Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Club FOX!

One option would be to open a Post Office Box. That way items will be held there till you pick them up.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM
fmichaelb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carddfann is correct about them doing all their castings in the fall and winter because it heats the building for them at no extra cost.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
hsukaria

Well, I figured it's time to give an update on my now infamous Fox 74 Eagle IV. I had replaced the head button last year to the latest design from Fox Manufacturing. It helped resolve the problem I was having with engine quitting in flight. I had also added baffling in my engine cowl to improve cooling. I had switched to 0% nitro to help cool it down. But this year, I decided to switch it to 5% nitro since my other 2-stroke engines are running on 5%. However, all this time I had noticed that the engine was still running fairly hot. So, I got advice from Konrad and Earlwb to measure the cylinder head clearance. The recommended clearance was supposed to be 0.01 inch. I measured 0.004 inch[X(] There were no head shims in this engine and I bought it used, so I didn't know.

I called Fox Manufacturing and they told me that the head clearance should be somewhere between .01 inch and .025 inch. They happened to have head shims available for the 74 (they were out of the 60 head shims at that time in case you are wondering) and I purchased some. They arrived promptly in 2 days. I installed them and put the engine on the test stand. I also happen to have a Jett Engineering tuned muffler with an adapter for Fox.

Each shim is 0.012 inch (0.3 mm) thick. So I added 2 shims, bringing the total head clearance to 0.028 inch. I ran some testing and I might reduce it down to 1 shim later. Here are my results, more testing might follow:

Fox stock tilt-up muffler, 5% nitro with 18% synth and 2% castor approx., Zinger Pro wood 13x6 prop. - 10,500 rpm
Jett tuned muffler, same fuel and prop - 11,200 rpm.

Both tunings were on slightly rich settings. The throttle transition with the Jett muffler stumbled a bit from idle to WOT, so I will need to adjust the LSN. It is interesting to note that I was getting similar numbers without the added shims 10,500 rpms. I think the benefit of adding the shims is that the engine will be running cooler and I won't have to constantly tweak the HSN and worry about engine stalls. Having the head shims will also permit me to use the Jett tuned muffler.

I know that the Jett tuned muffler would probably give a bigger boost if I ran a smaller prop. So, I might try a 12x6 later. I will also attempt a 14x8 just to see what it does. We'll see.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advice from Earlb is good, but be careful with whatever Konrad has to say about glow engines.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM
hsukaria

In my case, there was no controversy or disagreement. I just don't know how my engine had such a tight head clearance when Fox sets them at least .02 inch. This engine has caused me to learn a lot, but given a chance to do it all over again, I would have bought it new from Fox and enjoyed it more (ignorance is bliss?).
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
carddfann

Speaking of mufflers, has any one else noticed the price of Fox's mufflers on their website? I just saw where their 45 size tilt up/down is $62 bucks and their 60/74 is $69![X(]
That is crazy! However, I haven't checked competitor's mufflers yet so maybe they too shot up. I'll be shopping ebay for replacement mufflers and going to swap meets. Last year, I picked up a new looking 40 tilt down from a "1 dollar" box at a swap meet.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM
hsukaria

Those are my best mufflers, $5 each from swap meets. Fox mufflers are way outdated design and I only use them during bench testing as a baseline comparison.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah unfortunately the value of the US Dollar has dropped a lot on us. Wait till you price some stuff that gets imported from overseas.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 AM
hsukaria

The dollar value drop has been going on for 5 years at least. But also just recently, last few days, it took a plunge. At least the Fox mufflers will be cheap for somebody buying in China!!!
\
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
jafo150

I use Irvine mufflers. Work great!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
hsukaria

you mean Irvine mufflers on Fox engines? Do they fit directly or do you need adapters? I have a couple of 40 Irvine mufflers, but my Fox is a 74, so no dice. I know that some MVVS mufflers fit Fox engines, I have a couple of those.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
jafo150

Yes Irvine mufflers on a fox .46 fits perfectly with no adaptors
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: jafo150

Yes Irvine mufflers on a fox .46 fits perfectly with no adaptors
that's good to know
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the Rossi engine mufflers also fit the Fox engines too. Of course Rossi changed their muffler mounting screw hole width on the new engines, but the older ones fit just fine too.  I used a Pitts muffler made for a Rossi engine on one of my Fox .45 engines. It bolted right on no problem.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Here is so info on muffler compatibility:

The Eagle II, III, and IV ( 60 & 74) use the same muffler pattern. I thought I remembered that the Fox 40 & 45 shared dimensions with the OS fsr 40 & 45, but the chart suggest otherwise......

