Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM
mjunior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

You may be OK with the nose door, but main doors need the F-RB165 (30mm stroke) Robart must still make this? Or use Ultra Precision 1 1/4'' stroke

Dave
I think I got it. The F-RB165 is this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET28&P=7 same this http://www.robart.com/products/38-x-...e-air-cylinder and same this http://www.motorsandrotors.co/index....roducts_id=901.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

The stroke dimensions given in the manual or this thread might throw you off because Robart RB165 cylinders do not come in different lengths. The 165's are what you want. They fit perfect in the main gear door position and they are slightly long in the nose position. I had to cut down the plastic ball links I chose to use for the nose doors.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:42 AM
fireblade5437

Nice and hot here again so getting on with painting, postman has just delivered RCJI perfect timing for a cold beer...

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62646.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1900039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26794.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1900040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92597.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1900041  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys I've had my eye on this one for a while but after seeing one in Kentucky I am 98% sold on it. I just want to make sure Ill be able to fly it off my 400' paved runway without any issues. I fly my flash out of there with absolutley zero problems how does this airplane fly and land compared to the flash? I'm hoping to order it in the T45 scheme by the end of the month.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joseph,
I say get it unpainted and do one of the Centennial of Naval Aviation schemes. [8D]
http://www.twobobs.net/

Btw, great to meet you at Kentucky Jets! Can't wait for next year!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:39 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

Hey guys I've had my eye on this one for a while but after seeing one in Kentucky I am 98% sold on it. I just want to make sure Ill be able to fly it off my 400' paved runway without any issues. I fly my flash out of there with absolutley zero problems how does this airplane fly and land compared to the flash? I'm hoping to order it in the T45 scheme by the end of the month.
I have both Joseph, I can both land and take the Hawk off on 300ft strip, grass or paved if you have a decent (relatively clear) approach. There's not much margin for error though if you fly over a chunk of it. 400ft will be fine.

The Flash is easier to land, not that the Hawk is difficult, just that the Flash is easy.

Mike

Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joseph,
Don't take my poor landings at Kentucky as anything other than poor piloting skills. Do a youtube search for the carf hawk and you will see many short field landings.

I pitted next to Joseph in Kentucky and we talked about the Hawk and as most who see it, realize it's just the right size to give a good presence and handling in the air and still be small enough to move around without help. I just had a bad week at Kentucky as far as the Hawk goes. I had the brakes lock up which caused a tire to come off but it wasn't really violent as it ended up partially in the grass. I pulled the wheels off and lubed up the O-rings and put the tires back on. I put a curve in my brake slider to not make them so sensitive. Unfortunately, I didn't check that my gear was functioning correctly for the next flight. I didn't see a reason to as the previous landing was just a little skidding event. Well I couldn't get the right main to come down on the next flight and after cycling it again I couldn't get the nose or left main to retract so there was no choice . I landed on the runway with the nose and left main down. It skidded off the runway and managed to find a runway light which impaled itself into the wing about 5 inches at the root. It will be repaired in a few days. This landing resulted in me receiving the prestigious gong award at Kentucky Jets.

On another note, Maybe I should have seen bad luck coming for the Hawk at Kentucky. A day or two before these problems, I went to the hangar in the morning to retrieve the Hawk and had to lift it over all the other jets that were still in the hangar. About a half hour before I went to get the hawk I had sprayed my arms and legs with bug repellent as the no see ums where feasting on me. Apparently, the clear canopy material doesn't like bug repellent. I assume it was the Deet which is the active chemical. The canopy touched the inside of my upper arm when I was lifting it and the Deet attacked the plastic. Took a lot of elbow grease polishing to get it off.

Marty
Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sean great meeting you as well I really like that scheme but im no painter.
Marty I think you did a great job with the hawk Im sure you'll be up in the air again in no time. Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions. You have exactly what Im looking for so ill be bugging you with a lot more stupid questions.
Well I suppose Andy will be getting a call from me later on this month.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

The stroke dimensions given in the manual or this thread might throw you off because Robart RB165 cylinders do not come in different lengths. The 165's are what you want.

In Europe Robart 165 rams come in 165S = short 165 = normal (what we use) and 165L = Long...

Set up right the Hawk (and not over built-I have seen Hawks 4lb heavier than mine because of "bling" added to the install) lands at the same speed as the UF

Dave
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

A friend here in Tucson who likes to do things his way decided to eliminate the air system for all the doors in his Hawk. Here are a few pictures (not great) which I took with my phone on how he did the mains. From what I saw it works well.
He uses a spring attached to keep the doors open once the gear is out. He put a small flange (deflector) on the outside of the gear door to help keep the door open using the air stream.
He did not like the way the flaps were hooked up so he ran the push rod on the bottom outside of the wing and used a horn on the outside bottom of the flap.
You can see part of it in one of the pictures.
He is a inovative guy.

