Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SubSonex personal jet!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SubSonex personal jet!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SubSonex personal jet!

I fly passenger jets for a living and model jets in my down time, (when I get a chance!), and have always wondered about owning a sport aircraft for private flying. Imagine if that aircraft was a jet and it cost around $100K! This aircraft seems to fit the bill and the reason why I am posting on here is I reckon that it would make a sensational model. Straight wing, slab fuselage, external engine and a retract U/C that looks like it's been borrowed from a model. What do you think?

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/subsonex/index.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25382.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1904582  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SubSonex personal jet!

It's propelled by a "TJ-100"!!!

Tam, you sneaky guy!

Shaz
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Grodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guessing with a 250lb thrust turbojet, its going to do 30-40 min with 250 lbs of fuel? It would be fun as long as you didnt get out of the traffic pattern.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grodus

I guessing with a 250lb thrust turbojet, its going to do 30-40 min with 250 lbs of fuel? It would be fun as long as you didnt get out of the traffic pattern.
They're saying 300 nmls range with reserve, so I guess it's endurance would be about 180-200 minutes. Apparently it's flying at Oshkosh today, so would be very interesting to see it fly.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Grodus

And the manufactures are Always accurate about their products performance Im not saying its not really cool, but it might be cooler with some really big servos in it. Looks like it carries 215lbs of fuel and burns 280lbs per hr. At 10.000 ft' I dont think it can go 300 miles with reserves. I dont remember the requirement for VFR reserves but its probably more than this airplane would have 30min into the flight.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grodus

And the manufactures are Always accurate about their products performance Im not saying its not really cool, but it might be cooler with some really big servos in it. Looks like it carries 215lbs of fuel and burns 280lbs per hr. At 10.000 ft' I dont think it can go 300 miles with reserves. I dont remember the requirement for VFR reserves but its probably more than this airplane would have 30min into the flight.
I think a glider with that turbine would be better.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

You can get a FLS BD-5J that is built at BD-micro in oregon with a complete builders assistance package and the FAA type rating to be able to fly it for about $128k and have better performance and a better looking airplane..

Unfortunately, the feasbility in the BD-5J and the Sub-sonex personal jet is really limited to around the area flying and airshows. Their size kind of limits their comfort (even thought the BD-5 pit is very comfortable for a sub 6' sub 180-200' person) for cross country's
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM
STKNRUD

Want to end up with a million dollars in aviation ? Start with $10 million.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

If I had 100K to invest I would rather go with a vintage jet, you can easily find a fouga, strikemaster jet provost and so on in this range and they are often even cheaper than that.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Rider-60

If I had 100K to invest I would rather go with a vintage jet, you can easily find a fouga, strikemaster jet provost and so on in this range and they are often even cheaper than that.
If you looking for a "budget" jet, you probably dont have the funds to maintain and feed one of those classics. You can get mig 15's and 17's for under $100k if your patient. But what is its maintenance $ per flight hour. I bet its a 5-10 times more than one of these things.

The cheapest part about owning an airplane is Buying the airplane.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

I agree with that but if you get the airframe for 40-60k that leaves a great margin for maintenance cost. you often see airworthy fougas and L29s at less than 30k and they are twin seaters which is a big plus
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

If you looking for a ''budget'' jet, you probably dont have the funds to maintain and feed one of those classics. You can get mig 15's and 17's for under $100k if your patient. But what is its maintenance $ per flight hour. I bet its a 5-10 times more than one of these things.

Absolutely right Thomas. My friend owns a T-33 that he flies in air shows and just recently tried to buy another. It was 0 time from Air Force overhaul (both airframe and engine)....in 1983. I believe he said it sold for a bid of 13K. There was no way to get it out of the airport because there was little chance of getting a ferry waiver and you'd have to truck it out.

He's able to fly his T-33 so much due to the air show gig. Hours are major $$$$........
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: sideshow

ORIGINAL: invertmast

If you looking for a ''budget'' jet, you probably dont have the funds to maintain and feed one of those classics. You can get mig 15's and 17's for under $100k if your patient. But what is its maintenance $ per flight hour. I bet its a 5-10 times more than one of these things.

Absolutely right Thomas. My friend owns a T-33 that he flies in air shows and just recently tried to buy another. It was 0 time from Air Force overhaul (both airframe and engine)....in 1983. I believe he said it sold for a bid of 13K. There was no way to get it out of the airport because there was little chance of getting a ferry waiver and you'd have to truck it out.

He's able to fly his T-33 so much due to the air show gig. Hours are major $$$$........

Yea i'm not surprised by that... I had aspirations one day to purchase a Mig 17 or 21 to restore and fly, but as I began doing the research into the specialty tools, ground support equipment, literature for all of that, the airplane, etc etc etc. I quickly realized that $30-50k airplane was only a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. You would need another $20,000+ in support equipment just to operate and do the every-day line maintenance to the thing. God forbid you end up having to find a new or useable main gear strut, tail pipe, etc, etc. That could quickly turn into another purchase of $30k+ in a second airframe for parts. Then engine overhauls and hot-section inspections can become difficult due to the small nature of people on this side of the world with the tools and knowledge on the particular engine in the jet.. Small labor force = big $$$ for their expertise!

$40-60k is a small drop in the bucket to getting "set up" for a well outfitted operation of a Classic jet..
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, its a great aircraft (though not as easy to fly as you think) that looks great and although its systems are relatively simple, its the fuel and maintenance that are the big expenditures....

Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
bikecrasher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey mate.... Im restoring a mig21 at the min. had to jump major hoops to get it passed by casa. Im luck it has faa rego before and a 100hr service schedule. I hope you get one mate... be good to see in aust skies.
Saying that there are two mig17s on ebay at the min. I have seen them fly before.

Last edited by bikecrasher; 08-24-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: adding more info