Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Large scale tanks sound and drive systems

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Large scale tanks sound and drive systems

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM
easyy 11
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large scale tanks sound and drive systems

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

I would like to look into sound and ESC for the 8 scale tanks .

Who makes those devices for reasonable amounts ?

Cheers
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
pitty0979

Default RE: Large scale tanks sound and drive systems

Try Dimension engineering and 4QD. These are a few off the top of my head.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

THis site: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...lers_main.html

has a useful configurator for letting you figure out what you need and then try and sell it to you.

Dont know about sound systems......

Saying all that, as far as Iremembered, the large scale manufacturers like Mark -1 used to sell their electronic components separately (like ESCs) for about 90.00 STG.

p
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 AM
easyy 11

Can the Benedini or Clark systems be used in conjunction with some sort of ESC ?

Perhaps someone who tried may know ?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TBS5 or TBS mini can be used with whatever speed controller you want these Benedini sound units are about the best available, Clark is not in the same league
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 AM
easyy 11

I have a Clark now and its very good .

May not have the finest detail like the Benedini but cost is different as well .

So any of the systems can be used with larger ESC s ?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All systems play wav files. All systems sound equal when firing a cannon, engine, idling, starting or stopping. These are just single wav files that are just simply played.

I could take an $18 sound card from 123 electronics and play engine start and stop files that rival anyone's. What makes convincing sound is how the software manipulates the wav files to represent an engine coming off idle and going into motion and then back to stop. This is the single thing that separates the best from the rest, and currently yes it doesn't come cheap. It seemed at one time Clark was going to go down this round, but appears as if he may have pulled back. He did showcase a video recently that leads me to believe he is back in the game. However don't expect this to be cheap either at some point the quality your ear requires for sound to be beleivable will cost you.

A $500 sound system in a $12,000 tank is normal. So when you start talking larger scales the quality of sound hardware is generally better. However most people buying Heng Longs are not in the market for a $500 sound system.

I don't know how the Benedini manages the wav files so well, but it does. The only other system I know that seems to be able to produce the seemless engine transitions is a Company called Model Solutions based in Canada. Again not cheap. I have no experience with them other then the examples they showcoase on their site, which are very good examples fully showing the tank moving off of idle and ramping out to full speed with amazing transitions. Minimum voltage requirement is 10 volts which kind of moves it out of the 1/16 scale market.

Your question about who makes these systems for reasonable amounts is a tough one to answer. IF you think a $139 Benedini is expensive you best not get into anything larger then 1/16 scasle tanks. Because $139 is just the tip of that iceberg.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM
lposter

Just wondering....where does the Beier system fit in to all this?Mid range? Poor? Works in big tanks?p
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: lposter

Just wondering....where does the Beier system fit in to all this?Mid range? Poor? Works in big tanks?p

I don't have a Beier system, but the videos I have seen of it actually running seem to indicate to me it suffers the same frequency shift ailment as most of the others when it comes time to kick the tank in gear. However sound files on programmable cards are only as good as the person who built them. So some of that might be what I am hearing. My first files on the Benedini are nowhere as good as some of the recent ones I produce now.

It would be nice to have someone who runs a Beier card give us a demo of the card in action to compare. No one can say I haven't hung the Benedini out there to be compared against. I recently modded a Leo file once again,(Last night) and I am very pleased with how this one turned out. I will post that soon

Beier caters to the Heng Long crowd and actually makes a sound unit that will work with Stock Heng Long electronics. IF you had no interest in IR and just wanted good sound, then Beier has a product that does that.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
wsn123

I agree with this opinion about Benedini - in addition one more advantage of Benedini - the great library of tank engine sounds - Model Solutions sound samples quality is not so good /in my personal opinion/.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Jussek

ORIGINAL: YHR

It would be nice to have someone who runs a Beier card give us a demo of the card in action to compare. No one can say I haven't hung the Benedini out there to be compared against. I recently modded a Leo file once again,(Last night) and I am very pleased with how this one turned out. I will post that soon
hi all, i've done this several times already ;-)

you can hear my profiles for the Köti and for the Tiger here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4enpzKdZAU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMo-3IREYDs[/youtube]

note:
- the march sounds for the Köti are from a Panther, i've not found yet any good source to work with. All the others (start, stop, idle...) are from a Köti.
- the sounds for the Tiger are from the Bovington 131

best regards
Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM
YHR

That sounds really good to me. Sound transitions are flawless, and I would rate this very highly. Thank you. That is a really good sound file.

I see why Thomas considers this his only competition.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Jussek

hi all, i've done this several times already ;-)

you can hear my profiles for the Köti and for the Tiger here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4enpzKdZAU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMo-3IREYDs[/youtube]

note:
- the march sounds for the Köti are from a Panther, i've not found yet any good source to work with. All the others (start, stop, idle...) are from a Köti.
- the sounds for the Tiger are from the Bovington 131

best regards
Do they have an English website. That is what held me back from looking into the Beier system, Some of this stuff is intimidating enough without having a language barrier as well. I guess this looks to be 40 Euros more then a Benedini, so it kind of helps with my piint that if you want the best sound, you are going to have to pay for it. These are just sound units as well so the Beier/Benedini/Clark comparisons are not fair to Clark. He has produced a budget all in one card that sounds decent

What are you running for voltage in this set up?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
lposter

I guess this looks to be 40 Euros more then a Benedini,

Ithought the Beier was cheaper than Benedini ....not even more than it?

