Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Alert: Bad Seller, do not buy from this person

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Alert: Bad Seller, do not buy from this person

Old 11-20-2011, 05:24 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Alert: Bad Seller, do not buy from this person

How to post
coolblew sign in to RCU, go to the forum that you would like to post in. Scoll down a little bit on the left side of the page and look for "New Post".

I sent the engine to Aircraft International to get a third opinion that was not involved with this incident. Aircraft International confirmed that the crankshaft is bent at lest at the end. He also noted that the engine did not turn off smoothly.

It's my fault, I did not use PayPal or any credit card. I used trust.

A link is posted in my very first post to the sale here on RCU.

flyboy57id, I say if your honest and represent your items with accurate description and pictures then sale away.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

You will still be able to sell your engines! Look at my ratings.. Everybody had to start someplace rite! I wolud not sell anything I wouldnt buy for myself. And I really would not sell something that had any thing wrong with it that I knew of.. Thats just a bad thing to do! This guy got burned In a bad way.. I know I have been there.. I bought an engine from a flea market once.. It was a zdz 50.. Man If I would not have looked it over It may have killed or hurt someone very bad.. They jb welded the end of the crank where the hub attaches to it.. All that was needed was a new center bolt, but nope lets just make it look good and sell it. I hate to see that. But I will help anyone in the hobby at the drop of a hat..Ernie
Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyboy57id

You guys are depressing me ! I was planning on trying to sell 6 engines this winter that I have no use for. I have not sold anything on RCU so I do not have any feedback. I would have to buy a new camera to take good pictures of the motors. All the engines are low time except one and now I do not know if it is worth the trouble or not. The engines that I had planned on selling was: Walker Machine 4.2 Sachs with CH ignition, Zenoah 74 with CH ignition (test run only), Zenoah G45 with CH ignition built into the mount, Zenaoh G26 with the RCexcell igntion installed, Moki 1.8 (test run only) and a Super Tigre 90 that I have a few gallons thru but is in excellent condtion. I had planned on trying to get 50% of what I paid for the engines. So, do you think it is worth my time to try to sell the engines or not?
Gordon
Flyboy,

Go ahead and list them on RCU. I have bought many items, including engines, here on RCU and have been happy with my purchases. Only once was I disappointed and it was due to overblown and misleading information. The honesty of the seller is important no matter if it is new or used. There are many online stores who I would never buy from as their business practices are questionable. Face-to-face is no guarantee either. You can be lied to no matter the distance.

In my experience sellers here on RCU are more honest than on evilbay. No matter the rating systems there will always be scum that will try and take you for a ride. Typically it is more aggravation to try and recover your money than what it is worth.

I use a few simple rules:

1. If the price appears to be too good to be true.....don't do it.
2. Never use money orders or checks. Only PP.
3. Communication by the seller. If I cannot call and speak to the seller then no deal.
4. Pictures of the actual item. If the seller is not able or willing to supply additional pictures, no deal.
5. Gut feel. If the deal smells in any way, no matter how enticing, walk away.

Bliksem
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
tkline

I have bought a lot of engines on here and the bay but I look for engines that are wore out or broke because I enjoy working on them and I have only been disappointed once when I bought an engine for parts and the crank was bent after the seller said he didn't think it was but I didn't blame him because I got the feeling he was honest about what he knew of the engine and it was sold at parts price. But it all comes back to the seller giving honest info!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:45 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Roger that!!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had one bad deal here on RCU. The complaint system here on RCU lacks alot. I am reluctant to use the marketplace now, which is unfortunate as all my other deals have been 1st rate with wonderful sellers.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM
cbh82v
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a used magnum 91 on RCU.  My first and last used engine purchase.  I was told it was complete, ran great and had been sitting about a year.  I received it with no prop nut, and no HS needle valve, the valves were stuck.  and the crank case was so full of rust that it looked like it had been stored in the ocean.  It finally runs after days of cleaning and buying some parts.  I'm not sure how long the bearings will last.    
Old 11-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I take great pride in being honest and if a buyer finds something that I may have missed ( which has never happened) I always offer them the option to return the engine or item for a full refund. Something to watch for when buying online. I really like the personal phone call too. You can learn a lot by listening to a real voice on the other end of the line. Key questions will usually expose a fraudlent seller. I got screwed once here on RCU and I should have detected it by the seller's arrogance. Buying "sight unseen" should always be backed with a provision for a return as long as it is within reasonable circumstances. If not......DON'T BUY IT!

