Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Distance judging

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Distance judging

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Distance judging

Try flying your whole final approach with the nose a bit high. You should find that when flying that way you will fly slower, but with more power, than with the plane level or nose down. That's because the wing generates more drag at a higher angle of attack. Throttle is your altitude control, elevator controls speed. It's seldom if ever a good idea to try to lose altitude by pointing the nose down.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: sunfly3

Having been flying a 4*60 since the late 90's, I understand the problem, they are real floaters, particularly with a .90 four stroke with a 13x8 prop. Reflexing the ailerons up about 15 degrees will take out some of the lift on approach, and if you can do this using a landing mode that does it at 25% throttle and less, makes it a *****cat to land. They are great flying planes in all respects, but this will make it a one touch landing with no bounce if flaired correctly.

Bingo

Works like a charm every time and I cannot understand why folks ignore this very simple little adjustment. Flaps are not repeat not needed. The idea is to reduce lift not increase it. By reflexing the ailerons up a bit, yes just a bit you are reducing lift. This has the effect of allowing you to carry a slightly higher power setting and this allows you to better control your descent profile with small changes in the power setting. This opposed to just setting the idle as low as possible and hopeing.

This very simple old trick cost nothing and almost no time or effort. Its your call.

John
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Having been flying a 4*60 since the late 90's, I understand the problem, they are real floaters, particularly with a .90 four stroke with a 13x8 prop. Reflexing the ailerons up about 15 degrees will take out some of the lift on approach, and if you can do this using a landing mode that does it at 25% throttle and less, makes it a *****cat to land. They are great flying planes in all respects, but this will make it a one touch landing with no bounce if flaired correctly.

Bingo

Works like a charm every time and I cannot understand why folks ignore this very simple little adjustment. Flaps are not repeat not needed. The idea is to reduce lift not increase it. By reflexing the ailerons up a bit, yes just a bit you are reducing lift. This has the effect of allowing you to carry a slightly higher power setting and this allows you to better control your descent profile with small changes in the power setting. This opposed to just setting the idle as low as possible and hopeing.

This very simple old trick cost nothing and almost no time or effort. Its your call.

John
Iwill give this a try, simple enough just unscrew the clevis a few turns.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: acdii

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Bingo

John
I will give this a try, simple enough just unscrew the clevis a few turns.

Do you have dual aileron servos, and are you flying a radio with flight modes? If so, then program a flight mode with the ailerons reflexed. This will allow you to fly with them in the normal position, then reflex them for your pattern/approach/landing phase. You might also be able to program the reflex in using a flap setting. If you have one aileron servo, you may want to think about converting to dual aileron servos. The drawback with reflexing the ailerons by adjusting the clevis is you have to fly the whole flight the ailerons in that position.

Hogflyer
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
BobFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

acdii, how are your ailerons wired? Did you use a "Y" harness or use individual channels for the aileron servos. If you have the channels you might want use different channels for each aileron, mix them, and then program them to raise up when you flip a switch. This will allow you to use them as spoilers instead of flaps. Just a thought.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you reflex the ailerons, you reduce the camber ... you reduce the lift co-efficient ... which means the wing has to fly either faster or at higher A of A to produce the same amount of lift.

How is that going to help you to get into a tight space?

And how come the designers of full-sized planes never thought of that?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Learn to 3D land and all your troubles will be gone silly rabbit... Just kidding, I also like the side slip approach for slowing and losing altitude, but we already covered all this just a couple of months ago didn't we.

Bob
Old 08-01-2013, 05:14 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: bogbeagle
If you reflex the ailerons, you reduce the camber ... you reduce the lift co-efficient ... which means the wing has to fly either faster or at higher A of A to produce the same amount of lift.
[quote]

ExactlyYou reduce the lift!!

[quote]
How is that going to help you to get into a tight space?
[quote]

As I noted in my prior post and any full scale instructor could explain it allows a steeper descent profile while at the same time carrying some power over and above minimum idle that allows for a more precise descent profile utilizing small power changes.

