz if you are using your Sullivan Hi Tork at 12 volts then you are not giving it a chance. Voltage is king when it comes to starters, yes I know I get nasty mail every time I suggest that but if you give it a try you are in for a surprise with your Hi Tork.

Here are my top starters for my stuff, they include: one Hi Tork with a small cup, One direct drive Dynathrust with a small cup and my home made geared Dynathrust with a 3 inch cup.

All three I us with both 18 and 24 volt Black and Decker drill batterys. I configure which starter and which battery I use dependend upon my choice of engine(s) that day.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31093.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1904055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68419.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1904056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91769.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1904057  
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
jmpups

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 G38s, While I am not a big fan of starting engines by hand, both of mine start very easily. I choke the engine by rotating the prop with 10 turns to get it wet with the kill switch on. Bring the throttle back to 1/2, flip it until it pops, turn off the kill switch, bring the throttle back to idle and flip the prop, it should start with 1 or two flips. If you feel better using a starter, find one that operates on 12 volts, and use a 14.8 volt Lipo. They put out a lot of power and the charge will last for months. You wont need a big gear reducer , like Miller puts out. They are good but too bulky to use, and not needed for a G38. JMPUPS
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM
jmpups

Horizon Hobbies,sells a hanger9 12v starter, use A Lipo 14.8 volt battery, it will easily do the job, and the charge will last for months.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM
fly210sv

sullivan dynatron.. Great starter.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok, I'm going to sound a bit ''old school'' here, but for the Zenoah engines I've found a much easier way of starting them than using a battery powered starter motor. I have several Zenoah's, a couple older magneto engines and a couple with electronic ignitions, and all of them are easier to start than my other DLE and DA gas engines. I use the B & B Specialties spring starters for Zenoah engines. Once you have the spring starter installed on your engine to start it all you need to do is wind the prop clockwise (backwards) for a couple of turns and release it. Winding it backwards winds the engine against the spring and then when you release the prop the tension stored in the spring will turn the engine over. You won't have to haul out a battery and starter to start your engine. You can find them here:

My only regret is that they don't make these for other types of engines.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Reminds me of the old Cox spring starter when I was a kid.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

It took a little while to get the procedure down for my G38's but when I did they start by hand in 3 or 4 flips. Before I figured it out I was using my Dynatron starter on 24 volts to crank it.  You have to choke it and get it wet.,,,,but not too wet or it will flood. Again a fine line there.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As John said, Voltage!! For your electric starter 24 volts is great with most gas engines. However, as Ken pointed out, I use the spring starter on my Zinoah's and make sure they are choked wet as mentioned by jmpups. They just need a drop or two of gas out the carb and they are ready to go.