SPEEDY
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
computermonkey

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Denvale09

Hi Michael 878 from Ozz. This Garrie Brisbane, this my first post, I have a G4500 im chasing a muffler for have you any clues where I can get one ? thanks Garrie.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

I know the economy is turning for the worse right now, but that is no raise to pawn your broken stuff off on other people.
I have been in this hobby since I was ten years old. This is the first person that I have come across that has taking advantage of my trust. I was agree at first but like all bad things in the end you just need to raise above it.

The ad clearly states no damage.

Here is a link to the sell
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=787693

I sent the engine to Aircraft International to have a third party look at the engine. I have attached the quote.

Always interesting of note on these kinds of posts about bad sellers and bent cranks and thousanths of an inch stuff...

You claim this engine has a bent crank, but have you checked or compared tehse numbers to any other used 3W engines to see what their runout is?
Do you know what the runout should be in the crankcase and what the runout should be in a truing stand?

For example certain manufacturers cranks have an acceptable runout, mounted in the crankcase of 0.00 - 0.010"
Same crank will measure more like 0.00 - 0.005 on a truing stand, which takes away slop in the bearings.

If I measures ANY one of the 10 or 12 gassers I currently fly, I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they exceed the OP's required tolerances. Are any of them bent? Not a one of them.

But, if you are going to talk thousanths of an inch, and you are going to talk brand new type tolerances.... you may consider buying a brand new engine because I cannot imagine ANY used engine, prop strikes or not, that will meet your strict tolerance requirements.

Is grw57 a bad seller?
Dunno, but I have seen the quality of his stuff and I can't imagine him hurting badly enough to need to rip anyone off.

Get out your dial indicators folks, check your runout. Mass production tolerances can vary wildly. I'll bet there are more than one in this thread that have a "bent" crank, but don't even know it.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 AM
computermonkey

Wow, I had to go back and a long ways but I still had the email from Aircraft International where I sent the engine in for inspection.

Date: Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Subject: RE: Thank you for the call.
To: computermonkey

Dear **********,

We received your 3W-75i-CS (Competition) engine for inspection.

A careful review revealed following problems:

Crankshaft is bent (needs to be replaced)
Run out at base of hub 1.9/1,000â€
Run out at front of hub 5.8/1,000†(should not exceed 1.2/1,000â€)
When you turn the crankshaft over you can see with your bare eye
the gap between hub and crankcase widening and narrowing.
You should not be able to see any changes there.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

[quote]ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Wow, I had to go back and a long ways but I still had the email from Aircraft International where I sent the engine in for inspection.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Well of course RCU lost the other half of my reply.

Bottom line, if you expect .0001" perfection from a used engine, I think your standards are far too high for a used piece.

Additionally, I'll bet there are MANY honest, trustworthy, good sellers that have engines listed (and currently flying) that may exceed your exacting tolerances. Are they bad sellers? NOPE. Do they serve to have their names drug thru the mud? NOPE.

What happens if the engine you purchased ran perfectly fine in the previous owners plane? What happens if it never vibrated and ran perfectly okay but now you measure it and it has an issue? Did that seller rip you off?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

I'll even go you one better.

A while ago, I had an OS FS 1.20 that I aquired. I checked it out, bolted it to my test stand. I set the valves checked the compression, basically went over it with a fine tooth comb. Fire it up and it was easily the strongest running 4 stroke 1.20 I have had on my test stand recently. Instead of selling it online, I decideed to keep it and find an airframe for it since it ran so well.

