Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Striker
I missed a very bad winter last season, will not miss it but got away from it. Now have to run away from hurricane season in the West Indies 9 degrees C is like summer up north for us, we have a few days some times when it hits -40 dec C and for many weeks below -20.
Can offer food and warmth, but both might be blown away soon.
A 9X would be a good source of heat and happiness. Happy to hear that they will be out sooner than later.
Thank you, your quoted post highlighted a very bad typo, now corrected.
"Please do offer food or warmth to the troll." should have read "Please do not offer food or warmth to the troll."
who submitted an inflamatory post regarding an off topic transmitter.
My intention was to starve him of feedback and stop his further trolling for bites from readers.

Alan T.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Striker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, your quoted post highlighted a very bad typo, now corrected.
''Please do offer food or warmth to the troll.'' should have read ''Please do not offer food or warmth to the troll.''
who submitted an inflamatory post regarding an off topic transmitter.
My intention was to starve him of feedback and stop his further trolling for bites from readers.

Alan T.

I should have deciphered that Al, the trolls deserve starvation, cold blasts and a lot more. I was giving his ignorance the benefit of the doubt, but should have realized his ignorance should not have yielded any pity, since his self indulgence in it seems epically gratifying.

It's howling here with winds today, the guys are heading out to one of the cliffs to do some gliding over the ocean. Definitely need two 9X radios when doing that with the effects from the salt air and moisture.

Hope you can get some flying in despite the cold.
Guess the next cool upgrade on the Hitec radios should be heated grips and sticks

Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Striker
I should have deciphered that Al, the trolls deserve starvation, cold blasts and a lot more. I was giving his ignorance the benefit of the doubt, but should have realized his ignorance should not have yielded any pity, since his self indulgence in it seems epically gratifying.
It's howling here with winds today, the guys are heading out to one of the cliffs to do some gliding over the ocean. Definitely need two 9X radios when doing that with the effects from the salt air and moisture.
Hope you can get some flying in despite the cold.
Guess the next cool upgrade on the Hitec radios should be heated grips and sticks
Used to love slope soaring but the gannets have taken over as have the bird watchers.
The gannets were blown across from Australia, multiplied on a small offshore island and have now taken over the
best fliying site in Auckland.
For all those flying off cliffs, take care of any chrome plating or metalic parts on your Tx:

Aurora 9 - Transmitter - Care of, especially in high humidity areas.
extract
""a few tips:
1. With all TX, irrespective of brand/model, when slope soaring on misty mountain/cliff tops and especially in high winds over coastal waters,
ensure TX is dried down afterwards and salt residue removed.
If stored in a TX case, keep a packet of regularily dried desiccant in the case, or leave TX in hot water cupboard to ensure it is dried out.
Moisture can cause faulty switches, start corrosion and other problems which may become permanent".
<snip>

Alan T.

</snip>
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Beej

HI,

I have a rather perplexing problem and I was hoping to get some views. In brief, my set up is petrol engine, high torque servos and power supplied by a completely redundant systems 2 x A123 1100mah, 2 x HD switches and two leads into my optima 9 receiver. Have been flying this set up without incident for nearly a year and the batteries are in good shape - balance is fine before and after, predictable levels of discharge after flying etc. The last few times I have been flying I have noticed a transmitter "beep" when moving throttle to idle - both on the ground and in the air. When I look at my telemetry read out the receiver battery voltage is jumping all over the place when the throttle is at idle, but solid again at higher rpms. I happened to notice that the blue LED on the back of the Tx module gives a flash when the Tx "beeps". I always range check at a variety of rpm settings with the Tx powered down, and no problems, and the plane appears to be solid in the air. I swapped out for a new receiver and same problem, so unlikely to be an issue intrinsic to the Rx. Does this sound like RF interference? I have checked the plug boot and it's on tight with no problems, the ignition braiding is not worn in any way and I have no metal to metal contacts in the throttle linkage. There is a smart fly optical kill in the system as well. I have run out of "obvious" solutions (Well, obvious to me anyway...) . Could RF from the ignition being causing that reaction from Aurora 9? In that case, I have a "new" ignition problem.

Any views appreciated!

cheers,

Beej

Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Beej HI,
I have a rather perplexing problem and I was hoping to get some views.
In brief, my set up is petrol engine, high torque servos and power supplied by a completely redundant systems 2 x A123 1100mah, 2 x HD switches and two leads into my optima 9 receiver.
Have been flying this set up without incident for nearly a year and the batteries are in good shape - balance is fine before and after, predictable levels of discharge after flying etc.
The last few times I have been flying I have noticed a transmitter "beep" when moving throttle to idle - both on the ground and in the air.
When I look at my telemetry read out the receiver battery voltage is jumping all over the place when the throttle is at idle, but solid again at higher rpms.
I happened to notice that the blue LED on the back of the Tx module gives a flash when the Tx "beeps".
I always range check at a variety of rpm settings with the Tx powered down, and no problems, and the plane appears to be solid in the air.
I swapped out for a new receiver and same problem, so unlikely to be an issue intrinsic to the Rx.
Does this sound like RF interference? I have checked the plug boot and it's on tight with no problems, the ignition braiding is not
worn in any way and I have no metal to metal contacts in the throttle linkage.
There is a smart fly optical kill in the system as well. I have run out of "obvious" solutions (Well, obvious to me anyway..
. Could RF from the ignition being causing that reaction from Aurora 9? In that case, I have a "new" ignition problem.
Any views appreciated! cheers, Beej

