Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Parachute pack for speed run 1/8 scale car

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 AM
ruffrider28435

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parachute pack for speed run 1/8 scale car

Has anyone tried making a parachute pack for a rc car for speed runs? I thought it might would be a good idea but I don't have a clue of wear to start. My best speed so far is 130 mph on 6s with my inferno gt2 electric conversion. I was thinking more along the line of two chutes to even out the pull on the rear of the car to keep it streight when deployed. Anyone have any suggestions on how to are someone that sells them ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78527.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1904910  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
jspeed

Default RE: Parachute pack for speed run 1/8 scale car

Sounds like a cool idea, would look awesome & maybe work great too.
I'm interested!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't personally bother with chutes. They will add at least another 1-2 pounds onto the weight of the car putting the drive chain under more stress, and potentially failing.

The mechanism to hold, and release them seems like it would be a pain in the ass to make, it will more then likely be large, and the chutes themselves would be pretty heavy as you can't use any light plastic for them as that would shred in a split second from the force of the air hitting them. Then seeing the RC's are so close to the ground even if you got around them breaking the second they release they would be scrapping the ground, and would shred in a second from that. I've scrapped plastic 10 feet going about 40mhp when a RC fliped there was NOTHING left of the part so imagine a thin chute hitting the ground going 130mph(if you could even break 100 due to the weight)

I've thought of this idea before, and outside looking cool the practicality of it just isn't there IMO. But hey prove me wrong I love it when people do that as like I said I do think it would look pretty damn badass though
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

The only thing I can think of is a couple of  toy paratrooper 'chutes in a small cardboard box with a micro servo to remove a piece of cardboard connected to the servo to let the parachutes deploy.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM
ruffrider28435

If you go on YouTube there is one that says 137 mph xo1 parachute check it out. It has a chute that actually works. As far as weight my electric cars I do speed runs with I had to add weight to them to keep them from going air born.