Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Roundtuit

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Roundtuit

Does anyone know of a source for plans or dimensions of the old .40-powered Roundtuit? I would like to build one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM
the.master.link

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roundtuit

Lifer, I hope you have found the Roundtuit by now? I have been wanting to locate anything I could find about it myself. I have looked over all he files and forums I could find, and today I found a two page of posts by: Ptarmijan ->RC Flying Disk Questions (1/20/2003 2:18 PM), and in it he posted his desire to build a Roundtuit and make it look like a UFO. Later, Richard Link
Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Lifer

No luck yet. I have an engine and some coroplast, but have gotten no further than that. I'll post any progress I make. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a plan, but this one is a 27" disc, 1" thick. I am not proud of it for sure. It was $20 at a swap meet with motor and an AMradio ready to fly with a Supertiger .40. It looks like there was a rudder on at one time that wasn't needed. Inever flew it yet, but the gentleman said it could fly backwards in a breeze. It looks like a good candidate for a downspout fuselage. This one is plywood doorskin and the wing is cut around it making it pretty weak IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94734.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1896044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12777.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1896045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36384.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1896046  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Lifer

What I need is the downspout. 3.5" square by 18" would be fine. Cannot locate it except in large quantities, plus shipping.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 AM
aspeed

Most people use the 2 3/8" or 2 1/2" sq. stuff.  The rectangular  stuff is a bit bigger in the one dimension, and easier to find, but normally has ribs in it.  Maybe check for some fenceposts for different sizes.  Doorskins can be made up pretty quick and even after painting take less time than driving to the Home D'pot.  The plane won't be pretty anyway.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Lifer

Do you know of any U.S. retailers that sell the pipe?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pizza Box Flier was a 24" square. It could easily be cut in a circle. I'd make it larger for a .40 as the PBF was designed for a .25. Maybe 30" in diameter. It was cut from 4mm Coroplast. run a few carbon fiber tubes down the flutes to keep the wing stiff in case you fly too fast.

The "fuselage" was a 1/2"-3/4" aluminum channel from Lowe's. It was just wide enough for a standard servo to snugly fit into and be held with a zip-tie. The engine mount was 1/4" ply, or hardwood bearers-your choice. Another option is an engine mount cut from a plastic cutting board from the kitchen section of Wal-Mart. This is not a precision project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70038.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1896159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83612.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1896160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79974.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1896161  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM
the.master.link

ORIGINAL: Lifer

What I need is the downspout. 3.5" square by 18" would be fine. Cannot locate it except in large quantities, plus shipping.
Lifer, I have some 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 downspout, if you will pay the postage to your house I will cut an 8 foot length into equal pieces I will send it to you? Later, Richard Link, 611 Lamkin RD, Harlem, GA 30814, 1/706/556/6890.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
the.master.link

Does anyone know of a source for plans or dimensions of the old .40-powered Roundtuit? I would like to build one.

Thanks in advance!
Lifer, I am trying to send you a picture of a .40 size Roundtuit, but this thread is not taking it...?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Lifer

I got the email and the picture. Thank you! It looks like 36 inches?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Lifer

Richard,

Got the pipe yesterday. Thank you! I mailed a check yesterday as well. What I plan to do is use a 24" disc made of coroplast, and the first 3" of the leading edge will be recessed at an angle/curve into the pipe. I'll cut a small access panel into the bottom for radio and tank access. I'll find a piece of ply for the firewall and glue/screw it to the front of the pipe. I also plan on dual, functioning rudders to allow spins.

Best guess for balance will be 28 percent of the chord. I have an unemployed GP .42 for an engine.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
the.master.link

Lifer, Good to see that you can finally get started on your Roundtuit... I hope you will also build a .40 which I do believe to be what the original Roundtuit 's fuse ( a 40inch) across from side to side were made of... Please post some of the photos of this build to give the round plane something to use to build themselves one... Later, Link
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
the.master.link

Richard,

Got the pipe yesterday. Thank you! I mailed a check yesterday as well. What I plan to do is use a 24" disc made of coroplast, and the first 3" of the leading edge will be recessed at an angle/curve into the pipe. I'll cut a small access panel into the bottom for radio and tank access. I'll find a piece of ply for the firewall and glue/screw it to the front of the pipe. I also plan on dual, functioning rudders to allow spins.

Best guess for balance will be 28 percent of the chord. I have an unemployed GP .42 for an engine.
John, I received your check and note about wanting to do a Roundtuit since the '80s... WOW, I sure hope you build it correctly and that it flies wonderfully. Please keep this thread showing all your steps to it's build by photos... And please include all the steps, and modifications as you build it... Later, Richard
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
aspeed

You can make a plywood plate that boltsinside the bottom of the downspout to hold the motor too. The tank is a little harder to squeeze in but it is another option that is quicker than a firewall, plastic motor mount, landing gear mount? etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Lifer

I am currently in the process Disney called "Imagineering." I have the downspout, coroplast and will acquire some plywood for the firewall. I think I will insert the first 10% of the leading edge into the pipe with a gentle, descending curve. That will give more lift than a flat plate. I will cut an access hatch on the bottom for tank and radio installation. Dual rudders on each side of the rear of the fuse.

This won't be fast, but it will be fun.

Also, thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM
the.master.link

I am currently in the process Disney called "Imagineering." I have the downspout, coroplast and will acquire some plywood for the firewall. I think I will insert the first 10% of the leading edge into the pipe with a gentle, descending curve. That will give more lift than a flat plate. I will cut an access hatch on the bottom for tank and radio installation. Dual rudders on each side of the rear of the fuse.

This won't be fast, but it will be fun.

Also, thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement!
Lifer, Where did you go to? We are all waiting for you to do some of your posting about the Roundtuit.Later, Richard
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Lifer

Probably won't get much done til cold weather arrives. I fly for the 3 seasons and build during the 4th. I always gather materials prior to the building season so my progress won't be interrupted. I will post once I get started. Thanks for you patience.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM
coro kid

I still have a flip`n disc I don`t know if plans are on web, If you use a pizza box plan but make it round you should be close I would say at lease a 32 inch disc. I`m working on a 48" disc of pink foam
COROKID