And how come the designers of full-sized planes never thought of that?
Oh my but they have and you need only to look no further than your nearest Full Scale sailplane pilot to be hear of the stories of how it would be almost impossible to land with any degree of precission (that means on the runway without hitting the corn if you will) without the ability to 'Reduce Lift' for the approach. It would be just about impossible to find any modern full scale glider without spoilers. Actually many full scale heavies also do exactly the same but I won,t go there as that's not my area so will leave that for Hoss

Bob you are correct when you stated that reflexing an aileron (or flap or both) changes the airfoils chamber and that is why in the full scale glider world that flaps, ailerons or both can be selectively raised above in trail that is called full chamber control and highly desirable.

HowerverThe simple reflexing just a bit (a most usefull tool) on most of our RC aircraft is not exactly an aerodynamic crime and is not a big disadvantage to speak of in most other areas of flight other than it actually can improve an airplane that has a tendency to tip stall expecially on approach.

John
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: BobFE

acdii, how are your ailerons wired? Did you use a "Y" harness or use individual channels for the aileron servos. If you have the channels you might want use different channels for each aileron, mix them, and then program them to raise up when you flip a switch. This will allow you to use them as spoilers instead of flaps. Just a thought.
I'm flying on a DX8 right now, but also have a JR 12X. I am giving thought to swapping out radios and putting in an 8 channel RX so I can do just this. I cant do it with the current RX since I am using up all 6 channels, 3 are just for the engine, Optikill, choke and throttle. I could use the 8 channel RX with the DX8, but starting to have concerns about the radio power supply. I had a Turnigy Lipo pack in it that died on me, thankfully not while in use, and the original NiMh pack seems to be OK, but the voltage after a fresh charge, according to the radio is 5.4 and drops to 5.1 after 15 minutes. I did a discharge/charge cycle on the pack and it did very well, so I dont think its the pack.

I also have a Futaba 8FGS and either a 7 channel or 8 channel RX laying around, now that I think about it, I should have the 8 channel one it came with, and I have one I picked up, I think a Fyresky or something like that. I use the Futaba for my LT40 and since I fly that plane the most, its the most familiar radio to me, so I may just move to that radio instead. I have 3 RX for it, and I have 6 or 7 RX for the Spektrum/JR, so a toss up on which one to use at this point. I think I will feel them out and decide. I noticed I have to search for the flap switch on the DX8 when flying the T-34, so I will see how easy it is to find the flap switch on the Futaba and JR and that will help make the decision. The JR is a nice radio, but for the price you would think it would have a SD card or something to store models on. If it does I havent found it yet.

I have been kicking around the thought of flaperons on this to help slow it down, especially after doing a couple landings with the T-34 with flaps. Once they got setup correctly(thats a story in itself) I was finally able to put it down on the mains and not the nose wheel. Before with no flaps, when I tried to bring the nose up a hair to flare, it would either drop, or balloon up, and with the flaps now, it comes in with the nose up like it should. And this was supposed to be a trainer! I guess there is a reason this particular plane came with flaps.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 AM
bogbeagle

I's puzzled.

Reflex is not the same as a spoiler, since reflex will tend to reduce drag, rather than increase drag... afaics. I mean, the spoiler is stuck brutally into the airflow, causing turbulence. Is that right?

That's how glider pilots use reflex, isn't it? They reflex the flaps to increase their speed whilst they transit between thermals.

For a given scenario, the aeroplane with reflexed wing, will have to fly faster in order to create sufficient lift. So, the glide approach must necessarily be steeper ... which is desirable ... but the approach speed must also be higher.

I can't see how that combination of factors won't culminate in the plane sailing off the end of the runway.

I know from experience that washout increases the "landing speed" of an aeroplane. And, that's really the same thing as reflex.

Am I missing something?