Stan

Name:	Ca80437.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1905309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16545.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1905310  
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 AM
afterburner

Dave,
I can't remember if there were flap covers available from you or Carf or at all? The search function in this new RCU is worse than the previous version. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 PM
husafreak

I recently got a set of dummy flap covers from Dave W. so maybe you can too.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM
husafreak

Does anyone have a CG measurement for the fuselage only (without the wings on)?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 AM
afterburner

Thanks Husa. I'm figuring Dave is having issues getting on RCU as he is usually fast at responding to questions.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find some detailed photos or drawings of the 2010 display scheme hawk? I need to place decals and some antennae and maybe even some lights. Thanks, Bob Neal
Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM
fireblade5437

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net..._hawk_2010.htm Bob try this for starters, also a lot of decals on this scheme also common to the 2010 Display, click on picture and you can zoom in, from Ralle's web page, Alan

Name:	Placement Black Hawk 30 years.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1906568  

Last edited by fireblade5437; 08-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Default CG

What is the furthest back people have the CG on this Hawk?

I for the life of me can not land mine without something screwing up. I am either too fast and get into a bounce or too slow and it drops the last foot or so as it is in the flair. There does not seem to be a happy "sweet" spot.

I had a gorgeous approach today and got into the flair, still with good forward speed and it dropped the last foot and bounced.

I am thinking my CG may be too far forward thus taking too much elevator to hold the nose up for the flair.

I have tried it with crow and no crow....

Others have metnioned they find their Hawks as easy to land as the flash but both of my flash's have a much wider window for landing than this Hawk.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

I'm getting hooked up again on RCU...
Can check my fuse tomorrow in the office if it still helps. Seems we might get some more flap dummies. Let you know soon.

Gary. I can't see it being balance, How much flap? What weight is your Hawk dry?? My Hawk has always been a breeze, I've test flown a load and all been the same. We have a "portly" one in England that behaves badly, looks like I might be test flying a new one this weekend, so can go through the process again first hand. I've also just started work on this one too.....

Name:	DSC_1320.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	1907789  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM
husafreak

Welcome back Dave. For a teaser that picture is a killer! I have been doing a big push to finish my Hawk, lots of hours because I don't know what I am doing and everything is going sloooow. I should be plugging everything together tomorrow. The big board!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Dave Wilshere

Its a DS-94 powered Hawk I'm building for a friend, 14s 10,000 mAh. We have turbine restrictions at our grass site now and I convinced him this will work, so I'm building this one EDF and he's going to have a second one Turbine later in the year for when we can fly Turbines freely.
Fit out is the quickest time! Should have done all your planning by now, so its 'just' bolt in and go ;-)
This EDF has me scratching again as I have no balance refs and the fan is much bigger than a turbine, so I have dropped the mounting 10mm

Dave
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Gary Arthur

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
I'm getting hooked up again on RCU...
Can check my fuse tomorrow in the office if it still helps. Seems we might get some more flap dummies. Let you know soon.

Gary. I can't see it being balance, How much flap? What weight is your Hawk dry?? My Hawk has always been a breeze, I've test flown a load and all been the same. We have a "portly" one in England that behaves badly, looks like I might be test flying a new one this weekend, so can go through the process again first hand. I've also just started work on this one too.....
Maybe it's just me. Maybe I should put "Captan Kant Lander" on it!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gary

Normally with the Hawk it sits pretty level at full drag, I fly it in flat/slightly nose down if there is any real wind, throttle reducing as you come in, hold off and flare to touchdown.
Without being there its not easy, you watched any of the landing videos to see if yours looks different?

Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Gary Arthur

I have watched the videos, watched my friend fly his all the time. Landings look like nothing special.. As you say, bring it in relativly flat or slight nose down, get close, reduce the power, flair and let it settle in. My last landing was perfect and exactly as described until the last 6" or so, then the drop and bounce. Even though it had good forward speed. This is why I think the CG may be too far forward taking too much to hold the nose up......
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gary

OK, I have two P-120 powered Hawk fuselages in the office, I'll compare both as fuselages only. Also, looks like another test flight is on with a P-140Rx powered version, so will measure and check that Saturday

Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM
husafreak

Aw nuts! Came up about 4" short on 4mm turbine fuel line and had to place an order for more... Should be RTF in a couple weeks though.
As for the EDF good luck and I hope you can source a dependable ESC for 14s. It is just too EZ to burn up the big systems. Will you have full intake ducting for it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.