Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

ORIGINAL: ryanbrown1

So a few weeks ago I bought a used Cessna 182 from the Perry GA swap meet. BTW, what a great time that was! I am 99% sure the plane is a Top Flite kit. The plane has no wing struts or evidence of ever having any. I have yet to find a photo of 182 without them. The fella I bought the plane from told me that he had bought the plane about 10 years prior and that it did not have wing struts then and that it flew fine.

Also the plane does not have flaps. I assume that flaps are an option on the kit.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way to determine what version of the kit I have?
2. How many versions have been made?
3. What are the differences in the versions?
4. Does the lack of wing struts compromise the integrity of the plane’s structure?
5. Is there a way to add the flaps option to the already built wing?
6. Is there a way to get a copy of the plans for this plane assuming that I can determine the version?

Hello ryanbrown1,

We might be able to help you better if you can post some pictures of your model and type in the text the dimensions with reference from where to where the length has been measured. The wingspan would be from wing tip to wing tip.

Note that the full size 182 does have wing struts and working wing struts on the model would be advantageous.

Zor

Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

He posted pictures in the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11455369 the airplane is a Top Flite 182.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, after looking at the pictures in the thread you posted I agree that it is indeed the Top Flite 182. I still don't know the answer to the wing strut question. As I said, the manual isn't clear on it. I'm going to send a PM to Bax, who is Hobbico's rep here on RCU, and hopefully he can find the answer. But I would also recommend simply calling Hobbico/Top Flite and ask them. Hobbico has some of the best customer support in the industry and I'm sure they will be able to answer your question.

Ken
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok, after looking at the pictures in the thread you posted I agree that it is indeed the Top Flite 182. I still don't know the answer to the wing strut question. As I said, the manual isn't clear on it. I'm going to send a PM to Bax, who is Hobbico's rep here on RCU, and hopefully he can find the answer. But I would also recommend simply calling Hobbico/Top Flite and ask them. Hobbico has some of the best customer support in the industry and I'm sure they will be able to answer your question.

Ken
I can attest to Top Flite/Hobbico's customer service, they do try to fulfill every reasonable request from their customers and are a great asset to the hobby. I have a lot of their products and have always be impressed with their willingness to help and the quality of their service. When I'm looking to buy I something I check their line of merchandise first.

Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Top Flite Cessna 182 has only been made in one version. There are no other versions. It's been unchanged since the kit was introduced. The wing struts are cosmetic, and you can install them or not. It will not affect the integrity of the model.

During construction, the flaps may be made operational or not. It's up to the builder. Most builders choose to make them operational. If the wing was properly-built, it may not be a difficult task at all to make the flaps operational if the were not so in the first place. As Ken mentioned, it's all determined by your skill level.

If you want to order plans, please send an email to: [email protected]
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
hwheelman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

As I have said before, this is a great thread!!!! I have a question on my wing after getting completely together (not sheeted) I have nticed when you turn wing right side up and look at the angle from center, that the measurement at the wing tip down to the table is off by aprox 1/4 of an inch one side to the other. Can anyone tell me if I have really srewed this up or what????Was so careful and still ended up off and its enough when you get down and look at it straight on you can tell. Very frustrating especially when you are ocd about things!!!!! Thanks for any input!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hwheelman

Hello,

As I have said before, this is a great thread!!!! I have a question on my wing after getting completely together (not sheeted) I have nticed when you turn wing right side up and look at the angle from center, that the measurement at the wing tip down to the table is off by aprox 1/4 of an inch one side to the other. Can anyone tell me if I have really srewed this up or what????Was so careful and still ended up off and its enough when you get down and look at it straight on you can tell. Very frustrating especially when you are ocd about things!!!!! Thanks for any input!!!!!
The angle you are referring to is called the dihedral angle.

The 1/4" difference will not affect the model behavior. The wing can still be installed so it is the same distance to the horizontal when assembled.

Zor

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM
bmitchell138

Hello all,

I went to my local club this past Saturday for some flying and noticed an almost completed TF Cessna 182 with a "free" sign on it. I'm a sucker for free planes so I loaded it up and took it home. The plane is in very good condition and just needs some paint and an engine and electronics to finish out.

So I did some searching on the web and found this forum, and come to find out I have Teookie's (the thread starter) Cessna.[X(] So I plan to finish what he started with some write up and photos as I complete the plane. I am planning on getting the TF cockpit and will probably run some lights - if I can locate the wires in the wing and vertical stab that Teookie installed.

As for the power plant I am considering a Magnum 91 4 stroke. What are your thoughts on this engine? Will it have enough power? Will it fit inside the cowl without having to cut on it too much?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think you will have plenty of power. It will be nice to see how she comes out!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 AM
Moscarrata

Airsteve172 Hello, My Name is Angel, I'm from Spain, first to congratulate you for the great work you've done to your Cessna. I'm doing this same model, and I'm looking for an accessory for the wing lights.
http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...75/Pn35787.jpg
¿Where could get the same accessory?
Thank you very much in advance.
A greeting.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 AM
asif143

hello dear sir,

i need your help . i am starting to build cessna 182 . and i have os 46 la engine . so what shoud be the diamention of my cessna and weight. please help me

Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Angel (Moscarrata),

Thank you for your kind words.
The navigation lights (wing tip lights) are home made. They are not completely scale, but come pretty close. The LEDs that I'm using for lights are a tiny bit bigger than the size they would need to be to fit into scale size lenses so the light assembly had to be a little larger than scale. I tried to make it look correct in spite of the fact that proportions are a little bit off and I think it worked.