Beiers USM-RC-2 with the sound DVD is 149 euros (his most expensive unit) ...... and Im assuming thats all you really have to have.

Benedinis TBS-5 is 215 euros?

Icould be wrong though.......

The attraction of Beier for me at least is that he has a Norwegian distributor......

p
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 AM
Jussek

hi all,

i'm glad that you love them! i'm using the beier USM-HL because my cats are HL/torro with the RX18, thus the only direct way -and cheaper- to have good sounds was this card and let the ellectronics out of the equation.

In the future i would like to have a benedini too, but only if the 'brains' of the tank are not a RX18...

you can post any doubt on the beier forum in english, or writte to them directly to ask anything, no issues with language there ;-)

i have to be honest... in my sound profiles i did a little trick. The Beier could manage up to 5 movement forward sounds, with a transition sound in between every two of them. But after a lot of work from my part with not too good results for my taste, i had the idea of use only two very long records with the gear switching 'included' and used them. As they are very long, the 'cyclic' sound beign replayed effect is almost not noticeable...

best regads!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:12 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Jussek

hi all,

i'm glad that you love them! i'm using the beier USM-HL because my cats are HL/torro with the RX18, thus the only direct way -and cheaper- to have good sounds was this card and let the ellectronics out of the equation.

In the future i would like to have a benedini too, but only if the 'brains' of the tank are not a RX18...

you can post any doubt on the beier forum in english, or writte to them directly to ask anything, no issues with language there ;-)

i have to be honest... in my sound profiles i did a little trick. The Beier could manage up to 5 movement forward sounds, with a transition sound in between every two of them. But after a lot of work from my part with not too good results for my taste, i had the idea of use only two very long records with the gear switching 'included' and used them. As they are very long, the 'cyclic' sound beign replayed effect is almost not noticeable... [img][/img]

best regads!

OK thanks for the revelation . For clear comparison it would be nice if you could just show us how the Beier handles instantaneous throttle responses.

Benedini TBS ( which I use in all my examples) is only $139
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 AM
lposter

Igot to ask.......where can Iget the benedini for 139 dollars? Which is only in effect 109 euros.

The TBS-MINI on Benedinis USdistributors site is 155 dollars.

Icannot find where the TBSunit is for sale in the US (from Benedinis official distributor list).

The TBS 5 is 200 euros on Benedinis site which is 265 dollars. ie. Twice the amount being quoted in this thread.......

p
Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 AM
easyy 11

Very nice sound guys

How are the amplifiers in those units ? how many watts will they put out ?

Do we have to run a separate amp ?

Pls explain
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 AM
easyy 11

lposter

Battle Armor RC sells them for that amount

pls look them up

Not a bad deal at all !!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 AM
lposter

Not a bad deal at all
certainly isnt!!! Not often one finds things cheaper in a country in which it wasnt manufactured. Even allowing for taxes it would probably be cheaper!!!!

Benedini.de will be doing himself out of business if people figure out its half the price in the states....

p

Hang on a second...... Icannot find them on the Battle Armor RCsite?All they have is the DBC without Benedini and nothing else?Or am Imissing something?

p
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 AM
easyy 11

Contact them direct via email

shipping can t be that bad either

There is also Clark from Immortal Hobbies RC

Few choices different price plans for everyone
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 AM
YHR

I am the distributor for Benedini's ( tank related) in NA. Information about the product and price list is on my website.

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/soundbattle-system.html]Battle Armor[/link]

Cheers
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 AM
YHR

Not a bad deal at all
certainly isnt!!! Not often one finds things cheaper in a country in which it wasnt manufactured. Even allowing for taxes it would probably be cheaper!!!!

Benedini.de will be doing himself out of business if people figure out its half the price in the states....

p

Hang on a second...... I cannot find them on the Battle Armor RC site? All they have is the DBC without Benedini and nothing else? Or am I missing something?

p

I sell the Benedini TBS mini for the exact same price as Benedini himself does. The advantage for guys in NA is the shipping, and the customer service I provide for tanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 AM
lposter

I am the distributor for Benedini's ( tank related) in NA. Information about the product and price list is on my website.

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/soundbattle-system.html]Battle Armor[/link]

Cheers
You should ask him to update his website.....he still has some other outfit called aerosound as his NA distributor.....and they dont seem to be foucssed on tanks much.

p
Old 07-31-2013, 05:53 AM
easyy 11

Okay we are deviating from this now guys .

Large Scale Tanks application [8D]

Someone pls explain how the entire system works ?

Sound / ESC / Turret + Gun Elevation

Small flow diagram would be great to make things clear.

I m aware that the Clark does in all in one unit .

Let s see how others approached this matter .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.