Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
czorzella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Franko2fly: I have always put my iphone in shirt pocket with sti module pointing up. Never had a problem getting information from airplane tm1000. Also, the iphone speakers are on the bottom of the phone where the sti plugs in. Makes it easy to hear without a plug in the ear.
Where I usually fly, we have a sort of deck in front of our body so its easy to lay the radio, glasses or accessories like the iphone there, but what I don't like is that other pilots kind of complain about the telemetry readouts in loudspeaker, so your invention comes handy in my case. I will surely give it a try. Thank you.

Carlos

Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Franco2fly

This morning I did a test to see which plane Horizontal or Vertical works best. Simple test I fired up the whole shooting match (more on this later) and then walked out the door umbrella in hand. I got 3 houses down in the development before the bars did anything. Curiously, there was no middle ground, ie. 2 or 3 bars. It was all 5 bars or nothing. I rotated the iPhone between horizontal and vertical. Drop outs occurred when in the horizontal plane. Vertical plane pointing the back of the iPhone towards the house worked best.

Now to digress a bit. Much of this interest started yesterday when I pulled down my Tricolori, (a reworked Diamante :

I flew this months ago with an AR6200 receiver but now wanted to fly with GPS and G-force sensors. Even using Andy's trick of using a "Y" connector, I could not get the TM1000 to bind. Here's the sequence I used.

Bind plug in, AR connector, Bind pressed on iPhone for STi, all lights blinking fast.

With Transmitter in off position but set for the Tricolori, depress train button and power on.

Receiver light goes steady, remote Rx light goes steady at first, TM1000 light goes out, STi device goes steady but no needles show on dials.

I repeated about 5 times same results. I pulled out another AR6200 from a different plane and got slightly different results. This time I got the TM1000 to link but repeated efforts I could not get the
STi to link.

Now i'm losing patience. I raid another plane this one with a AR6210x and was able to get everything to link. However, I got no GPS data. I re-bind about a half dozen times and could not get the
GPS sensor to work. OK I raid another plane pull the GPS sensor and this time everything works. Now here's the kicker, the GPS sensor that didn't work, was put in the other plane up in the shop.

I had been working out in the drive way so that there was a clear view of the satellites, but putting the non-functional GPS in the bird that was in the shop, it burst into life. Even in the shop it picked up 6 birds.
Out in the driveway I get 10.

I have no idea as to why 2 different AR6200's would not correctly bind with TM1000, nor why a 6210x bound and didn't like the GPS unit. In all I would bet it took me 2 hours to finally get the combination of sensors
to all read correctly, and I am really holding my breath for the trip to the flying field.

Anybody else see these kinds of pecularities? I'll bet a flying session doesn't go by that I need to select between different models to get the STi to finally connect correctly. Sometimes the bind light comes on but there
are no needles present. Usually, if I select the wrong model, and come back to the correct one it cures itself.

I would like to hear from others that fly telemetry in multiple models on a give day as to their trials and tribulations.

KKKKFL
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM
czorzella

Franco, have you updated the firmware of your radio yet? If not, I suggest that you takeit to 1.04d and then check if the binding issue persists.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Franco2fly

By radio, I'm guessing you mean the DX8  transmitter and I believe it is up to date.  Besides, that shouldn't have anything to do with the STi application and certainly wouldn't cause the GPS module not to send data for the DX8 to read.  Airspeed data was tested using a soda straw to blow air over the pitot tube, and since I have the altitude sensor in a pill capsule with a super thin golden rod extension a puff or drag would cause the altimeter to read correctly, voltages were also reading, just the GPS stayed a zero's.  As soon as I easter egged the sensor the new one read.  And the old one read fine when it was place back in the original aircraft.

Since I didn't have these issues in the past, I don't know where to look.  Is there such a thing as Software rot?

KKKKFL
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
czorzella

Franco, my mistake here! For some reason I thought that your transmitter was a DX18 which has a firmware recent released.I sincerely don't know what to say. You've already digged deep trying to find the root cause of issues of your telemetry.Let's hope someone else can help us here.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
JohnB96041

Franko2fly: Have you confirmed that the small, short cables that connect the modules via daisy chain are good between the GPS module and then previous module?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
czorzella

Another thing:I dont know if this is relevant or not, but Ialways place the GPS at the end of the daisy chain using a longer cable.

TM1000 ===>Altimeter ========>GPS
Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Franco2fly

Yup I hate this micro connectors and I moved the position around 
so at different times the connector itself was different. I might mention that of the 4 GPS modules
One needs to go back to Horizon as it has a bad solder joint that I found
while inspecting with a magnifying glass. I could get this one to work when
applying pressure to a shiny disk about the size of a collar button. It's prolly
The antenna. 
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Franco2fly

I'll give that a try next time. Might be something to that as the plane the
troublesome unit eventually went into does have such a set up. Whereas
the problematic plane had GPS as the first of the daisy chain
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Franco2fly

Result of tests this weekend found that the Hip extender worked but was a little awkward. The last test of the day was to clip the iPhone with the dongle facing upwards to a post on a starting table. As can be seen, there are no dropouts at extremes of the field. This lead me to purchase Jaybird Freedom earbuds, which allow the audio from the iPhone to be wirelessly transmitted to me. I realize there may be some concerns operating a Bluetooth simultaneously, but so far in the shop and driveway the datalink has not been effected. More on this approach after another flight session.