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ca82002.pdf (48.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: blw

Advice from Earlb is good, but be careful with whatever Konrad has to say about glow engines.
That seems a bit out of place to single out a member in that fashion, doesn't it?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Bill G

Since I can't edit my last post, I'll be clear that their are no personal hidden agendas with Konrad. In fact, when I first came across him, I didn't care for his comments and critiques in my threads, so it is not a personal "stick up for your friends" thing going on here. If I did have a problem with his comments however, I would at least give him the respect of being clear about exactly what I didn't like about them, versus telling people to essentially ignore his comments. Like other people I've met on the forums, that's partly why I eventually started having conversations with them and enjoying discussion with them, when I didn't initially care for them. We were both straight about our issues with each other, versus making negative comments about each other.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
blw

Konrad isn't a member of RCU. He was banned for several reasons, chiefly for endless arguing and trolling, AND for posting bogus advice that led to more endless arguments. Members were begging for an end to the chaos and troublemaking.

I do believe that we should caution about known sources of false information that can cause those learning the ropes to waste money, or do improper things.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

Konrad isn't a member of RCU. He was banned for several reasons, chiefly for endless arguing and trolling, AND for posting bogus advice that led to more endless arguments. Members were begging for an end to the chaos and troublemaking.

I do believe that we should caution about known sources of false information that can cause those learning the ropes to waste money, or do improper things.

If he is banned then why would you need to warn people about what he says? He won't be posting obviously and so saying this just looks like a cheap shot to me.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM
blw

The poster said that he went to 5% nitro this year and then sought the advice of earlwb and konrad. (Earlwb is a good source for advice) I took this to mean that the advice was recent, and long after the ban. There are other sites of course, so the post was written where I could assume the advice came from another site recently.

This is getting off the topics of Hsukaria's Fox and the muffler charts.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
hsukaria

I guess I have to explain myself. After Konrad was banned from RCUniverse, I continued to get his help through personal emails as well as help from here in RCUniverse.

My experience with RCUniverse has been a very positive one. One thing that RCUniverse has that other forums doesn't have is the User Reviews section and a very structured Buy and Sell procedure that helps ensure honest sales. Also, the engines forums here are usually very helpful, and I subscribe to the Fox, Saito, and Super Tigre forums. I was especially attracted to the Fox forum because of the depth of helpful details, and some of that came from Konrad's expertise as well as others like earlwb. I happened to buy a used Fox engine that required knowledge in engines that I didn't have, and that knowledge was readily available in this forum.

I don't know Konrad personally, just from this forum. Also, based on my own experience, people's writing style varies quite a bit. Konrad's writing style might, in my opinion, seem too direct for some people. But once you realize that and engage with him in a detailed conversation related to engines, especially Fox engines, you will realize that he is not on a secret agenda or trying to stir up trouble. So, I don't know enough about forum management or what to do about this issue, I just want to let people know that his help, and the rest of you guys in the Fox forum, has been very helpful in getting my engine fixed and helping me learn more about engines. As a matter of fact, I am about to go this afternoon and purchase a used plane (through the RCU Buy and Sell, of course) to put the Fox engine into it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Cougar429

Had a major sinus attack last week, so had my turbine friend fly the Saito 100 powered Super Bolt and try the F-15. Tweaked it on the ground, but during extended idle it seemed to load up quite a bit, but once airborne would go like stink at full throttle.

Setting up for landing the motor seemed to lack a lot of fine throttle control and continued to stay revving till it quit completely, ending up in the corn with no damage. Two things come to mind. First is the pump output may be to aggressive and mid throttle loads the fuel in too much, (running the Perry pump carb). Second is that muffler has a rather narrow tuned pipe effect with performance falling off drastically when off full throttle. May have to get more tweaking in or try the stock muffler to see how it reacts.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Had a major sinus attack last week, so had my turbine friend fly the Saito 100 powered Super Bolt and try the F-15. Tweaked it on the ground, but during extended idle it seemed to load up quite a bit, but once airborne would go like stink at full throttle.

Setting up for landing the motor seemed to lack a lot of fine throttle control and continued to stay revving till it quit completely, ending up in the corn with no damage. Two things come to mind. First is the pump output may be to aggressive and mid throttle loads the fuel in too much, (running the Perry pump carb). Second is that muffler has a rather narrow tuned pipe effect with performance falling off drastically when off full throttle. May have to get more tweaking in or try the stock muffler to see how it reacts.
Uh, shouldn't this be in Club Saito instead of Club Fox?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Jonie

Hi i am a heli flyer an i want to buy a gas rc heli that can fly for some time and carry some weight. I have been locking one the DHL Aeolus 50 nitro gas rc helicopter 8 channel and the Large Scale 26cc Zenoah Engine 3D Capable Gas-powered RC Helicopter - Upgrade Version - RTF are theese okay for me? (I havent flewn more than half a year)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Cougar429

Sorry, the F-15 has the Eagle IV 60. Covered in previous postings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.