Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

Well, the weather cooperated enough with me today to fly the re-maiden of my D9. I was able to get two good flights while the temps were below 90F and the rain wasn't falling. I started out with a 5 minute flight and it went well. My first observation was that the new wing is better than the first, as it took only a few clicks of trim (left) for level flight. I had reset the elevator trim to neutral and it required about the same amount of down trim for level flight, which is a lot. The elevators have a very visible downward angle. But the model flys terrific and it doesn't seem tail heavy. The elevators aren't sensitive, and inverted flight doesn't require much trim at all. The best is that the slow speed stall is so gentle. She just mushes forward without a tendency to drop a wing. I got this kit partially assembled and the elevators were already joined. The left elevator is a mm or two higher than the right, and maybe that's why the model needs left trim. I don't know. But whatever the case, I'm not complaining.

The winds were cross and fairly steady from left to right but only about 5mph or so, not really a factor. The flaps slow the model down so much I have to keep about 1/3rd throttle to maintain altitude. On landing I just have to hold the elevator forward a bit since the flaps also add a lot of up pitch. The flaps don't affect roll much, if at all. Pulsing the throttle controls the descent nicely. I was surprised that the first landing was nearly perfect, the mains touching down without any bounce and the roll out very short, maybe 75 feet from touchdown. If I had to estimate the touchdown speed, I'd have to say 30MPH. I hadn't flown anything since the crash, so I was nervous as heck. The nervousness was totally without merit, as the model flew excellent. I had calmed down by the second flight and put the model through all the paces. This model does all the moves with ease. The motor provides plenty of power for very large loops, and even outside loops. I haven't tried much knife edge flight yet. It might not have enough rudder for it. It does do a pretty convincing four point roll, though. It's not all that fast with the Vess Aero 22B prop, but it's plenty for scale maneuvers, and even the not so scale maneuvers. The second landing was even better than the first. Fantastic model!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Asanders

Awesome, sounds a lot like mine. My elevators also need down trim for level flight. when you look at them prior to take off I almost want to trim them to neutral but it flies well with that trim. After I had assembled the elevator halves I realized they were not symmetrical but the glue had already set. Just a little aileron trim fixes that. It is more noticeable on a large loop where it tends to veer off near the top.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 AM
juweeltje

ORIGINAL: Tone Price

Please check your solder connections on the back of the motor where the red/black wires attach. It is common for these to break loose from shipping/installation. If it were me, I would peel the heat shrink back so I could see the connections then zip tie or fix the wire so that there is no stress on the actual solder point.

This may not be the answer to this specific problem, but it's good to start with the simple things first.

Hi Tone, damm, i didn't see your tip !mine has broken off...I will reinforce the other one with a nylon strip like your picture, so it will hold better for vibrations and windspeed....what should I do now to repair it?open it and try to fix it, or send it back to my dealer here in Holland (Europe).....?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83602.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1904426  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Joespeeder

Hi ticketec,

How is the animatronic pilot? Any tips or tricks now that you've lived with him for a while ? The YouTube videos are very cool but I think those were from when he was new.

Do you have him set up to perform a set routine now as you fly or do you control when he starts moving and stops ?

Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that is Ticketec very sercret secret , I have spoke about that pilot for quite some time , its erry , a legend , an urban lengend , few will walk in the footsteps of the animated pilot man , few will be that brave , many will simply have heads that turn (like me ) with cheapo servos , but only Ticketec will have the real pilot , be warned as these skills are not for the young and frail !!!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Joespeeder

Oh man.... LDM Maybe we should send out a search party for ticketec's pilot?

I had visions of specific routines dancing in my head.... lol One for taxiing, one for normal flight, or something like that.

The tank guys have some very cool programing and a few jet pilots get shown off on the YouTubes. I always wondered about using a gyro hooked to some drive servos to get independent movement. Maybe reverse the movement so the head tracks the flight path naturally??

