Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F4U Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
speedpro 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM F4U Build

Glad you saved it. Just looking at you pic it looks like you have more flap throw than me
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speedpro-
It seems to me that it had to be speed related because when I slowed the plane to about 1/3 throttle the flaps worked great and the plane was very stable all the way to the ground. I love how slow this plane lands.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM
skillet92

Tevens where is you cg at. I have mine at 4 1/2 inches maybe a hair in front of that and I am thinking of moving it back a bit. Mine flys good but seem nose heavy. Congrats on the maiden and save. I have not had that happen on mine but it does get squirrelly with some speed if I deploy mine to the full down position.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
tevans55

skillet92-

I also have my CG at 4.5" and I needed 1 click of up elevator to fly level. That was a pleasant surprise because my ESM Spitfire and B-25 needed a lot of down elevator as well as my friends ESM FW 190. They all fly nice and fall to their nose on the proper CG but they all have a noticeable amount of down elevator to fly level.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

I hope you fellas don’t mind me joining your ESM Corsair thread. I have logged about 70 hours in just the fuselage of this ESM ARF and Ihave spent more time undoing what I consider to be just bad thinking on the construction on this kit than I have actual building.

I have built and flown the ESM Mustang and the Dauntless and they have many of the same traits I am seeing in the Corsair. Because of the tail heavy nature of the ESM birds I opted to install the DLE 55 RA and the 3bladed adjustable prop instead of piling additional weight into the nose.<o></o>

<o></o>The thrust line on mine was 12 mm too low on the horizontal marked line that was on the firewall when I received it. I just don’t trust the pullpull cabled elevator setup and have no idea why they would have 4 moving pullpull cables co-mingling with your aileron, flap, and retract leads when thewing is installed so I installed the elevator servo in the tail of the plane and moved the rudder servo to the side.

<o></o>

<o></o>I removed the existing servo tray to install all of the electronics,batteries, throttle and choke servos.

<o></o>

<o></o>The fuel tank became a problem as the DLE 55 carb is only18mm from the firewall and the fuel lines won’t fit through the existing hole. Imade an internal change to the fuel tank so I could mount it backwards. The fuel pickup line goes to the rear of the tank with a 180 degree turn made from copperline. I attached additional fuel line to the copper line and ran it back to thefront of the tank with a clunk. Now I can service the fuel tank withoutremoving it.

<o></o>

<o></o>I have a lot of house cleaning to finish in the fuse but youcan get the idea from the picks. I am certainly no self-proclaiming expert hereso any ideas would be most welcome. This is just my answer to the problems Ihave encountered and believe me when I tell you that my head is swimming.

<o></o>

<o></o>I think I will go in for a CAT scan now. I think I felt something snap inside my head after the ESM ARF fuselage reconstruction phase.

<o></o>

<o></o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80209.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1890501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84034.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1890502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88826.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1890503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38423.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1890504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23363.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1890505  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered one today. I'm going with the power 160 on 10 cells(5000MaH), and a 3 blade vario prop.

Casey
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 AM
skillet92

Casey you will like the way it flys. This is my second, my first being lost to a radio failure, and it flys awesome. They will slow down nicely for landing and will handle a wide range of cgs. There is a large thread on these here that has a lot of info. Need any info just ask. The first picture on the bench is my new one. The second coming in for a landing was my first three flights before the radio locked out. My second has a retractable tailwheel and the main gear is converted to electric.

Name:	Jh17259.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1896020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10970.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1896021  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
glazier808

Looks great guys!

It will be a month or two as I'm in the middle of moving my family back to Oahu.

Casey
Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Casey , just so you know I sent my center piece wings into Robart . Doug is working on stock drop in eletric retracts for this plane .
Should be done soon as R & D said there on the building board with the retracts in place
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
tevans55

http://youtu.be/NRcuTz0PqBo

Finally got a video of my plane. DLE 35RA with Sierra retracts and Earl Aune tail wheel.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
f4u19

you know anyone looking for some landing gear for the esm 74" corsair
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
robbie9859901
My Feedback: (5)

I could use the stock tail wheel wire. Mine broke. Please let me know if anyone has an extra.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f4u19
Which versions?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
glazier808

Originally Posted by f4u19

Sent you a PM a while back and got no reply. I've also left a message on your profile page a while ago with no reply.

casey
Old 11-16-2013, 02:43 PM
oldtimer4759

Hi all, I just picked mine up yesterday, it was second hand, but new in box, still in the plastic, it came with the ESM Air retracts, they look OK, the power will be a DLE 35 RA, might try some of the scale flap ideas from this forum.
how about someone start up a F4u Corsair Brotherhood. there are some fantastic models out there,
Oldtimer.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
ALFIEV

Hi Oldtimer,

I have just ordered this model also, should recieve it next week. I don't intend to start building until early in the New Year.... some electronic gear and an engine yet to purchase.
I will keep monitoring this thread if you feel like posting as you go along with the build. I will also make some reports as and when I get cracking. Perhaps this can be of mutual benefit.
I will also read through this entire thread as there appears to be a lot of good gen.
I would certainly welcome comments from those who have gone before....

Cheers and look forward to watching your build.