My brain is now officially fading.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

bogbeagle - reflexing the ailerons helps by reducing the lift that the wing produces at a given airspeed, making it drop faster in the landing approach. It takes some of the "float" out of the plane. It also allows a more extreme flare before the wing stalls, allowing the pilot to reduce his speed more if he wants to. Full scale planes don't do it (at least not as far as I know) because designs that need to be STOL have flaps. Flaps are better at shortening the landing approach, but if they can't be retracted they mess up everything else. So for a model that wasn't designed for short/steep landing approaches, reflexing the ailerons up kills some lift without giving the wing tough stall characteristics the way that turning them down like flapperons would.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM
bogbeagle

Normally, if I reduce a wing's angle of attack, the drag is reduced and the aeoplane goes faster.

So, why would reflex ... which reduces the wing's angle of attack ... be an exception to that?

I'm talking small angles, here, of course. If you reflexed the ailerons to say, 60 degrees, then clearly a load of drag would result.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
hsukaria

acdii, the reason your engine revved up 400 rpm when you cut throttle on final approach is because the DLE20 has a funky ignition advance curve in the module. It is a subject discussed thoroughly in the engine forums. A lot of DLE20 owners change the RCExl module version of the DLE20 to another version.

Besides all the advice for landing that has been presented here, I would consider a change to your ignition module. This has been a problem for many other flyers.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Villa

acdii and a70eliminator
It may be a shock to learn that depth perception is only about 17 feet. Look it up!

Yep. I lost an eye many years ago and about the only thing I find more difficult is threading a line through a fish hook.
I was blind in both eyes for a couple of years and found that made all women equally beautiful.

Jess
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
hogflyer

acdii, how are your ailerons wired? Did you use a ''Y'' harness or use individual channels for the aileron servos. If you have the channels you might want use different channels for each aileron, mix them, and then program them to raise up when you flip a switch. This will allow you to use them as spoilers instead of flaps. Just a thought.
I'm flying on a DX8 right now, but also have a JR 12X. I am giving thought to swapping out radios and putting in an 8 channel RX so I can do just this. I cant do it with the current RX since I am using up all 6 channels, 3 are just for the engine, Optikill, choke and throttle. I could use the 8 channel RX with the DX8, but starting to have concerns about the radio power supply. I had a Turnigy Lipo pack in it that died on me, thankfully not while in use, and the original NiMh pack seems to be OK, but the voltage after a fresh charge, according to the radio is 5.4 and drops to 5.1 after 15 minutes. I did a discharge/charge cycle on the pack and it did very well, so I dont think its the pack.

I also have a Futaba 8FGS and either a 7 channel or 8 channel RX laying around, now that I think about it, I should have the 8 channel one it came with, and I have one I picked up, I think a Fyresky or something like that. I use the Futaba for my LT40 and since I fly that plane the most, its the most familiar radio to me, so I may just move to that radio instead. I have 3 RX for it, and I have 6 or 7 RX for the Spektrum/JR, so a toss up on which one to use at this point. I think I will feel them out and decide. I noticed I have to search for the flap switch on the DX8 when flying the T-34, so I will see how easy it is to find the flap switch on the Futaba and JR and that will help make the decision. The JR is a nice radio, but for the price you would think it would have a SD card or something to store models on. If it does I havent found it yet.

I have been kicking around the thought of flaperons on this to help slow it down, especially after doing a couple landings with the T-34 with flaps. Once they got setup correctly(thats a story in itself) I was finally able to put it down on the mains and not the nose wheel. Before with no flaps, when I tried to bring the nose up a hair to flare, it would either drop, or balloon up, and with the flaps now, it comes in with the nose up like it should. And this was supposed to be a trainer! I guess there is a reason this particular plane came with flaps.

acdii - you have all the radio you need in the DX8. Do you have dual aileron servos or a single servo? And if dual servos, are they on a "Y" harness?

You'll need dual servos and your 8-channel receiver, then just program your radio to move the ailerons in the desired direction on the flap switch and you'll all set. You'll be able to reflex the ailerons or make them flapperons (which ever you decide) at the flip of a swich. Heck, you can even program the flap switch to reflex or drop the ailerons depending on which way you move the switch (My Stryker moves the rudders as airbrakes either in or out depending on which way I throw the flap switch).

