Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

READ-ONLY MODE. Really????

Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: READ-ONLY MODE. Really????

ORIGINAL: drac1

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

RCU forum is now open for posting again. The forum software upgrade is delayed due to unforeseen technical issues ... the kid doing the upgrade had to go back to school.

Plus, the system now has additional problems due to the weekend tampering.
If you think it's so bad, why do you keep coming back?
Please quit being a smart mouth. Imagine if you had JohnP2's job. thousands of terrabytes of data with bank accounts, credit card numbers, and much. much more. It is hard to protect that stuff with so many cyber attacks these days. He can never have a "read only" mode, if even, heck, the power goes out!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

+1 to frets24, said it way batter then I could have!

As someone who is in the IT field, its a HUGE job just moving the amount of data on this server alone, then toss in migrating to it to a different system and its 1000 times harder.

Its no surprise it didn't work the first time, it usually doesn't, again due to the amount of data...

Bill S.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 AM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: collector1231

RCU forum is now open for posting again. The forum software upgrade is delayed due to unforeseen technical issues ... the kid doing the upgrade had to go back to school.

Plus, the system now has additional problems due to the weekend tampering.
If you think it's so bad, why do you keep coming back?

Please quit being a smart mouth. Imagine if you had JohnP2's job. thousands of terrabytes of data with bank accounts, credit card numbers, and much. much more. It is hard to protect that stuff with so many cyber attacks these days. He can never have a ''read only'' mode, if even, heck, the power goes out!

Ooooh. I'm not the one bagging RCU. Who cares what JohnP2's job is. Or yours for that matter. If all you can do is critisise, then don't bother.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the General Car forum so forgive me, but this whom I dialogue with most on this forum. Foxy, this is NO WAY inteded toward you as I understand you have no control and I think you are a top-notch moderator.

For anyone that cares, while I don't know RC Cars, I DO know Internet software such as this. I'm starting to wonder if this is some guy in his garage. I take pages that input financial data down 2-3 times per week and never allow a blip in the system. Whomever is operating this is just being lazy. If this gets me banished from this forum - oh well. At least I had my say. ;-)

If you are responsible to this site and are reading this, certainly you can divert traffic to another server. If you only have one web server, then we are in trouble (you know as well as I dobacking is up one thing. estoring is a whole other issue). There are only a few forms that require posting, so if you are on one server and doing somethig with your db, keep those pages up and create a set of tables and update prior to going live.

I love this forum very much - because of the people on here. However, I encourage the decision makers to look at other software and.or maintenance team once existing contracts expire...because this extremely poor software maintenance.

it's a free site, why the rant?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooooh. I'm not the one bagging RCU. Who cares what JohnP2's job is. Or yours for that matter. If all you can do is critisise, then don't bother.
Then I shouldn't criticize your spelling either? [X(]
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha. You guys who want to flame me have at it - but I DO know what I'm talking about here, and I fully understand what is involved with this. At the end of the day, this system is very simplistic. If you think an Internet forum is more complex than financial software, then you've lost all credibility to even discuss this with me.  Comments like "well, why don't you fix it." or "if you don't like it then leave".... .takes nothing away from the fact that it's chock full of bugs. My intent is to edify those who perhaps are not familiar with Internet software this move is ANYTHING but "legendary" in IT. Are you serious? You might want to tap the brakes a little. Not to get "old guy syndrome" but in college when we wrote apps using the Name/Finger protocol to be the first to get our university "online" for the first time....THAT was legendary. I've moved multiple systems MUCH larger than this to new data centers 4-5 times over in my career and we were offline no more than one hour.  Being in IT for 20+ years...yeah, I fully realize there are going to be bugs. In fact, I'm not complaining about the bugs, but instead the approach taken.  If there is a new maintenance team trying to fix all the old problems - great. But to call this move "legendary" is bordering on ridiculous. If your feelings got hurt, I apologize - but I know what I know.