Alf
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
oldtimer4759

hi all,
finally got around to the test flight, ESM 74", DLE 35RA, ESM air Retracts, weight 8.9kg, CofG 105mm. it has been finished for a while, have been waiting for the right day, the take off was not a problem, I had expected it to be a bit of a problem, nose over and touchy on the rudder, I fed the power in nice and slow, the tail came up and it picked up speed and next thing it was in the air, no hassles, wheels up and went for a bit of height, the trims were almost spot on, it looked great in the air, usual flying around, then up high to see what would happen with flaps down, it slowed down, didnt drop a wing, or go crazy, hardly any change in height, so flaps up and more flying, heaps of power for big loops, would fly well on a 26, but I had the 35, time to land, wheels down, nothing, flew past, the doors were open, but no wheels, retracts, if it has Retracts or Bbs you have problems, well this has retracts, so selected wheels up to close the doors and brought it in, no problems on the approach, skidded to a stop, didnt quite get the engine stopped in time, it broke a prop, that was all, carried it back into the pits, pumped up the air and the wheels came down, but it had an air leak.
I was very happy with the way the model flys, good speed range, looks fantastic coming in towards with that Gull Wing, looking forward to the next flight, I like a forward CofG for test flights, safer, I might move it back, but I doubt it.
the model is great.
Oldtimer.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM
ALFIEV

Hi oldtimer, great to get an update. I had fairly much given up on this thread thinking it was dead.

I have just started the build on mine. Jeez the flaps are an absolute pain in the arse aren't they??!! I'm not thrilled with how mine are sitting, but it seems to be the best fit I can get.

Will be interesting to see how my retracts work, ordered the pneumatic ones, but they sent elctric ones. Might be a good thing aye.

The engine I will use is the NGH GF 38 four stroke. I think it will have enough pulling power. It's all a bit of a trial for me as I have never built anything this big, nor have I ever run a gas engine.

Did you have to add much weight to get your C.O.G?

regards

Alf
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 AM
oldtimer4759

G'day Alf,
it took quite a bit of lead, most of a diving weight belt weight, over 1kg, I probably spent as much time on the Flaps and the gear doors as the rest of the model, it WAS a pain, still not sure if I would do it that way again, but it does look better, even if only from the top.
this is what mine looks like.
Oldtimer.

Name:	ESM Corsair 74 Flaps.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1972993  
Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

Old timer, Just a quick tip. When you hook the tubing to the nipple of the retracts, Push the tubing only half way on then apply a dab of thick CA, and push the tube thereat of the way on.
Also Robart makes a sleeve that threads on over the tubing wince it's in place over the Nipple. The second place for leaks is the shuttle Valve. Be sure to wet it with light oil often. If they still leak, get a set of Sierra LG. They have served me well and I'm going to fly my Corsair again next week. It has many, many, flights and no belly landings!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:59 PM
ALFIEV

Originally Posted by oldtimer4759
G'day Alf,
it took quite a bit of lead, most of a diving weight belt weight, over 1kg, I probably spent as much time on the Flaps and the gear doors as the rest of the model, it WAS a pain, still not sure if I would do it that way again, but it does look better, even if only from the top.
this is what mine looks like.
Oldtimer.
Your flap set-up looks great. Still working on mine.

One thing about using the GF38 besides the noise it makes, it is pretty heavy so hopefully I won't need quite as much weight added. Did you find a spinner for it? I might see if I can make one and use that as a balancing factor also.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM
scootrb4

Thumbs up

This thread is great. Thank you everyone who has contributed.
I'm just starting my ESM F4U assembly. I will be using a VVRC 40cc twin for power
Otherwise it's the same as you other guys... hope I have as much success.
Will post some engine pics when the mounting spacers arrive.

Currently flying the CMP version of this plane with an EVO35GT motor.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 PM
oldtimer4759

Hi,
the DLE 35RA pulls it around without any problems, big loops, I flew a lot of the flight at about half throttle, Prop is JXF 18 X 10.
I didnt use much of the ESM Hardware, I think the SIG easy hinges are better, I used Pull, Pull for the Rudder, but not for the Elevators, I fitted a servo for each elevator, with a Carbon Fibre push rod, (just a safety thing) make sure you brace them to stop any flex, I used 7kg Digital servos for Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons, with 12kg Analogue for the Flaps. (thats what was in the draw)
Flaps, the system I used I found on one of the forums, using a 6mm Robart style pin hinge, the magic bit is getting the right distance out from the wing for the hinge pivot point, think mine was 22mm, that way the flap stays in close to the wing, it took a LOT of fiddling around.
For the CofG I have 3 other ESM War Bird Models, they all fly nice at between 100mm and 110mm, so that is what I went with, it is also about 25% of the wing cord, the spinner is a lump of Alloy that a mate turned up for me, steel would have been better.
The ESM air retracts are quite good, I had a problem on the test flight, it was an air line, nothing to do with the retracts, but pull them apart and put Blue Loctite on every metal screw joint, I also put a few spacers in mine to take out some of the slop, I looked at getting a set of Sierra's for it, because they go 100 deg, but couldnt get any, ESM only go 90 deg, I set the entire air system on the wing, that way there are no seals to drop.
I fitted the cowl to the fuselage first, then I sit the fuselage up against the bench, sit the bare engine with stand offs on the firewall, fit the cowl and line up the engine, mark where to drill the firewall and it all lines up. Works for me. Beef up the inside of the Firewall with fibre glass. I also moved the fuel tank back a bit, (helps with ground handling) plus raised it up to clear the wing,

Oldtimer

Name:	Corsair Front View.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1973551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.Servo.Switches.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1973552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Set up.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1973553  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:51 PM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

OT, One great looking Corsair ! That engine and prop top off a great project.
I'm starting an ESM P-47 and will be using a DLE 35RA.

DO'C
Old 03-01-2014, 02:19 AM
skillet92

Oldtimer in your picture you have a four blade. Is that for show or do you fly with it? I have this plane with a G38 and would love to have a 4 blade. It flys great with an 18x8 or 18x10 xoar but i have a H9 P47 with a 55dle with a biela 20x10 4 blade and it looks NICE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.