Hogflyer
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
bogbeagle

That's interesting.

I knew a guy who made a split rudder, that opened out to create drag. The associated turbulence was left behind the model, in the wake, of course.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just slip it in... LOL

Bob
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

One thing I have used to help people with difficulty judging distance when learning is to put a full size silhouette of a model at the critical point in the field. The size comparison is a guide to distance.

Worked for some people. Others managed to hit the silhouette or crash when they took their eyes of their plane to look at the silhouette.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
BobFE

acdii, I have a JR XP6102 and the flap switch is on the upper right corner of the TX. Just swipe your fingers over the right corner and you'll hit the flaps (or spoilers, however you have it set up). I've never tried spoilers, but you might want to fly the plane to the touchdown point and then hit the spoilers, should kill the lift and prevent floating. You also may need to be power on to keep the plane from just dropping. Anyone else that has done this feel free to tear my idea apart, I might be wrong.

I've flown in, and flown a T-34 (full size) before and if I remember right you don't need the flaps for take off, but they were always used for landing. I never landed it or took off, though, just rode the back seat. I have flown and landed a Piper 140 (full size) and we never used flaps for take off, but always used them for landing.

hogflyer, the 4Star120 has a dedicated servo for each aileron. At least I'm pretty sure it does, I know the 4Star60 does, so I figure the larger plane will have one as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Looks like your runing a APC prop . what pitch is it ? might want to try a Xoar or whatever name brand prop but larger with a flater pitch .. it will help you in your approch you might lose a littel top end .. seeing this a four star i asume your not pilon racing

another though is my personal style on giant scale planes is I use a flat approch and what i mean by this my base leg is rather lower and my final is not vary steep its a flat shallow final where i bleed alot of engry off before touch down
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

acdii, the reason your engine revved up 400 rpm when you cut throttle on final approach is because the DLE20 has a funky ignition advance curve in the module. It is a subject discussed thoroughly in the engine forums. A lot of DLE20 owners change the RCExl module version of the DLE20 to another version.

Besides all the advice for landing that has been presented here, I would consider a change to your ignition module. This has been a problem for many other flyers.
Not this. The engine was at idle for at least 30 seconds and was on a perfect approach, had the corn not been there and the plane was about 4 feet lower it would have made a perfect landing. It was when I gave a touch of down elevator and the nose dipped that the engine speed increased. It didnt increase after the nose dropped and picked up speed, it increased as the nose dropped. In fact my fingers were off the left stick at this time. The idea was to drop it about 4 feet and level off, instead it sped up and drop almost 8 feet and I barely got it leveled off when the wheels smacked the ground. It looked as though I intentionally increased throttle and pushed it down, when all I was trying to do was get it a little closer to the ground . Had I just killed the engine when it crossed the corn, this manuever would have worked perfect.

I do know what you are referring to, but this is a new ignition, the original one got mangled in the first 4* when its wing snapped. The only time I have a high idle is when running from full throttle and quickly chopping to idle, a blip of throttle settles it right down. If I dont blip it, it remains high and never settles down, even though the throttle is fully closed. From half throttle though it idles right down to 1600 and "usually" stays there. It never did this on the ground, but I never picked the plane up and seen what it does at idle with the nose pointing up or down, but will see if it happens in a static test, who knows maybe there is a tiny bit of slop in the linkage causing it, though I doubt it since the throttle spring is still in place.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM
acdii

acdii, I have a JR XP6102 and the flap switch is on the upper right corner of the TX. Just swipe your fingers over the right corner and you'll hit the flaps (or spoilers, however you have it set up). I've never tried spoilers, but you might want to fly the plane to the touchdown point and then hit the spoilers, should kill the lift and prevent floating. You also may need to be power on to keep the plane from just dropping. Anyone else that has done this feel free to tear my idea apart, I might be wrong.