For those that doubt me: think of the last time an Internet software you use was offline (which this essentially was) for three days. If this was the first time it happened, that is one thing - but it's not. It just doesn't happen (often) with today's technology.  I enjoy this forum as much as anyone on here....and consequently have no problem speaking up when I see this becomes tiresome.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha. You guys who want to flame me have at it - but I DO know what I'm talking about here, and I fully understand what is involved with this. At the end of the day, this system is very simplistic. If you think an Internet forum is more complex than financial software, then you've lost all credibility to even discuss this with me. Comments like ''well, why don't you fix it.'' or ''if you don't like it then leave''.... .takes nothing away from the fact that it's chock full of bugs. My intent is to edify those who perhaps are not familiar with Internet software this move is ANYTHING but ''legendary'' in IT. Are you serious? You might want to tap the brakes a little. Not to get ''old guy syndrome'' but in college when we wrote apps using the Name/Finger protocol to be the first to get our university ''online'' for the first time....THAT was legendary. I've moved multiple systems MUCH larger than this to new data centers 4-5 times over in my career and we were offline no more than one hour. Being in IT for 20+ years...yeah, I fully realize there are going to be bugs. In fact, I'm not complaining about the bugs, but instead the approach taken. If there is a new maintenance team trying to fix all the old problems - great. But to call this move ''legendary'' is bordering on ridiculous. If your feelings got hurt, I apologize - but I know what I know.

For those that doubt me: think of the last time an Internet software you use was offline (which this essentially was) for three days. If this was the first time it happened, that is one thing - but it's not. It just doesn't happen (often) with today's technology. I enjoy this forum as much as anyone on here....and consequently have no problem speaking up when I see this becomes tiresome.
Please allow me to explain one thing: (I'm an IT guy myself, and have been involved with RCU since years before it was purchased by IB, I do have a limited amount of knowledge of the bigger picture)
the previous system (created by RCU's founder) was held together with bailing wire, duct tape some bubble gum and a little spit. the Issue IB is now dealing with is getting rid of the 'old' system and replacing it with better software.
(IB owns the Vbulletin software) so the issue is not that it's so hard to get the new system up and running, the issue is getting the new system up and running while retaining ALL the content from the old system.
Sure, IB could just plop the new forum in place and send a message out saying 'Sorry, all the content from RCU over the past 12 years was corrupted during the upgrade, please create new user accounts and start over'
but I don't think THAT would go over very well.
the point I'm trying to make is that as you have correctly pointed out, the old system has more than a few bugs, but since we're trying to keep the content, (but lose the bugs) it's more than a little difficult.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

frets24 - you said it better than I did, and could have. There is going on behind the scenes than a lot of people realize.

Ever try copying a 4GB SD card full of pics and vids over to your computer? How long did it take? Now imagine copying something that's easily 1000 times the size of that 4gb SD card (hell, it's probably 10,000 times bigger)... Add in the risk of file corruption?

Hats off to the RCU IT team!
You forgot while converting those 4gigs to a different format while keeping all the formatting, and data the only messages had in tact.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Ha. You guys who want to flame me have at it - but I DO know what I'm talking about here, and I fully understand what is involved with this. At the end of the day, this system is very simplistic. If you think an Internet forum is more complex than financial software, then you've lost all credibility to even discuss this with me. Comments like ''well, why don't you fix it.'' or ''if you don't like it then leave''.... .takes nothing away from the fact that it's chock full of bugs. My intent is to edify those who perhaps are not familiar with Internet software this move is ANYTHING but ''legendary'' in IT. Are you serious? You might want to tap the brakes a little. Not to get ''old guy syndrome'' but in college when we wrote apps using the Name/Finger protocol to be the first to get our university ''online'' for the first time....THAT was legendary. I've moved multiple systems MUCH larger than this to new data centers 4-5 times over in my career and we were offline no more than one hour. Being in IT for 20+ years...yeah, I fully realize there are going to be bugs. In fact, I'm not complaining about the bugs, but instead the approach taken. If there is a new maintenance team trying to fix all the old problems - great. But to call this move ''legendary'' is bordering on ridiculous. If your feelings got hurt, I apologize - but I know what I know.

For those that doubt me: think of the last time an Internet software you use was offline (which this essentially was) for three days. If this was the first time it happened, that is one thing - but it's not. It just doesn't happen (often) with today's technology. I enjoy this forum as much as anyone on here....and consequently have no problem speaking up when I see this becomes tiresome.
You sure about that? this site is pretty massive, think about all the posts, pictures, videos, links ect over the last 12 years that have to be moved.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Eman77

One thing you should bear in mind - you get paid to do what you do. Do the IT folks for RCU get paid? If so, is it anywhere what you'd make in the private sector on non-free sites?

