Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New Biplane by Bryan Hebert - Alferma

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Biplane by Bryan Hebert - Alferma

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New Biplane by Bryan Hebert - Alferma

Hi Guys,
I took A video of some flight testing being done By Brett Wickizer this weekend this is flight 4 of his testing
If the wings didn`t break or come off after he abused ,, flew it on the first three flights, I think it will survive normal flying
Enjoy!
here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ozvKUqwwQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34842.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1721354  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure I enyoyed. Thanks for sharing. I was trying to fly the P-13 yesterday and Brett just told me have to do it right. Probably was his first flight with your Alferma.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice guys.

Alejandro
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
UKpatternflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice to watch. The Alferma seems to present very well. And its a YS! What version of Hyde mount was being used Bryan?

Keith
Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyncajun

Hi Guys,
I took A video of some flight testing being done By Brett Wickizer this weekend this is flight 4 of his testing
If the wings didn`t break or come off after he abused ,, flew it on the first three flights, I think it will survive normal flying
Enjoy!
here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ozvKUqwwQ
Hi,

I think that the maneuver no. P-13.10 was wrong.

It should be a Pull-Push-Pull Humpty-Bump not a Pull-Pull-Pull Humpty-Bump.

Am I right?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 AM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoops! Think the judges caught it? :P
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM
flyncajun

Thanks Alejandro,

Keith, I`m using a Custom Mount Merle made for me for My Shark Bipe. It`s a micro mount that weighs 70 grams.
It`s amazingly small. But the 1.75 runs so smooth it`s no problem swinging the APC 20.5-10.
Also you can`t deny the nice tone from that YS with Brett working the thottle, it`s almost like Music to the ears
I swear with that prop he never went over half throttle just a awesome power curve, and mid range power we always wanted.
in combo with the Bipe Well, you see the results

Now for a 120 sized Ys powerd Alferma!
Bryan
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM
IflyPATTERN

Bryan,
I couldnt agree more on the comment you mentioned about the tone of the YS in the air- the same though crossed my mind yesterday! It got me to thinking.... I wonder if Brett could play us all some Mozart if he were given control of an orchestra of 1.75's!?

Brandon Landry
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sign me up for a 120 (or 115) sized Alferma!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Here it is Brett, your challenge.

Play we are the champions with a YS motors......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aArS...eature=related starts around 20 seconds in.

Chuck
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Really nice flying Brett
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice video... liked it very smooth & precise flying. But i need to know why have you made the landing gear retractable? I have seen many F3A biplanes but never seen a retractable... Or just to avoid drag

My question is are retractable allowed in F3A now.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Retracts were never not allowed. Years ago we needed the reduced drag to compensate for less power. With todays models this is not an issue. I believe Bryan's thought process was that with the retracts he wouldn't have that long arm to account for hanging below the airplane when trimming, so the trimming should be much more straight forward and such. I'm sure Bryan will chime in. With takeoff's and landings not being judged in FAI, it certainly makes sense. Flying off grass with retracts in lower classes can be a much larger headache.

Arch
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Retracts were never not allowed. Years ago we needed the reduced drag to compensate for less power. With todays models this is not an issue. I believe Bryan's thought process was that with the retracts he wouldn't have that long arm to account for hanging below the airplane when trimming, so the trimming should be much more straight forward and such. I'm sure Bryan will chime in. With takeoff's and landings not being judged in FAI, it certainly makes sense. Flying off grass with retracts in lower classes can be a much larger headache.

Arch
Plus....it just really looks bad a** to see them suck up into the wing on take-off. You can't deny it!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
flyncajun

Arch is on the money I`ve never been a fan of fixed gear, But I do like the ease of transport and have learned to live with them.
I`m a purest at heart my designs are art to me, they all start with inspiration and a philosophy for the patterns they are designed to fly,and end with how well I hit the mark on the total impression I was aiming for.in looks and performance.
I like a challenge. A Bipe is still unproven ground , and as they say the pioneers get the arrows

My Ideas are molded through my experience with competition and the outcome of my other designs. I also take into account the feed back I get from Top pilots like Brett ,Jason, , and even the guys working their way up the heap like Brandon Landry,Brian Stahan and Brian Clemmons.