Both of you guys do some awesome work. I'd love to see any progress or real world reports on Churchill Creations pilots. I thought YTInternational was going to pick up the line or expand it or something...

Joe
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
LDM

Hey Joe, I know said he used some robot parts , but the links are out of my possesion .
I think that makes it easy t get the neck to move up and down .
I was thinking of linking a ball link set up to the rudder and elevator , so I get left right and up and down .
Left right is easy , its the up and down part lol !!!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha,You guys are a cracker!!

I did a build thread of my pilot here with all the links to everything i used:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ics-pilot.html

See, no secret squirrel stuff going on. I didn't link him in with the flight controls because I have seen that done plenty of times and think that it looks very un-natural to have the pilot move to flight control inputs on the ground. Pilots end up doing weird things on the ground just to get their pilots to move... if you watch full sized warbird videos pilots are constantly looking out both sides of the cockpit whilst taxing so I thought it was better to have some randomised movements programmed. It was actually quite a bit of work to try and get somewhat realistic movements and at realistic speeds programmed, but he is programmed on a loop of about 1 minute.

To be honest, I haven't even flown one flight with him onboard. I was worried about the CoG and never really had much time to play around with it either. I have been busy with the build/conversion of a foam 90mm EDF flyfly bae hawk into an aussie, mk127 (build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1649923&page=4 ). Although I have flown my Dora a little bit lately, I have been paying WAY too much attention to jet's instead of my warbirds, because I still have a box full of bits to fit to the Dora sitting here.

Pic's of my pilots current posting.....

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1916848   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	1916855  

Last edited by ticketec; 09-05-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 AM
LDM

Listen Dr FRankensten LOL , thanks for the link , now perhaps I can make a real pilot as my current pilot looks like something from the exorcist with a rotating head !!! ahahahah
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 AM
ticketec

No prob's mate!

I've pretty much finished the Hawk, so I have been thinking of my next project, and a detail and re-paint of the Dora is high on the cards. Still love to fly it and it, to this day, still stops the model field whenever I take it out for a fly.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Joespeeder

Cool Dave...

I have no room to talk, I'm just getting back to the LA7 project that is 3/4 done after more than a year. Too many distractions and other projects.

Changing over from electric to gas has taken some time and a steep learning curve. But I'm very happy so far. Now that more and more 4 stroke gas engines are showing up there's no looking back for me.

I've settled in on 2 fuel jugs a Weedwacker mix and a Warbird mix.... lol. From here on out it's all 4 strokes. The LA-7 is the last 2 cycle I'm planing.

I'll look forward to your updates.

Joe
Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Dowmer
My Feedback: (1)

Gents,
Question on the ESM D9.

I've watched this thread for a long time and I finally got a good deal on the D9 from a great RCU Member. I remember people talking about adding Hysol or more FG or epoxy to the firewall to make sure it is attached, but do people add more ply? It looks to be just shy of 1/4 inch ply. Seems kind of thin. Thoughts? Good as is? It looks like it has plenty of epoxy and FG strands all around the edge.

Joe, I hear ya! I've been converting from electric to gas with the same steep learning curve.

BTW, I'm putting in a working cowl flap system which means that I'll have to modify the cowl attachment wall and points. If anyone is interested I can post a build thread....probably on RCSB. I'm just making it up as I go but I'm plagiarizing some ideas from others much more talented (Gary P. and Evan Q.) and modifying them to work with the D9 configuration.

Jason
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 AM
ticketec

HI Dowmer,

I didn't add any extra ply or hysol to my firewall and she has over 40 flights on it now including an outfield landing where she flipped over and no problems with the firewall at all. My engine is sitting on top of a 1/2 plywood packer, but that was done as an easy way to get the distances correct.

I use everything the kit supplied other than I replaced the hinges with large pin type hinges. she has been fine in that department also. During the overhaul I plan to replace the push pull cable material but that is only because it as stretched a little over time and I want to tighten it back up. like everything, inspect all the parts before you use them on your model, and deburr the holes in the brass eyelets from the push pull cable systems.