In my mind, that's a huge factor. I'm in web IT myself, and we pulled off a massive migration with minimal downtime this year. BUT - we all get paid quite well to do it, and there were a lot of us involved. Somehow, I doubt that a free forum has a paid staff equivalent to my company. And we're a small tech group, to be honest.

If it's done on the cheap, it's not going to be a rocket fast, flawless transition.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: t-max97

You sure about that? this site is pretty massive, think about all the posts, pictures, videos, links ect over the last 12 years that have to be moved.
Agree with you I've tried moving an old database to a new platform once at an old job. We lost 80% of the data... and it took 2 days. The DB(which was some in house made software) was no where near as complicated as a forum that has been cobbled together over the years.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
drac1

Then I shouldn't criticize your spelling either? [X(]
Well if that's all you can come up with, why not I suppose. Just because you do things a certain way in the US, doesn't make it the only way. You spell your way we spell ours.

And don't forget. Whatever happens, we will always be one day ahead of you.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
JohnP2

Yes. I am more than sure about that. Currently we have no purge thresholds and over750 databases (yes they are normalized). Configuration data probablyconsumes 2/3 of that with ~ 3-4 billion records. Transactional data probably 5 billion records. If anyone wants to know specific techinical information, PM me. I will provide my phone number and walk you through everything in detail (but unless you are a geek such as myself you'll be bored to tears. Regardless, the offer is THERE).

Regardless of pay, staff count, etc. I stand by my statement that going off-line for 3 days is poor (just like the stabillity of this software).

To that end - I'll put my money where my mouth is. Due to the instability of this software and guys like Drac1 (he is just an example) it's now lost one more member. Of course 99% of the members who leave (and you should request to see those stats) won't bother telling you WHY they are leaving -
This was a great forum and still is to a degree. Howeverunstable software (and guys like DRAC1) make it not evenworth the effort. A year from now when folks wonder why this forum has waned so muchhe is a perfect reason. Good luck with it all. ;-)

1QwkSport2.5r - I think I was unfair with you in a recent post and want to aplogize for that. I hope you forgive me. I was the victim of reading things one way that probably meant another, but even if that is not the case I should not have lashed out at you like that. Again, I'm sorry as that is not my demeanor.

Finally, I once owned an moderated a forum with as much traffic as this...and I STILLsay JF (Foxy) is the best moderator I've seen - so ya'll be cool to him.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
JohnP2

Yes. I am more than sure about that. Currently we have no purge thresholds and over750 databases (yes they are normalized). Configuration data probablyconsumes 2/3 of that with ~ 3-4 billion records. Transactional data probably 5 billion records. If anyone wants to know specific techinical information, PM me. I will provide my phone number and walk you through everything in detail (but unless you are a geek such as myself you'll be bored to tears. Regardless, the offer is THERE).

Regardless of pay, staff count, etc. I stand by my statement that going off-line for 3 days is poor (just like the stabillity of this software).

To that end - I'll put my money where my mouth is. Due to the instability of this software and guys like Drac1 (he is just an example of someone who never posts unless it is to call someone out) it's now lost one more member. Guys like Neal might have the stomach to fight with guys such as this - but I don't. It's just not worth my time. Of course 99% of the members who leave (and you should request to see those stats) won't bother telling you WHY they are leaving -
This was a great forum and still is to a degree. Howeverunstable software (and guys like DRAC1) make it not evenworth the effort. A year from now when folks wonder why this forum has waned so muchhe is a perfect reason. Good luck with it all. ;-)

1QwkSport2.5r - I think I was unfair with you in a recent post and want to aplogize for that. I hope you forgive me. Iprobably read it one way that meant another, but even if that is not the case I should not have lashed out at you like that. Again, I'm sorry as that is not my demeanor.

