Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
BJ64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

double posted... sorry

BJ
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding flaps; Just make sure that when servo-tester says zero degrees output ( Edit; zero meaning 1500 ms), the flaps are about hafway extended.

On the MSA-10 you can invert the direction of the servo by pushing a button. On all 4 servos. Individually.

So, just push the button if the servo goes the wrong way. For all 4 servos.

Then, on the MSA-10 you can adjust max and min flaps degrees on all 4 servos, individually by, again, pushing a button.

One output, goes from the servo tester ( Or Rx flaps channel) to the MSA-10.

Four cables goes from the MSA-10 to the 4 servos. The MSA-10 can rest in the center-section of the wing.

I find a box like that with button input much better than when you have to adjust the max-min using a screwdriver on a potensiometer.
( Some of the units out there has that adjustment setup)

The potensiometer can change setting if low quality, if subjected to vibrations. Buttons, they don't change.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Mr_Grump

Hey Kwik

When you say zero degrees output, do you mean centered? Like 1500ms on a Hitek programmer?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
kwik

ORIGINAL: Mr_Grump

Hey Kwik

When you say zero degrees output, do you mean centered? Like 1500ms on a Hitek programmer?
Yes, sorry, that is what I mean. 1500ms. Minimum is 1000ms, max is 2000ms. So middle point is 1500.
( Or zero degrees in my little world, where I imagine minimum is negative, and maximum is positive, so middle point is zero.
It is, of course, much better to talk about ms)

I like to use the Hitec 645 MG servos, and they cannot be programmed , so the MSA-10 is nice.

I guess, if you are using SBUS and digital servos, it is another story, but I haven't made that step yet.

Old habits, difficult to change.....
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Mr_Grump

Thought that's what you meant. I just wanted to be sure. I posted earlier saying I used 645's but it was 5645MG's. I'm convinced I didn't set them up properly so thanks for clearing it up.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 AM
BJ64

The MSA-10 - it's made by Futaba, yah?

Does that mean that it's restricted to work with only Futaba Rx's, or will it work fine with a JR/Spektrum Rx too?

I'm guessing that it does, but I just want to be sure there isn't any sneaky proprietry stuff going on whereby the output of a JR/Spek Rx Flap channel won't drive the Futaba box properly...

BJ
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 AM
BJ64

I'm really interested in hearing more about the MSA-10 - just need to know it will work hooked up to a JR/Spektrum Rx.

Any advice...?

BJ
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want an MSA-10 for your JR/Spektrum system when the Matchbox is for them and does exactly the same thing at a better cost?

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
BJ64

Good question...

Just that the MSA-10 sounded a bit better by the way the guys were describing it's 'features'...

BJ
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM
BJ64

Darn.. you guys State Side have it so good.

Decided to go for a JR Matchbox, seeing as all my gear is JR/Spektrum (and the price difference MSA-10 v's JR Matchbox in the USofA is like 10 bucks).

But... down here... what you can get for US$70-ish goes for around AU$110 (up to AU$150) locally [X(]

I tried o/s - one site asked $70 for the unit.... but then $80 for the postage. Are you freakin kidding me? It wieghs not much more than 5 sheets of photocopier paper and almost fits inside a Coke bottle-top.

I found another US site with a similar price... but they won't ship outside US/Canada/Mexico.

Frustrating as all hell sometimes...

BJ
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
kwik

ORIGINAL: BJ64

Decided to go for a JR Matchbox, seeing as all my gear is JR/Spektrum (and the price difference MSA-10 v's JR Matchbox in the USofA is like 10 bucks).

But... down here... what you can get for US$70-ish goes for around AU$110 (up to AU$150) locally [X(]

I tried o/s - one site asked $70 for the unit.... but then $80 for the postage. Are you freakin kidding me? It wieghs not much more than 5 sheets of photocopier paper and almost fits inside a Coke bottle-top.

I found another US site with a similar price... but they won't ship outside US/Canada/Mexico.

BJ
Strange. I buy lots of stuff from Tower Hobbies. And the distance from USA to Norway isnt short either.

Anyway, you have my symphaties. []

Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: kwik

ORIGINAL: BJ64

BJ
Strange. I buy lots of stuff from Tower Hobbies. And the distance from USA to Norway isnt short either.

Anyway, you have my symphaties. []

Tower don't seem to stock the JR Matchbox - otherwise I would have already bought one from them

They do, however, carry the Futaba MSA-10...

BJ
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 AM
kwik

I looked through the operating manual of the Matchbox. Its instructions are exactly equal to the MSA-10.

What happens when you set the switch to 1-4 and 5-8 etc is equal.

Of course the servo doesnt know whether its a Matchbox or an MSA-10 that is sending the pulse-train to it.

Both sends pulses between 1 and 2 milliseconds. So whether one is buying a Matchbox or a MSA-10 is just a matter of "taste".

The fact that the functionality is exactly equal, makes one wonder whether the internals comes from the same sub-supplier?

Same IC and same software.....? but the box is just a bit different.....?

It might be just like when you are buying a TV....the display, Ram, IC's, they all come from the same two or 3 factories in China, Taiwan,
Phillipines.....and then you have a different plastic box around it, and a different label on the front.......

Anyway, I think you will be just as good with the Matchbox as with the MSA-10.

The reason for my posting in the first-place was to indicate that using such a box on the center-section will spare you from a LOT
of hassle when installing flaps. And the Matchbox looks very nice too, I just had'nt heard about it before. I might be starting using it instead myself
now , because of the price difference.

I have a Futaba 10C radio for my ESM Corsair, but use Hitec 645MG servos in it ( and some Futabas) and might buy some Matchbox'es from now on, too.

