Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models .60 size P-51 MustangPetie 2nd version

ORIGINAL: vwpowered

I just purchased one of these Mustangs. I am putting a saito .100 twin on her. Anyone use a twin engine on one of these mustangs? I wonder if this engine has enough power to power her?
Twin would look interesting on a P-51 with the heads sticking out each side. I had a Saito 1.00 on mine before I switched it to a DLE 20. It flew it great using a 14x8 prop.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM
aaroncmh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Spinner how did you mount the ignition? I see tie wraps and a pad but curious how you anchored it.

Thanks man...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: aaroncmh

Hey Spinner how did you mount the ignition? I see tie wraps and a pad but curious how you anchored it.

Thanks man...

I glued a small piece of ply to the fuse raised on small pieces of ply so that I could get a tie wrap or two under it. If that makes sense.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM
aaroncmh

It does make sense thanks for the reply. It looks nice and clean I'm gonna try it if you don't mind. Ha, ha
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM
SpinnerRow

It does make sense thanks for the reply. It looks nice and clean I'm gonna try it if you don't mind. Ha, ha
Absolutely not! I have a patent pending on that ignition securing technique and I charge royalties for anyone that tries to use it!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
aaroncmh

The check is in the mail. 

I tell you something else, I'd pay more for an easier way to install the control horns on the wings...I hate those. Can never get the screws to line up right. Ha, ha
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM
SpinnerRow

The check is in the mail.

I tell you something else, I'd pay more for an easier way to install the control horns on the wings...I hate those. Can never get the screws to line up right. Ha, ha
Drill bigger holes!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
aaroncmh

Alright Spinner I went to put the spinner on and neither of the nuts fit? The smaller one starts to thread on but then stops. 

I found a grommet to fit the middle but now ain't got the right nut. I didn't want to force it and strip the threads. 

Thanks pal...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spinner... I am looking VERY Close at the ESM... if you decide to get one... post a thread please on it. I also like their retracts.... They are actually a GREAT price for what you get.
ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

I don't know guys... I have a DLE 30 that I need to do something with and it may be the ESM Petie from TroyBuilt:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMP51D-71CAF.html
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 AM
SpinnerRow

Alright Spinner I went to put the spinner on and neither of the nuts fit? The smaller one starts to thread on but then stops.

I found a grommet to fit the middle but now ain't got the right nut. I didn't want to force it and strip the threads.

Thanks pal...
Yea, none of them fit the DLE 20. I got an MPI nut and bolt from my local hobby shop ($6 or so) or you can go fancy and get the same thing from Tru-Turn for $20. The DLE 20 (if that is what you have) prop shaft is 8mm x 1mm.

[quote]ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

Spinner... I am looking VERY Close at the ESM... if you decide to get one... post a thread please on it. I also like their retracts.... They are actually a GREAT price for what you get.
[quote]
Yea...... The wife and I just got the first of many orthodontia bills for our 8 year old the other day. That is going to put a damper on my "buying power" this season. If and when I do get a new warbird, I plan to post about it. If it is a world models, I'm going to rip the covering off of it and cover it in a real covering like Monokote or more likely Ultracote in Tuskegee colors. If it is an ESM, I'll leave it as is. I'm scouring the local hobby shops for one as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get the ESM mustang the cg they show has been quite a bit too far back. While they might have fixed that you should check out some of the threads about this plane here on RCU.

Ed
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: rc34074

if you get the ESM mustang the cg they show has been quite a bit too far back. While they might have fixed that you should check out some of the threads about this plane here on RCU.

Ed
I always search threads on this site before I buy a plane!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM
aaroncmh

I figured the spinner out. I was thinking the nut that came with the spinner was going to hold down the prop. Once I put the prop washer and hex nut that came with the DLE on the spinner nut threaded on just right...far enough to seat the allen bolt and spinner just fine. I had to Dremel out the prop holes to fit the APC propeller but I got her on. So I'm using a 17x6 prop at the moment to keep her speed down for landings (I have the 15x10 on deck). I've had some fine landings but I've also had some that caused her to nose over and skid to a stop on touchdown (on the spinner). Not sure why as the CG is a tiny bit more than 4.5". Maybe I'm coming in too fast or trying too hard to land on the wheels. I've been using low rates for everything...I am thinking high rates would amplify any ballooning...but I could be wrong (again). Ha, ha Anyway, still digging the Petie here...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM
SpinnerRow