I've flown in, and flown a T-34 (full size) before and if I remember right you don't need the flaps for take off, but they were always used for landing. I never landed it or took off, though, just rode the back seat. I have flown and landed a Piper 140 (full size) and we never used flaps for take off, but always used them for landing.

hogflyer, the 4Star120 has a dedicated servo for each aileron. At least I'm pretty sure it does, I know the 4Star60 does, so I figure the larger plane will have one as well.
No multiquote option, hope the new one has it.

I have to use flaps because I take off from grass, otherwise I wouldnt need them. When the grass is freshly mowed I dont need them either. This is one of the Eflite PTS planes I converted to glow, so it has small wheels meant mainly for pavement, and I have the largest wheels I can put on it without them getting in the way or looking too funky.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

Looks like your runing a APC prop . what pitch is it ? might want to try a Xoar or whatever name brand prop but larger with a flater pitch .. it will help you in your approch you might lose a littel top end .. seeing this a four star i asume your not pilon racing

another though is my personal style on giant scale planes is I use a flat approch and what i mean by this my base leg is rather lower and my final is not vary steep its a flat shallow final where i bleed alot of engry off before touch down
I have a couple XOAR props, but want to get the feel of this plane first before I put the more expensive, easily broken wood props on. Lets just say I would have gone through them all already with the hard landings I have accomplished, each one save for the first, yeah the first landing was perfect, then again the corn was only 4' tall then, have resulted in a prop strike.

When I have the room to bring it in flat, I can grease it in for a perfect 3 pointer, but trying to land it over the corn that is 7' high has become a challange for me this year.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

acdii, how are your ailerons wired? Did you use a ''Y'' harness or use individual channels for the aileron servos. If you have the channels you might want use different channels for each aileron, mix them, and then program them to raise up when you flip a switch. This will allow you to use them as spoilers instead of flaps. Just a thought.

acdii - you have all the radio you need in the DX8. Do you have dual aileron servos or a single servo? And if dual servos, are they on a "Y" harness?

You'll need dual servos and your 8-channel receiver, then just program your radio to move the ailerons in the desired direction on the flap switch and you'll all set. You'll be able to reflex the ailerons or make them flapperons (which ever you decide) at the flip of a swich. Heck, you can even program the flap switch to reflex or drop the ailerons depending on which way you move the switch (My Stryker moves the rudders as airbrakes either in or out depending on which way I throw the flap switch).

Hogflyer
I bolded this part,I could use the 8 channel RX with the DX8, but starting to have concerns about the radiopower supply. This is why I am considering switching radios. Until I know for certain the radio is OK, I dont want to risk any planes on it. Iwill use it for my heli's and small little planes since they are all short distance flyers. Until I know that I wont have power issues with the TX, why take a chance.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Not this. The engine was at idle for at least 30 seconds and was on a perfect approach, had the corn not been there and the plane was about 4 feet lower it would have made a perfect landing. It was when I gave a touch of down elevator and the nose dipped that the engine speed increased. It didnt increase after the nose dropped and picked up speed, it increased as the nose dropped. In fact my fingers were off the left stick at this time. The idea was to drop it about 4 feet and level off, instead it sped up and drop almost 8 feet and I barely got it leveled off when the wheels smacked the ground. It looked as though I intentionally increased throttle and pushed it down, when all I was trying to do was get it a little closer to the ground . Had I just killed the engine when it crossed the corn, this manuever would have worked perfect.

I do know what you are referring to, but this is a new ignition, the original one got mangled in the first 4* when its wing snapped. The only time I have a high idle is when running from full throttle and quickly chopping to idle, a blip of throttle settles it right down. If I dont blip it, it remains high and never settles down, even though the throttle is fully closed. From half throttle though it idles right down to 1600 and ''usually'' stays there. It never did this on the ground, but I never picked the plane up and seen what it does at idle with the nose pointing up or down, but will see if it happens in a static test, who knows maybe there is a tiny bit of slop in the linkage causing it, though I doubt it since the throttle spring is still in place.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your description. So, other than something flaky in the throttle linkage as you mention, a larger diameter/smaller pitch prop would help slow down the plane more on landing, as some have already mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.