Finally, I once owned an moderated a forum with as much traffic as this...and I STILLsay JF (Foxy) is the best moderator I've seen - so ya'll be cool to him.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
phmaximus

but a simple striped grub screw keeps u suck for days???? go figure

seriously did RCU criticize you when u had problems working out a basic starterbox?
striped tower screw? use of locktight?
No we dident. why... because its FN rude, that's why

im very doubtfull u can come up with a better idea for RCU.
merging to vbullition is a step in the right direction and is there idea.

what's yours?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
drac1

Yes. I am more than sure about that. Currently we have no purge thresholds and over 750 databases (yes they are normalized). Configuration data probably consumes 2/3 of that with ~ 3-4 billion records. Transactional data probably 5 billion records. If anyone wants to know specific techinical information, PM me. I will provide my phone number and walk you through everything in detail (but unless you are a geek such as myself you'll be bored to tears. Regardless, the offer is THERE).

To that end - I'll put my money where my mouth is. Due to the instability of this software and guys like Drac1 (he is just an example of someone who never posts unless it is to call someone out) it's now lost one more member. Guys like Neal might have the stomach to fight with guys such as this - but I don't. It's just not worth my time. Of course 99% of the members who leave (and you should request to see those stats) won't bother telling you WHY they are leaving -
This was a great forum and still is to a degree. However unstable software (and guys like DRAC1) make it not even worth the effort. A year from now when folks wonder why this forum has waned so much he is a perfect reason. Good luck with it all. ;-)

1QwkSport2.5r - I think I was unfair with you in a recent post and want to aplogize for that. I hope you forgive me. I probably read it one way that meant another, but even if that is not the case I should not have lashed out at you like that. Again, I'm sorry as that is not my demeanor.

Finally, I once owned an moderated a forum with as much traffic as this...and I STILL say JF (Foxy) is the best moderator I've seen - so ya'll be cool to him.
It's a free site to use. If all you have to do is complain about it then like I said, don't bother.

Let the ones who are happy with the site, use it for what it is intended without criticism from those who think they know better.

Remember. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
On2_n_On4

Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
drac1

Lol.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Rob2160

Well if that's all you can come up with, why not I suppose. Just because you do things a certain way in the US, doesn't make it the only way. You spell your way we spell ours.

And don't forget. Whatever happens, we will always be one day ahead of you.
LOL.. I always love going to the USA and setting my car GPS to "Miles" reminds me of whenI was a kid in the 60s sitting in the back of Dad's car.

And don't forget they have "Root Beer"....

That has a whole different meaning in OZ..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Foxy

I dare say I am one of the more experienced IT professionals on this site, I have 24 years actual on the job experience, and currently consult on applications deployment strategies to one of the biggest companies in the world, but in the past I've worked on Bank data migrations as well as many much larger application migrations. You could even say that this kind of problem that RCU is facing is in fact my specialty.Having said that, I'm not going to say that the guys at IB (and yes I know a lot of the backoffice story around here too) have always displayed total competence and good procedures, HOWEVER... I have to admit that the enormity of this type of migration is of galactic proportions. Lest we forget, a few billion bank records does not even equate to the byte count of just the posts here on rcu, let alone the images, which would equate to TRILLIONS of bank records. Then there's the nature of the data, posts written in the different forum 'languages' - bbcode, html and the wysiwyg interface, all of which must be migrated to a single language, together with image conversion to conform to new site rules, changes in tags such as 'link' to 'url', finding a way to deal with corrupt posts, the number of which cannot be known, and finding a way for the migration process not to stop dead when it encounters data integrity issues, and finally migrating the actual configuration of the site for every user, every vendor, every moderator, every forum, etc.Then there's the thing about downtime... John, how exactly do you propose to move a bucket of water out from under one tap, place it under another, with both taps running, without losing any water. It is of course impossible, so at some point the tap must be turned off. An intermediary database could be used and then merged but it would have to have an identical schema to the main database and also somehow be compatible with both svhemas, it just isn't feasible for a deployment of this size. Much better a week of downtime than 2 weeks of extra work to prevent downtime. Yes, forums are simple, but this isn't just any forum...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 AM
AMA 74894