I used to land and take off on high rates and fly on low rates. I always found myself adding more and more up elevator after the wheels hit the ground to keep it from nosing over. Flaps will make nose overs worse while you taxi around. So once it had slowed down enough, I would pull the flaps back up and on occasion hit the landing gear switch instead trying to coordinate everything. That is surprising! But after flying it for over two years, it got to be easy to land and taxi. It still nosed over on our grass runway more than I would like it to though. Oppossum divots and such are hell on a grass field with 4" wheels.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured the spinner out. I was thinking the nut that came with the spinner was going to hold down the prop. Once I put the prop washer and hex nut that came with the DLE on the spinner nut threaded on just right...far enough to seat the allen bolt and spinner just fine. I had to Dremel out the prop holes to fit the APC propeller but I got her on. So I'm using a 17x6 prop at the moment to keep her speed down for landings (I have the 15x10 on deck). I've had some fine landings but I've also had some that caused her to nose over and skid to a stop on touchdown (on the spinner). Not sure why as the CG is a tiny bit more than 4.5''. Maybe I'm coming in too fast or trying too hard to land on the wheels. I've been using low rates for everything...I am thinking high rates would amplify any ballooning...but I could be wrong (again). Ha, ha Anyway, still digging the Petie here...
I flew mine on relatively low rates but I also used expo on the elevator to make it easier to flare for landing. Also if you haven't angled the gear forward you hsould do that - one way is to put washers under the rear gear plates to get the wheels closer to the wing leading edge. I used air retracts so I didn't worry about gear actuation with a servo but if you are using the original gear that might be a concern depending on how many washers you use.

Ed

Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
vinmech

Hey all,
Been lurking here! Still have my Petie flying and enjoy it a lot.

On the nose over bit, three things helped me a lot.

Move fuel tank back over CG, keeps sloshing weight out of the nose area and puts it over the CG where it has less influence for nosing your plane!

Learn to hit your flaps (not your retracts !!) as soon as your wheels touch down.

Makes the plane stick like it gained a hundred pounds! No chance for bounce up or porpoising if done right!!

Practice doing mains only touch and goes at just under 1/4 throttle without flaps.
Once you have that down pat, when mains touch the runway, and maintaining your airspeed, give just a antsfart down from center on elevator. This will give you a slight nose down attitude while going down the runway.
This gives you some stability to track the plane easily while steering the plane with your rudder, without worry that it could balloon or porpoise! (Plus it just looks cool!)
Tip#1, not recommended to do above on grass runways!
Then the trick is to throttle down and let the tail drop when it has slowed enough to where you know it will not magically pop back into the air!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM
aaroncmh

Thanks for the tips fellas...much appreciated and will work them in on upcoming flights.

Sucks tho I went out this morning for a quick flight before work because I wanted to have a good landing again. Unfortunately I came in and she slammed down hard enough to rip one of the retracts out. I did have them epoxied and what not and they held up for a while so I can't complain.

I think the problem was not enough air speed so my flare did nothing...gotta get her fixed and grease one again. I say again because I was doing fine with my first Petie and the first few landings were great on this new one then all of a sudden I got nothing. Ha, ha

On the nose overs, I do have the tank over the CG and she never noses over when taxiing it's been when I land she just comes in and skids to a stop. So yeah I'm thinking too slow and it drops instead of flaring or climbing.

Thanks again...

Old 08-01-2013, 06:38 AM
vinmech

Make sure your retracts are raked forward and not bent back. Center of wheels should be even with leading edge of wing if looking straight down at top of wing with plane sitting on tarmac.
I think I added a couple of washers, one to each rear mounting screw, to get mine correct. But each plane is different, even if made by the same company
Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
aaroncmh

ORIGINAL: vinmech

Make sure your retracts are raked forward and not bent back. Center of wheels should be even with leading edge of wing if looking straight down at top of wing with plane sitting on tarmac.
I think I added a couple of washers, one to each rear mounting screw, to get mine correct. But each plane is different, even if made by the same company
I'll check that when I put her back together man thanks. She does taxi fine I keep skidding on the nose when landing...not sure if the washer tip will help that? Regardless it's of course a good thing to check/do.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM
aaroncmh

Man my throttle servo died last week...died at about half throttle with a full tank it sucked. I got her down with no damage tho (the silver lining).

It's odd because I had two throttle servos die on my GP Escapade 40. When the throttle stuck on the Petie I'm thinking not again.

Oh well got her back together gonna try again soon.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
SpinnerRow

Originally Posted by aaroncmh
Man my throttle servo died last week...died at about half throttle with a full tank it sucked.
DLE 20 with opti-kill is your friend!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
aaroncmh

Originally Posted by SpinnerRow
DLE 20 with opti-kill is your friend!
I do see where that would be beneficial. Ha, ha

BTW, you wanna sell me your scoop? If you still have it I would be a buyer. Mine came off a while ago...I'm not too worried about it but I figured I'd ask.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM
joshfreund

so, after surfing this forum it appears I have purchased taildraggerdaves mustang, pt a surpass 1.20 in it and it flyes nice, not ballistic but still pretty quick, clocked at 96 mph in a 8 mph headwind straight and level. Anyway I would like to put the scoop back on it. Anyone have one? 661-360-9397.....josh
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM
joshfreund

oh, some prop suggestions would be nice also. right now an apc 15x8 8400 static rpm seems I could squeeze a few more mph with a different prop. had a master airscrew 15x8 k series and although I got more rpm, 9600 static, it didn't seem much faster but I wasn't clocked with the MA just the apc
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

I hope this thread is still alive..........
My WM Petie should be here today.
Just a quick question to anyone that powered theirs with a DLE 20.
Will the stock muffler fit inside the cowl without cutting the cowl??
Or do I need to buy a Pitts style muffler?

Thanks guys

Hoss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.