First of all, the lenses are made by cutting away the socket end of a glass automotive bulb using a Dremel tool. Where the lenses needed to be colored, red and green transparent Tamiya paint was used to coat the glass on the inside. The shell of the light assembly was carved from pieces of scrap balsa. When I arrived at the shape I was looking for, the wood was soaked with CA glue to harden it, followed by fine sanding and several coats of automotive primer before painting. Since this carved piece of wood represents a sheet metal part, I shaped indentations where the screws go so that it looks like sheet metal that's being pulled down by a screw head. The phillips head screws are real and come from eyeglass frames.

If you have patience and a little skill, you could try making these things yourself. You might be surprised at what you can do.

Steve
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM
asif143

hello sir
how are you.
sir i need your help .i am building cessna 182 and i have 46la os engine . so what should be the dimention of plane and weight. can you tell me?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 AM
asif143

yes why not

Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
ALPHA-AIR

Hi all,
a little (test-) vid from the finished Cessna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoLbQJJF9Ho
Re-maiden flight is next weekend , if the wind conditions seems right to me..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12068.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1875958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95988.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1875959  
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

I am building this plane now and looking for some input, does anyone have pictures of this plane with a gas engine it? I have 3 options for a power plant- Jba 15cc, dle 20 or a os 91 2 stoke all engines have pitts mufflers on them. My concern is cooling the gas engines down. I think I would need to cut so much of the cowl do to this it would look awkward. If I use the os I would have to deal with the slime. Either way, I am at a point with the build that I need to decide  on what to use, Preferable gas?

Jason

Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 PM
ccaamm1

Alpha-Air,
The sound unit is amazing. Cant get any more realistic than that. Hey Zor, you have to check the youtube vid for this. Remember the debate a few threads back on which engine produced the most realism? I think this is IT and its not even a motor/ prop combo producing the sound. I'm guessing its a little pricey, but thats as close as your going to get.

Cameron
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM
ALPHA-AIR

Yes, the soundunit works better as I expected ! Meanwhile I've flewn her for 3 times and it's an amazing experience! I'm very happy about the result- only thing it is, it's the C172 sound, but thats close to the 182..
The soundunit with 40W amplifier comes round about 100 €, and it's a benedini (benedini.de). Extra weight within 2 speakers and own batterie 3S 1000 : 500 gramm
But this big bird will carry the extra weight easiely, only the landing speed will be slightly higher, cg is back to 108mm to avoid beating down the nose gear strut , and I 'll try to install vortex generators for extra slow touch down speed...
Everybody loved the little "aircraft" at the airfield!
Flight video coming soon !
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by kork
I am building this plane now and looking for some input, does anyone have pictures of this plane with a gas engine it? I have 3 options for a power plant- Jba 15cc, dle 20 or a os 91 2 stoke all engines have pitts mufflers on them. My concern is cooling the gas engines down. I think I would need to cut so much of the cowl do to this it would look awkward. If I use the os I would have to deal with the slime. Either way, I am at a point with the build that I need to decide* on what to use, Preferable gas?

Jason

The OS 91 2 stroke would work great I'm running a .75 Super Tigre. If you are worried about the the fit why not try on of those new Evolution gassers? The are the same size as a glow but are all gas engine the only difference you can see is the plug, a slightly larger carb, and the pickup for the ignition timing.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 PM
mlaidlow

Good work! Patience pays off!
I decided earlier today that I'm getting back into building after a 20+ years hiatus and the C 182 kit from TopFlight is my choice. I looked at the Toni Clark kit but it's a bit pricey for a reborn builder.

I like your approach regarding true scale or scaling it up. I dig the detail work.

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be watching with great interest

Mark
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 AM
elunn

Default cessna 182 skylane plans

I found plans

http://www.foro-aeromodelismo.com/vi...11223&start=30

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gq.../cessna182.rar

Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
elunn

and this

http://rcplans.ru/page/20/

Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well I suffered a setback on my 182 yesterday. I discovered the top of the former with the peg holes to hold the LE of the wing is off on the right side of the fuselage. It sits slightly farther back then the left side. I have to fix it because the wing length will magnify the mistake and throw the tail alignment off. She'll fly like she is crabbing. I feel like the Putz of the year for making such a rookie mistake.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 12-16-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well I suffered a setback on my 182 yesterday. I discovered the top of the former with the peg holes to hold the LE of the wing is off on the right side of the fuselage. It sits slightly farther back then the left side. I have to fix it because the wing length will magnify the mistake and throw the tail alignment off. She'll fly like she is crabbing. I feel like the Putz of the year for making such a rookie mistake.
Sit back and have a beer.

What's done, is done.

You'll get it figured out, and be on the right track, in no time.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks for the kind words Tom! If we didn't make the occasional mistake and have to figure out how to fix it we wouldn't be builders would we?
All part of the fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.