1. Those batteries have a definite shelf life. They could have been sitting a while before purchase and either dropping out
or more likely the connections are getting corroded ( Black Wire Corrosion) or flexing has broken solder / weld joints.
Please read the warnings in red re A123 under:
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 - caution re NiMH & Alert re LiFE.

2. As LBW is actuating at low speed, the power leads to transceiver could be jittering with increased vibration from low engine speed -
not always a good idea to have prop balanced in all dimensions on a balancer, putting the heavy side opposite the conrod of single
piston engines may help reduce vibration. (but in this case the connections and all leads/switches between battery & 09 ports must be
checked/ cleaned/ tightened/ re-soldered as necessary.
. Prop Balancing - Joe Wagner - March 9, 1998

3. Have your A9, Spectra Module and Optima 9 all been updated to the latest firmware?
. After Market Accessories - Ignition Systems, Leads, Modules & Switches - Cautions.
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use
..(includes Screenshots & Current Firmware Versions for all related Units).
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference pictures

Much more information available under sub sections
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM
JIMF14D

Also chedk that is there is no binding of throttle servo at low end that might load servo motor and battery. Probably a bad wiring thing but remotely possible binding issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Beej

Alan and JIMF14D

Many thanks for the rapid replies - my modules are updated so I will start to chase down the other suggestions.

best

Beej

Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
CAT POwer
My Feedback: (61)

worn metal throttle/choke linkage
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Well I now have eight flights on my Giant Ugly Stick using my new A 9. Took me a little time to work my way thru the learning curve as it is quite different from the Eclipse 7's I have. Nice transmitter that should serve me well!

OF COURSE NOW THERE IS THE X 9.................
Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Beej

Hi Alan and others,

I am currently setting up the throws and dual rates on my new comp arf (Aurora 9 set up and 7955tgs on all flying surfaces). I used my HFP 25 to reset the elevator servos, moved the deadband to "2" to calm the "jitters" down a bit but left everything else the same. I neutralised the elevator halves using the Tx sub trim and have no fancy conditions set (yet). I have set the desired throws in both directions using my Tx EPA not the HFP 25. My problem is that every time I flip the designated high rate/low rate switch on the Tx the servo centre moves by a couple of degrees. As I flick backwards and forwards between "high" and "low" so does the servo (and elevators!) without any other inputs. Any advice as to what could be the problem is very much appreciated.
best

Beej
Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Beej Hi Alan and others,
I am currently setting up the throws and dual rates on my new comp arf (Aurora 9 set up and 7955tgs on all flying surfaces).
I used my HFP 25 to reset the elevator servos, moved the deadband to "2" to calm the "jitters" down a bit but left everything else the same.
I neutralised the elevator halves using the Tx sub trim and have no fancy conditions set (yet). I have set the desired throws in both directions
using my Tx EPA not the HFP 25
. My problem is that every time I flip the designated high rate/low rate switch on the Tx the servo centre moves by a couple of degrees.
As I flick backwards and forwards between "high" and "low" so does the servo (and elevators!) without any other inputs.
Any advice as to what could be the problem is very much appreciated. best Beej
If EPAhave been fully extended and dual rates also extended, servo could be overdriven:
. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=8
see also
Aurora 9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters must be set in correct ordere.g. V_tail, see chart.
and
Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Center & End Point - Adjust to Match TX
Digital Servo - Digital vs Analogue Hz, Deadband & Torque effects explained - Servomances.
. Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Center Point & End Point variance - Why & Correction

Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Programmer is Preferable to using EPA & Trims on TX
Digital Servo Instruction Videos - Programming with HFP-10, HFP-20, HPP-21+, HFP-25
. Digital Servo - High Resolution & Jitter - Why & DIY Cure #02

Digital Servo - Delayed or Slow Centering at Start up #01
. Digital Servo - Stop the Jitter of High Resolution Servo at center

. Digital Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

. Digital Servo - How to calculate Servo Lead or Extension Lead Gauge and if Boostered Buffered Required

. Digital Servo - HSR (Robotic) Servo. Do Not Use for Acro or Standard Purposes.
<dl> <dt> and more below Digital servo under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at

Alan T.
</dt></dl>

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
A.T.

