Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

wing building

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

wing building

Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM
thewoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing building

Hi all; I am a new R/C builder, flyer and working on a kit of F4-U corsair and am wondering if sheeting the whole wing will add strength to the wing and be more durable with hard landings that I know will happen as I progress in my quest to become a proficient pilot? I realize that with the 3-D fliers ANY weight at all is taboo, however weight ISSSS necessary and I am not concerned about what sheet would add. THNX for any advise!!!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM
skyhawkjock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wing building

If you are building from plans or a kit, the designer has figured out what is the best option for his model based on size, weight, scale looks, and flying ability. I would stick with what the plans show.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

+1  [8D]

It's not a good idea to build with a crash in mind. Instead, look for ways to lighten the plane without sacrificing strength. The lighter the plane, the less energy has to be absorbed in a crash. 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM
BobFE

thewoff, welcome to the wonderful world of RC kit building. I started out that way and I'm glad I did. The feeling you will get the first time you see that plane fly is.....well I can't describe it. Just to see something you built with your own two hands..... Now I have a question for you. Is the plane a scale replica, or is it designed to be a trainer? The reason I ask is you said you are a new flyer as well. If that plane is scale, you might want to think about another plane to fly first. I've build one scale plane and it took me a while to get my flying ability up to be able to handle it. There are many trainer kits out there, if you still want to build, and then you can work your way up to a scale plane. I would recommend the Sig Kadet LT-40. That was my first kit and plane and I'm still flying it 13 years later. I'm not saying don't build the F4U, just don't try to fly it till you have learned to fly first.

Oh, and skyhawkjock is right, follow the plans. They know the best way to build the plane so it will fly the best.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 BobFE....I would NOT recommend a Corsair as a first time build OR plane for a newbie....
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
DSTE

Iagree with the others that the F4U might not be a good idea for a first plane.
But don't let that stop you from building one (or two). The more you built the better they will become.

I didn't follow the plan when Ibuilt mine, on a 60-size plane Iused 1.5mm sheeting (instead of 2.5 or even 3mm ... can't remember what the plan suggested).
As can be seen, Ileft the part of the wing unsheeted.
Had a few mishaps during landings (even cartwheeled once), but the wing is still one piece.

(more can be found here:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._3/key_/tm.htm )

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43526.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1903596  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
drube

Which Corsair are you building?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobFE

Oh, and skyhawkjock is right, follow the plans. They know the best way to build the plane so it will fly the best.

Obviously you have never worked with a set of Don Smith or Palmer plans...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sheeting and glassing does add to the strength but on the Corsair I do feel it adds too much weight. {Who Said That??} I'm not usually a weight watcher but I have had the 60 size corsair that was sheeted and glassed for racing. I didn't build it but after flying one with open bays I decided the weight added much too much to the wing loading. The lighter plane was a lot easier to land.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

2 words. Contest Balsa.

It is expensive, but worth the weight savings.

Please don't be discouraged by this advice, but a warbird is not going to get you in the air unless you have a fantastic pilot working with you at all times. Even then I wouldn't recommend it.

I would strongly recommend you train on a RCM Advanced Trainer or a Trainer 60. They are hard to find but worth it. A symmetrical wing is far easier to land than a flat bottom wing to both fly and land. Joe Bridi knew what he was doing when it came to these things and I agree with his design mentality.

If you need plans, let me know... I can direct you to them.

Brian

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"A symmetrical wing is far easier to land than a flat bottom wing." Don't tell that to my 95" Telemaster.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: thewoff

Hi all; I am a new R/C builder, flyer and working on a kit of F4-U corsair and am wondering if sheeting the whole wing will add strength to the wing and be more durable with hard landings that I know will happen as I progress in my quest to become a proficient pilot? I realize that with the 3-D fliers ANY weight at all is taboo, however weight ISSSS necessary and I am not concerned about what sheet would add. THNX for any advise!!!!!
There's no reason to add full sheeting to a structure already designed to be open bay. It will add strength, definitely....strength that is not required.And it will add weight which on a smaller model willreduce it's flight envelope much too much.

It won't help much to reduce damage in a crash. Quite the contrary, the sheeting extra weight may exacerbatethe damageand it will make the rebuild that much more difficult. You will likely have broken ribs in places that you can't see.

You say you are not concerned about the extra weight. You may want to learn to always be concerned. Let me try to explain something about model flight envelope. Lighter always flies better, handles better, lands better than heavier. Lighter and heavier are relative terms...what is meant is, lighter wing loading versus heavier wing loading. It matters none whether you are dealing with a trainer, scale, aerobatic or racer.

If possible, shoot for a wing loading of less than 30 ounces per square foot....24 will fly better than 30 and 20 better than 24,,,,

Good luck with whatever decision you make
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Well said MTK...