Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Aquaholic, Relentless, Hornet F1

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Aquaholic, Relentless, Hornet F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK Aquaholic, Relentless, Hornet F1

A few of us are looking to buy some racing boats for occasional fun at our floatplane lake nothing serious, but we all want to get the same type, budget less radio/batteries is $150.

Looking at these they seem ideal, we would like as much speed for the buck without having changing motors esc etc, happy to use more cells if needed.

We have not much experience with boats but all very experienced airplane modellers, so unsure over the advantages/disadvantages of the different designs above.

Which of the above three would be most suitable / less prone to capsizing and which would be the faster stock setup?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HK Aquaholic, Relentless, Hornet F1

I wouldn't go with either,both have cheap abs plastic hulls.The better boats would be the new outer limits ,smashshark boats and another maybe better option is the pursuit ,all have fibreglass hulls,much better and very stable boats especially the pursuit which is a good running boat.Unfortunateley these are only available in the international warehouse.Although the pursuit bare hull is available in the UK one,if you don't mind building one up from scratch,probs get a better boat that way too as you can use better quality esc than what comes in the rtr versions..
Mart
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Xairflyer

Thanks for reply

We would'nt mind one if it had everything apart from radio motor and esc but not a bare hull, they might only be used 6 times a year when we are out floatplane flying so want something less hassle to get going.

Take your point about the plastic hull, but the persuit and smashshark work out at about $250 which is really more than we want to spend.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
martno1fan

Personally id never use an abs hull where lipos are involved.
Fact is if your esc in the abs hull has a small fire which does happen your whole boat will go up in flames.A friend who runs one of my apache hulls I manufacture who runs it with twin brushless motors had a small fire and it made a heck of a mess in the hull and its a full carbon layup,abs would not have survived that.
$250 isn't so bad for the other rtr hulls when you consider you get a nice glass hull.Ive spoken to a Cpl of guys who have owned both and say for the money there quite nice.
Mart
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
NobodyFamous

If you are looking for something you can just throw in the water and zip around with, without trouble, look at different deep-v hulls.  They will be slower then any other type of hull with the same power, but will be more stable and require less set up tinkering to have fun with.

As well, simply put, more speed requires more money and better tuning.

IMO speed is all relative.  The boat size is relative to the lake size, and speed is relative to the lake size.

If it's a small pond, a small boat that is pretty quick will be fast.  If it's a big lake, a small boat that is so fast it is out of control will actually seem small.

The opposite is also true in that, a large fast boat on a small pond is no fun at all because once it gets up on step and moving you have to turn around.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Xairflyer

We did like the idea of the 26cc petrol boats as one of the guys has one but they are just too slow, maybe it is his boat, the speed of the aquaholic is about right for us, fast enough to be fun and not get bored!

What about the Genesis? little more than our initial budget but looks good
Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 AM
martno1fan

Those rtr petrol boats are junk at least the engines and hardware is,petrol boats are not slow but for a good quality one they cost ££.For instance I built one of my Arrows RTR for a customer it cost him £800 that to me was a bargain for what he got,his boat recently clocked 60+ mph so not all petrol boats are slow far from it ,but you do get what you pay for im afraid.
Mart
Old 07-30-2013, 05:11 AM
NobodyFamous

The Genesis is some what garbage with the stock running gear [from HK].  It should however work all day long if taken care of and run on 3s.  But it is slow for the hull size.  For lots of info and mistakes made have a read through the genesis thread.  It's a good hull. . .
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Xairflyer

What else is out there under $250? that we dont have to build from scratch
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
captain bill
My Feedback: (3)

What about the Surge Crusher? Its a fiberglass hull about 28' long, with running gear, and enough electronics to be quick stock, running on 4s. When the stock speed gets boring you can upgrade the esc and prop and get more out of it. The US warehouse list price is $175, not sure about the international warehouse, just needs a radio and batteries. I personally know nothing about this boat, but the online videos make it look fast enough to be fun. Obviously a less than top quality Chinese made boat, but with maintenance and a little rc experience you should be able to keep it running. Maybe someone who knows more about the boat can add more info. Good luck in your quest. Regards. Bill.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Xairflyer

Thanks will look at that one as well, suggestions dont need to be a HK boat if it is available from a UK stockist
Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 AM
NobodyFamous

The small bolt has had good things said about it and it cheap too. It is quite small, but still fiberglass, and "fast".

not me or my video, just one on youtube.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qy_Qq0lxI0[/youtube]

You can also look at the Apparition-II, it is a little more money, but was considered pretty good stock.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 AM
martno1fan

I can honestly say the Outer limits and smash shark hulls I mentioned before are quality hulls,the gear that comes with them is ok for you to run them stock but the good thing is with it been a glass hull you can upgrade all the internals later.
I have two bare hulls on the way to do just that .
Mart
Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Xairflyer

Mart I am coming round to your way of thinking, big thing put me off other boats is the ABS hulls, and we have agreed no point spending $150 then finding out it was wasted, better to spend a bit more even if they are not going to be used that often, so long as they also look good on the shelf
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Vanguo88

Mono Unlimited, Part 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS2ZhxRTGhE

Mono Unlimited, Part 2/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0dqUsARJo

F1-Unlimited
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6ETJzNW6E

Quite a few of these have shipped to the UK and Netherlands.
The F1-Unlimited have the race proven REK outboard, with upgrade motor/ESC, hit 50+ kmph w/ single 4S Lipo. Stock boat will top out at 35+ kmph on one 3S Lipo, everything is set up to go right out of box. Very reliable OB unit, have flex submerge in a reservoir of lubricant designed for long life operation. ESC can be placed inside or outside the sealed compartment, for people who want to experiment or want to swap their ESC in and out quickly.