( Thanks to Duplicator41 )

Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 AM
BJ64

I was going on previous advice to keep all my stuff JR - seeing as my Tx and Rx's are all JR/Spektrum.

I just seems easier to get my hands on an MSA-10 down here - though I'll keep looking for a Matchbox (at a reasonable price - 80 bucks postage for something that costs about $70 and weighs next to nothing is a bit rich).

They both sound like they will do the same job, and probably run the same internals and come out of the same factory as you've suggested.

The only reservation I had about an MSA-10 was if it had to be hooked up to a Futaba Rx... but you've indicated that they should both use pulses between 1 & 2 milliseconds.

I'll keep looking for a reasonable price (and availabilty).

Thx for your advice

BJ
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 AM
trent smith

Hey BJ have a look at smartfly as they have a device that does what you want. I think its called an Equalizer 3D or something like that and a hobby shop in Melbourne can get them easily. Cheers Trent.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 AM
BJ64

Heya Trent - howya doin?

Been slowly getting stuck into that marvellous Corsair

Plenty of servos to install in that thing [X(]

But I'm getting better at it.

I'm in two minds about the donk.

From what I've been reading, the ASP 400 might struggle a bit with the size/weight of the F4U. Been thinking about leaving the DLE 55 in it, and maybe go for a Jack Devine lighter-build FW190 for the Radial (only Jack hasn't replied to my email yet - is he still doing his kits??).

How's your bevvy of 'Stangs goin?

BJ
Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
mmflytie

Guys:
Really need help locating a corsair cowl , a rudder and a left elevator. Can anyone help. Mainly the cowl. TBM is no help at all. Waited 6 months for the boat to come in and when it did , I guess the cowls weren't on it.
Thanks
Marc
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
kwik

Marc, I have had success ordering from these guys. Maybe a mail even though the part isnt listed?

http://www.bigplanes.nl/contents/en-uk/d142.html
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Duplicator41

Try here.

http://www.arfpros.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Cheers,

Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
patfairlane
My Feedback: (170)

ARFPROS IS WERE I BOUGHT 2 COWLS...THEY COME WITHOUT THE GIRL...I HAD MY DAUGHTER PAINT THE JOLLY ROGERS ON....OK GUYS...I NEED SOME ADVICE...I STARTED OFF WITH THE DLE-111....I GOT COLD FEET AFTER SEEING MY BUDDY FLY HIS WITH A 3W-75.....IT WAS SCREEMING.....I COULD NOT FIND OR AFFORD THE SAITO FG-57 SO I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON A NEW SAITO 300T FOR $300...I PUT THE C&H IGNITION BUT STAYING WITH NITRO...I SEE THE FG-57 WORKS GOOD....I AM AT 3400 FEET....I DID THE SLIDING CANOPY AND COCKPIT CONVERSION.....MY ? IS WILL THE SAITO 300T JUST FLY THIS CORSAIR SCALE OR WILL IT HAVE SOME RESERVE POWER....THANKS

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM
midastouch_73
My Feedback: (27)

If Arfpros doesn't have the cowl you can try YTInternational in the uk. I was able to order ESM retracts from them in the past when no one else had them. If you contact Wilson Li there he may be able to help you. The only thing I had to do was call Bill at TBM to send wilson an email giving him the ok. This way TBM and YT understand that YT is not trying to undercut the US distributors for ESM.
It was pretty simple.
Wilson Li
([email protected])

ORIGINAL: mmflytie

Guys:
Really need help locating a corsair cowl , a rudder and a left elevator. Can anyone help. Mainly the cowl. TBM is no help at all. Waited 6 months for the boat to come in and when it did , I guess the cowls weren't on it.
Thanks
Marc
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
kwik

ORIGINAL: mmflytie
TBM is no help at all. Waited 6 months for the boat to come in and when it did , I guess the cowls weren't on it.
Thanks
Marc
Next time don't fall for that "Container in a boat" trick.

You want your parts via Air Mail, don't you? So why wait for a boat? Next time, tell them that. And if they cant help you on Air Mail,
go somewhere else.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Mr_Grump

Ditto! Atta Boy kwik!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Better late than never, the old adage goes. I am going to do an ESM 50cc F4U with a Saito FG-84 Radial and a change in paint scheme. I have always liked the post war Navy Reserve planes painted grey. I found one that is so cool with mismatched paint, I have to portray it. This one was undoubtedly in the process of being totally painted grey on top, but was done in stages as time permitted, is my best guess. I'll post it below. Also, I'll post some pictures of a plastic modeler's version of the same Corsair. I like the shade of grey this model builder used. Whomever it was, he did a great job on the model. But, take note, all the scale models, RC and others, of this Corsair I have seen show the red stripe on the stars and bars, yet in the photo of the full scale bird at Olathe, this feature is missing. Kind of minor, but I find that interesting.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: LBJ
But, take note, all the scale models, RC and others, of this Corsair I have seen show the red stripe on the stars and bars, yet in the photo of the full scale bird at Olathe, this feature is missing. Kind of minor, but I find that interesting.

Hi LBJ,

The picture you posted shows Corsair Buno 97286 when it was owned by Bob Bean and located in Blythe, California. This would have been some time between 1963 and 1972, long after the aircraft had left military service. I'm guessing probably the late '60s or early '70s based on the condition of the paint and other portions of the aircraft. The red stripes are there, or at least they were, but have just faded out due to being in outside storage for so long. Here are a few more pics, also taken at Blythe but obviously earlier than the one you posted, which show the complete paint job. The aircraft still exists and is currently restored as "Angel of Okinawa" with the collection of Kermit Weeks in Florida.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.