HPP-22 Update to V1.15(0)
<hr size="1" style="color:#A7A7A7; background-color:#A7A7A7" />
Update covers:

HPP-22 V1.15(0)
1. New HTS-ADVANCE screen is created
Before, HTS-SS NITRO, BLUE, ADVANCE screens are separated,
but all screens are combined by ALL HTS-SS screen

2. HTS-VOICE V1.04(1) patch
- Altitude Reset Function added
When HTS-VOICE is using HTS-GPS and Variometer together,
altitude will have auto
- reset when HTS-Voice turned on.

Reminder: The old program must be uninstalled separately before user installs the new program, refer:
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use
..(includes Screenshots & Current Firmware Versions for all related Units).

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips

Alan T.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
357magnum

Thanks for the Update Alan.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 AM
JIMF14D

So "late July" has come and gone and now Tower says Aurora 9x is "on order".  I guess the original A9 delivery history from 2009 and 2010 is repeating itself for the 9X.  And the manual is still "coming soon" on the Hitec website.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Seems to be the "modern" way. Preannounce to try to hold onto existing customers who want something new. If Hitec USA really believes the dates then there is no "lie" is there?
I think I will believe when I see and I will let Beta testers test with their money and their experience from now on. Bleeding edge is for those who don't mind bleeding!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM
JIMF14D

Well Iam not in a rush to buy it this year but enjoy watching the process...LOL.

From my past experience with Hitec stuff, it will be worth the wait...............when the price is right and there are some RX deals to go with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Spitfire222

It would have been nice if the 9X had been released before summer was close to ending so that pilots could have purchased it and thoroughly used/evaluated it during the summer flying months. I'm in desperate need of a Tx upgrade, so I was all set to pull the trigger on an Aurora when I saw the 9X was "available soon". That was back in March or April; I'm impatient to get my hands on a 9X.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 AM
JIMF14D

We could start a 9X delivery lottory....LOL
Tower is now saying "late August" for one 9x version.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM
rs402931

did they say August of WHAT YEAR? lol........ But still gonna be worth the wait
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4*60

Seems to be the ''modern'' way. Preannounce to try to hold onto existing customers who want something new. If Hitec USA really believes the dates then there is no ''lie'' is there?
I think I will believe when I see and I will let Beta testers test with their money and their experience from now on. Bleeding edge is for those who don't mind bleeding!

Yes it’s frustrating when a manufacture announces a release date then extends it. In Hitec’s case sometimes it has been extended by as much as a year. I questioned Mike Mayberry on this when I was last in Toledo and he told me quite bluntly why this happens most of the time. He first asked if I was a long time user and I agreed I had been for many years. He asked what my satisfaction level was with the products and I agreed that it and service when I required it was above average. He then explained that suppliers and parts availability can be one of the reasons for a delayed launch but most times it’s because some issue has come to their attention during beta testing and rather than release a product with a known issue it is worth the extra cost of the delay to get things right for the customer.

At first I was a bit skeptical thinking it was just PR hype for the customer but after giving it some thought I have to agree that personally I have had no issues with Hitec products preforming as expected right out of the box. Any time I have phoned for product support I have gotten a complete knowledgeable answer by their tech department and it wasn’t someone leafing through a FAQ book reading me canned answers to my questions.

I would sooner wait until the product is thoroughly tested and fixed than have to deal with problems because it was released to soon.

I have two of the Auroras one of which I will be swapping out when the 9X becomes available.
Dennis
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
A.T.

Aurora 9X - arrived.
Aurora 9X have arrived
"We just got them so they should be shipping worldwide shortly. - Mike."
Have been retailed in UK past couple of weeks.

Alan T.

PS:
Good review with many photos/Screenshots:
. "Kanoh's Model Sailplane Workshop"
= http://model-sailplane.sakura.ne.jp/aurora9x-02.html (Japanese text, use Google translate in need)
= http://model-sailplane.sakura.ne.jp/...etting-01.html = Aurora 9X for Orion E - shows screen shots of setup

Last edited by A.T.; 08-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
JIMF14D

Tower is showing multiple versions as "mid-Aug" so maybe we are getting close. When do the RX deals start?.........................
Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

If anyone here has some of the "current" Optima 9's they'd like to part with anticipating the new stuff, please PM me....I'd like a couple. Or the url of someone/supplier who has the "old" versions on close-out would be great, too. TIA.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
JIMF14D

I am not aware there is an old and new Optima. The new RXs that are designed for high speed (4096) with the Aurora 9x are called Maxima 6 or 9 I think. They are faster but do not provide TM and I think the software can only be updated by Hitec. There is no Maxima 7 channel. They are a little cheaper than the Optima series it seems.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by JIMF14D
I am not aware there is an old and new Optima. The new RXs that are designed for high speed (4096) with the Aurora 9x are called Maxima 6 or 9 I think. They are faster but do not provide TM and I think the software can only be updated by Hitec. There is no Maxima 7 channel. They are a little cheaper than the Optima series it seems.
Sorry I used the wrong name/version. I'm looking for some Optima 9's....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.