Some airplanes like the alferma ,are designed for the World class Guys and some are designed for the average guy trying to earn his best score against equal Talent.Brett, Jason, and Andrew really can make anything work all the guys at the top can , I try to shoot for both ends of the expectations ,and thats not a easy task sometimes.

The retracts , Well Im stuborn. But the new Talent Never flew with them ,and Now they think they are all the Rage ,,Just like bell bottoms from the 70`s
But, there is a reason to my madness , and like Scott says really Beauty is in the eye of the creator of the art some like the look some don`t, I love to see them things dissapear as the airplane slips though the takeoff for another flight.

Bryan
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM
MTK

Retracts were never not allowed. With takeoff's and landings not being judged in FAI, it certainly makes sense. Flying off grass with retracts in lower classes can be a much larger headache.

Arch
Retracts may represent a small weight penalty. Also will require newcomers to learn what we long timers have forgotten, almost. Newcomers will need to learn how to operate them reliably for the life of the plane; don't forget a collapsed gear on a landing in AMA still earns zero for the maneuver.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Thinn

Really love this Bipe!
It was great to finally see some footage of the model in flight. Looks awsome!
I can't wait for this model to be available to us "Novice" pattern-folks... I'm looking for a substitute for my trusty ZN Suxess, and the Alferma looks like a great oportunity to update!

Has the model been tested in windy conditions yet? The Suxess, being an older design, really struggles in windy conditions, hence it is not my first weapon of choice for the F3A schedule. Also, it has some wierd couplings (a lot of throttle - aileron mix(...), plenty aileron to rudder mix etc etc). I'm guessing a "new generation" bipe has shaken off most of these "bad habits"?

Audun
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah, but then you lose all of those "cool points" when one leg collapses on landing. . . .

ORIGINAL: CLRD2LAND

Arch
Plus....it just really looks bad a** to see them suck up into the wing on take-off. You can't deny it!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
protectedpilot

ORIGINAL: MTK

Retracts were never not allowed. With takeoff's and landings not being judged in FAI, it certainly makes sense. Flying off grass with retracts in lower classes can be a much larger headache.

Arch
Retracts may represent a small weight penalty. Also will require newcomers to learn what we long timers have forgotten, almost. Newcomers will need to learn how to operate them reliably for the life of the plane; don't forget a collapsed gear on a landing in AMA still earns zero for the maneuver.

Not too sure about the weight penalty, Matt. Retract are about an ounce each, with another ounce in the servo. Gear is usually 140~150g plus another 40g for pants. 180g is around 6.5 oz. (Less wheels and axles on each.) Heavier retracts are 1.5oz each, plus another one for servo. Even that is less than a standard set of Bolly Long plus pants by about two ounces. IF you can find a set of Supra's lying around, that is Support structures should be a wash, BTW. Depending on your struts, these numbers go up, but retracts should be lighter either way you go, unless you compare heavy retracts to light fixed. Might be close then.

Seems to me the retracts can be lighter AND more aerodynamic. But the fixed gear LOOKS cool, they all say. I think Bryan Hebert is all over it.

Brian Clemmons

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and they look cool
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Thinn

I used Supra retracts w/titanium struts (from Central Hobbies) on an old ZN Caprice some years back. I think I replaced one strut after approx.90-100 flights. No real issues there!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM
flyncajun

Here is the new version of the Alferma Proto#2
We test flew it this weekend and there is a Utube vid of the airplane going through the f Pattern for rate setting
Enjoy !

Bryan
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
flyncajun

opps

Name:	Eb86743.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	1905197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34860.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	1905198  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
flyncajun

more

Name:	Pn36253.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	1905199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65563.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	1905200  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 PM
flyncajun

more

Name:	Ge96572.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1905201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83685.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1905202  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.