I mounted it in a gorgeous Ultimate I picked up. Maidened it, it flew nice. Flew it a second time but my new spinner hadn't arived yet and it was a paid to try and start on the prop nuts so I decided 2 flights was good enough for trim and testing.

The next week I go out, fire it up, head out, on take off I roll it knife edge, climb out to about 50 feet, roll wings level and BANG... the OSbreaks the connecting rod. I end up banging up the plane after losing the engine.

That motor ran PERFECTLY with ZERO vibration. It was the best 1.20 I have ever had. Would I be a bad seller if I sold that to you and it broke the rod like it did on me? Would you have claimed I intentionally screwed you?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM
computermonkey

I feel Gerhard put to many zero in his reply, because I measured way more then ten thousand out. The human eye can only distinguish a few thousand.

Just because an engine "runs good" does not mean it is a good engine. The bottom line is he stated "3-W 75 cc Rear Induction Competition Series engine.Runs great.Never been damaged.I sold the plane it was in and going to larger engines," when I got it the center two head fins were bent and the crankshaft was bent.

This what the ad used to say before he edited it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84352.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1904967  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

I feel Gerhard put to many zero in his reply, because I measured way more then ten thousand out. The human eye can only distinguish a few thousand.

Just because an engine "runs good" does not mean it is a good engine. The bottom line is he stated "3-W 75 cc Rear Induction Competition Series engine.Runs great.Never been damaged.I sold the plane it was in and going to larger engines," when I got it the center two head fins were bent and the crankshaft was bent.

This what the ad used to say before he edited it.
Using the logic in your last reply...

Imagine you are selling a used engine that runs great, flies well, doesn't vibrate, has bent fins from removing the plug and has never been in a crash... how would you describe it?
I think everyone else would describe it as - " a used engine that runs great, flies well, doesn't vibrate, has bent fins from removing the plug and has never been in a crash".

Who could possibly imagine that you'd whip out your handy dandy dial indicator and start mic'ing the thing from every angle? And honestly, if you are going to be that critical, why would you ever buy used? Seems to me that is just a problem in the making, for you and the unsuspecting seller.

Bent fins are meaningless, even your expert invoice explains that. I have seen MANY a fellow flier trying to change a fouled plug without the correct tool, resulting in some level of damage to the fins surrounding the plug.

I have sold tens of thousands of dollars in engines over the years. I have always honestly described them to the best of my ability. But I never whipped out the dial indicator to check the runout. I didn't grab the bore gauge and mic the cylinder and I surely didn't get out the laser indicator to make sure every fin was precisely inline.

I honestly don't think the guy intentionally tried to rip you off. The crank may not be bent to me or to him, but to you it is. And if it never vibrated.... well who could poissibly even think it was bent?

I think you got overly technical on a used piece, probably got a little agressive over it and I am sure feelings were hurt on both sides.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
computermonkey

"Never been damage" is just that. The center fins on a 3W are extremely strong. They would not have been bent by using a wrench to remove the spark plug in the matter they were bent or dropping it from a bench.

Seeing the fins lead me to research if further damage might have been done to the engine and in this case it was.

Oh and fyi, that engine vibrates like a mother ..........., my other 75 is a very smooth running engine. More so then my 55.

Anyway, we can message about this all day long, fact is it's over and I have moved on to other things. Chalked it up as learning experience to never pay with anything other than PayPal or USPS money order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62308.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1904979  
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

even buying new engines you take a risk but buying used .. its just a known its a risk .. not sure if the guy snaked you or not but ..thats hard to factor

bottom line if it was such a critical item for you buy new .. and even buying new doesnt mean it will be 100 % to your liking but you can expect a new motor to be serviced or exchanged .. you really can't say that for a used as is sale ..

for examble brand new EME 600 the prop hub had a buggered thread on it and needed to be re tapped .. now this isn't cool but its not a big deal .. and thats a brand new motor i wouldn't go to milehigh RC and give him a hard time saying he knonwingly shafted me