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I dare say I am one of the more experienced IT professionals on this site, I have 24 years actual on the job experience, and currently consult on applications deployment strategies to one of the biggest companies in the world, but in the past I've worked on Bank data migrations as well as many much larger application migrations. You could even say that this kind of problem that RCU is facing is in fact my specialty.Having said that, I'm not going to say that the guys at IB (and yes I know a lot of the backoffice story around here too) have always displayed total competence and good procedures, HOWEVER... I have to admit that the enormity of this type of migration is of galactic proportions. Lest we forget, a few billion bank records does not even equate to the byte count of just the posts here on rcu, let alone the images, which would equate to TRILLIONS of bank records. Then there's the nature of the data, posts written in the different forum 'languages' - bbcode, html and the wysiwyg interface, all of which must be migrated to a single language, together with image conversion to conform to new site rules, changes in tags such as 'link' to 'url', finding a way to deal with corrupt posts, the number of which cannot be known, and finding a way for the migration process not to stop dead when it encounters data integrity issues, and finally migrating the actual configuration of the site for every user, every vendor, every moderator, every forum, etc.Then there's the thing about downtime... John, how exactly do you propose to move a bucket of water out from under one tap, place it under another, with both taps running, without losing any water. It is of course impossible, so at some point the tap must be turned off. An intermediary database could be used and then merged but it would have to have an identical schema to the main database and also somehow be compatible with both svhemas, it just isn't feasible for a deployment of this size. Much better a week of downtime than 2 weeks of extra work to prevent downtime. Yes, forums are simple, but this isn't just any forum...
+1.
Foxy nailed it as usual.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Im not sure what all the fuss is about, when I have problems with my pc I just take it down to Best Buy and fix it right up!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Why I said in my 1st post another forum that had a mis-mash of formatting types said screw it, just deleted all the old posts, and accounts when they changed over last year. They didn't even have the picture issues to deal with, and said it would be too hard.

Hell remember when I had my buddy make me a DB that was similar to a forum(it was for actual data but the format the software used looked exactly like forum posts), and how it took him a week to scrape the data off about 700k entries for it, and half of which were corrupted in the translation.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

I agree, this won't be easy considering the many computer languages that need to be converted to that of Vbulletin. First, the information needs to be re-written to a basic format like ASCII or Boolean, then converted to Vbulletin. So yeah, it will take some time. Plus, foreign languages (like Chinese, Dutch, German, and Korean) don't help any either.

我同意,這考慮到許多的編碼的語言 需要到北京創新樂本站的轉換並不容 。首先,代碼需要被改寫的基本 式 (如 ASCII 或布林值,然後轉換為北京創新樂本 。是的它將需要一些時間。 上外國 言 (如*文) 不幫任何要麼。所以,是的。它要一 婊*要轉換為新北京創新樂本站代碼 所有語言

Ik ben het eens, dit zal niet gemakkelijk zijn gezien de vele computertalen die moet worden geconverteerd naar die van Vbulletin. Ten eerste, de informatie moet worden herschreven om een elementaire vorm zoals ASCII of Boolean, dan geconverteerd naar Vbulletin. Dus ja, het zal enige tijd duren. Plus helpen vreemde talen (zoals Chinees) niet elke hetzij.

Ich stimme, dies wird nicht einfach, wenn man bedenkt die viele Computersprachen, die mit der Vbulletin konvertiert werden müssen. Zunächst muss die Informationen grundlegende Formate wie ASCII oder Boolean umgeschrieben werden, dann zu Vbulletin umgewandelt. Also ja, wird es einige Zeit dauern. Darüber hinaus helfen nicht Fremdsprachen (wie Chinesisch, Niederländisch, Deutsch) nicht.

나도 동의이 쉬운 Vbulletin의 변환 해야 하는 많은 컴퓨터 언어 되지 않습니다. 첫째, 보는 ASCII 또는 부울 같은 기본 형식으로 다시 작성을 Vbulletin로 변환 해야 합니다. 그래서 그래, 그것이 몇 시간을 걸릴 것 이다. 게다가, 외*어 (중*어, 네덜란드어, 독일어, 한*어)와 같은 어떤 중 하나 도움이 되지 않습니다.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

but a simple striped grub screw keeps u suck for days???? go figure

seriously did RCU criticize you when u had problems working out a basic starterbox?
striped tower screw? use of locktight?
No we dident. why... because its FN rude, that's why

im very doubtfull u can come up with a better idea for RCU.
merging to vbullition is a step in the right direction and is there idea.

what's yours?

LOL This just got ugly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.