I hope to get her out for a fly this weekend with some luck and the weather co-operating.

Good luck!

Thanks

dave

Originally Posted by Dowmer
Gents,
Question on the ESM D9.

I've watched this thread for a long time and I finally got a good deal on the D9 from a great RCU Member. I remember people talking about adding Hysol or more FG or epoxy to the firewall to make sure it is attached, but do people add more ply? It looks to be just shy of 1/4 inch ply. Seems kind of thin. Thoughts? Good as is? It looks like it has plenty of epoxy and FG strands all around the edge.

Joe, I hear ya! I've been converting from electric to gas with the same steep learning curve.

BTW, I'm putting in a working cowl flap system which means that I'll have to modify the cowl attachment wall and points. If anyone is interested I can post a build thread....probably on RCSB. I'm just making it up as I go but I'm plagiarizing some ideas from others much more talented (Gary P. and Evan Q.) and modifying them to work with the D9 configuration.

Jason
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 AM
marisia

has anyone tried the retract unit from shindin machine http://shindinmachine.com/FW190/FW190.html;
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I've worked with those retracts before and from experience, I think you'd be happier with the simpler installation of the Sierra retract unit for this bird, Shindin gear for me worked best in kits due to the longer cylinder.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Dowmer

Thanks Ticketec,

I'll probably keep it pretty stock initially until I get used to it. Then I'll tear it down and bash it to make it scale like Ram did. I have to do the cowl flaps now because if I mount it in the stock way it would be to hard to retrofit later.

Ram,

What is your opinion of the "scaleness' of this ESM D9 plane. I'm looking it over and it seems to have a pretty good outline. It needs a cockpit mod for the instrument panel hood but the overall look is pretty close. Opinion from the Luftwaffe master ):?

Jason
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Ramstein44

Well, I'm no master lol, just a glutton for punishment for the FW190's. I love this plane being an ARF. I like it soo much that I've considered flipping one to a later D11 scheme and for me, it has to look good to consider this.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Dowmer

Thanks Ram,
I concur, it looks pretty darn good and I hear it flies great too. I like detailing more than the actual build so if it all works out then I have a great canvas to work on.

I'm thinking of throwing some Sierra gear on her. I'd love to go electric on the gear but right now it is cost prohibitive. I called D&L and Sierra converted would cost about $1000 total for the conversion and the gear. A little too rich for my blood right now.

Jason
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Ramstein44

I'm actually selling mine to support another build but they do fly really nice. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)

Jason, I have read the rumor that ESM is going back to air retracts and giving up on the electrics for now. I have the electrics and they work well.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Dowmer

Warbird AL,
I've heard the same thing that ESM is giving up on the electric retracts. I've read several posts about problems with them not coming down in flight correctly. Not sure that had anything to do with it but it seems they are having enough problems that they will discontinue them.

Best,
Jason
Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 PM
ticketec

You won't be sorry even with the air sierras.

the only drama you will have with them is communicating with Darryl, other than that, great gear!

thanks

dave
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Dowmer

Thanks Dave,
I know what you mean about Darryl. I did get through to him the other day. He can be a bit cheeky. Good gear though. Too bad it isn't a little more scale with correct drag links. However, they hold up and that is what is important.

Jason
Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 AM
ticketec

yeah,

When I was building my dora I ordered a set of his door collars for the gear. There are different generations of Fw retracts that he has made, which are different diameters, so he had me measure them up.There are 6 collars in total with two different sized collars in the kit. I received 6 collars all the same size, all don't fit my gear at all. Tried to contact him to get it sorted.... No response. $50 odd dollars down the drain. I had an actuator start leaking, contacted him for replacement o-rings... no response. luckily problems with them are pretty rare.

Thanks

dave
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Ramstein44

One thing I can say about Sierras retracts are that they are durable.. I've completely destroyed aircraft and the only parts to survive were the gear.. Well worth the money IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.