Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Help needed rejuvinating a 2nd hand TT-01

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed rejuvinating a 2nd hand TT-01

Hi, long time since Ive been here, but I need help.

I picked up a TT-01 with the 3Racing SWB chassis on ebay purely so I can use a Honda CRX shell to replicate my own car.
It works ok, but its slow, and I want it faster.

Heres what I have:

TT-01, assuming standard gears, Im not sure.
New 5000mAh NiMh battery
Ko PropoKSC-1000FR ESC
Reedy MVP 24' Stock motor

The issue is the speed, its not at all quick, at a guess Id say no more than 10mph and the battery lasts about 5 minutes.
I have set the ESC up according to the instructions, but it made no difference.
Its not making any bad noises, motor doesnt seem particularly hot, everything turns freely in the transmission and has proper bearings fitted in the hubs.
The motor turns by hand, but feels "lumpy" as it turns, Im thinking that could be the issue??

I dont want to spend a lot of money on it, its just a toy for messing with, but I want it half decent. Brushless and LiPo would be nice, but thats more than I would like to spend.

I know nitro but not electric so any help would be great with getting this up to speed with little money spent.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 PM
templargfx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help needed rejuvinating a 2nd hand TT-01

If the motor has particularly strong magnets in it, turning the shaft by hand will feel like it has alot of resistance up to a point, then it will turn really freely for a short rotation and repeat. This is normal. What your feeling is the magnet trying to pull the can back into position, until it rotates close enough that the next magnet pulls the can towards it.

I would try re-seating your motor. When you put it in, put a bit of butchers paper between the spur and pinion gear, then force them together before tightening. pull the paper out and you have a great setup, no binding.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help needed rejuvinating a 2nd hand TT-01

Thank you for the reply.

I should have said in the first post - The mesh isnt tight, its a bit slack to be honest but its as tight as the mounts will allow, the motor wont go any closer to the spur. Perhaps its just come with a particularly small pinion..?

I will count up the teeth on both gears and see what Ive got. Any ideas what the standard ones are so I have an idea of where Im at with those?

Sorry for the noobness.