KKKKFL
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Aerocal

Franco
I think you have heard me say before that is exactly what Ive been doing from the start.Bluetooth headset and leave the Phone and dongle on the bench or a plastic chair.No signal issues that I can notice. Bluetooth is a pretty low power signal. I dont think it would have much if any affect on the primary "control" signal. My initial tests showed no noticeable difference in FL data with or without Bluetooth nearby.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Franco2fly

Someone else had said that Andy was a little cautious about the flight data being impacted due to the proximity of a BT device. Another thing to bear in mind is that not all BT earphones are the same. The original set I purchased were made by LG and these had some sort of issues with the iPhone. They would chop the audio. My initial feeling was that the problem was in the iPhone, but I was able to find a vendor that allowed me to
test a couple different devices. I wound up purchasing the Jaybird Freedom earbuds at 70 bucks, and they fit well and seem to work well. The initial start up is a little kludgey, since they were designed for MUSAK and not
spoken words, but I start a iTune track, then quit iTunes they stay bound and work fine. Might just be me too, since the instructions are printed on a page in .005 font and too hard for my old eyes to read.

I'll be clipping the iPhone/STi to the start up table and stand about 5 feet away.

Thanks for your input... now on another topic.

What is the sequence that you use to fire up everything? I turn the transmitter on first ensuring that the correct model is shown, then I turn on the model and watch for the bars on the DX8 to indicate telemetry signal.
Then I fire up the iPhone STi application. Four out of Five times I will see no needels and no bars on the iPhone. Next I select the wrong model and come back to the correct model. It might take me 3 trys before I get
the STi application to connect correctly. I've seen no needles, the the little light in the dongle indicating lock and sometimes I need to resort to re-cycling power on the iPhone to get it to work correctly. I am using a 4G iPhone at present and would like to break the code on getting it to lock first time every time. I usually bring 3 airplanes to the field, but I have all the slots filled for the STi application.

Anybody else in this boat?

KKKKFL
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Franco2fly

Just completed a range test for the JF3 wireless ear buds in the front of the house. I had solid reception and spoken data all the way out to the mail box which is a good 40 feet with the iPhone/dongle clipped to a fishing rod holder up by the front door. I will also report that these ear phones come with a variety of plugs and gizmo's to ensure a good solid comfortable fit.
Battery life is listed as 2 hours, which is more than adequate for my flying needs. They recharge using a USB connector, so one could re-charge from a car lighter if need be.

Next report will be the real field test, but I don't anticipate any problems.

KKKKFL

Last edited by Franco2fly; 08-07-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: missed some data
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM
czorzella

Originally Posted by Franco2fly
Someone else had said that Andy was a little cautious about the flight data being impacted due to the proximity of a BT device.
This is the link where Andy says: "Using a BT audio is probably a bad idea. You're talking about putting a second 2.4g transmitter in close proximity to your telemetry receiver - perfect way to make sure you don't get good telemetry reception."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#11426776

... I fire up the iPhone STi application. Four out of Five times I will see no needels and no bars on the iPhone. Next I select the wrong model and come back to the correct model. It might take me 3 trys before I get the STi application to connect correctly. I've seen no needles, the the little light in the dongle indicating lock and sometimes I need to resort to re-cycling power on the iPhone to get it to work correctly. I am using a 4G iPhone at present and would like to break the code on getting it to lock first time every time. I usually bring 3 airplanes to the field, but I have all the slots filled for the STi application.
Anybody else in this boat?
KKKKFL
I'm definitively on the same boat!!!
I'm not as patient as I used to be and most of the times that it happens like you described, I simply give up using STI and use only the telemetry provided with my DX18.
BTW, I really think that STI would require an update. It acts weird like you described most of the times that I attempt to use it.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 AM
erieqc

If anyone has a interest in buying an sti for your iPhone horizon dropped the price to $49.99.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Franco2fly

When it works, I believe it to be a better solution than the new DX9, where they are going to provide audio out. Sure wish they had consulted me because I have been flying the STi unit now for over a year and I believe I could have provided some valuable inputs. For example, one really doesn't NEED to hear all the data fields once you have the bugs worked out of an airplane. I takes me several flights to establish what prop is best, so RPM and Temp, and Airspeed are valuable read outs initially. That said, once I have the optimum settings, I really only want Airspeed, and altitude. With the DX9, how are they going to provide GPS plotting? Currently, I review the approaches I am making RIGHT after landing. The STi just needs to be removed and replay the flight. I find this valuable in establishing whether I went too far and over flew houses at the far end of the field, I can make subsequent approaches differently if I so determine. Again, this is something that grew out of experimentation. Hands free wireless has been the missing component.

I sure would like the STi developers to spend a couple of weekends with me... heck, I'll even provide the Bed&Breakfast... an update with a couple of enhancements for the STi would go a long way.

KKKKFL
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM
czorzella

Andy, this sure is a direct invitation. If I was part of your team, I wouldn't miss this opportunity!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Franco2fly

So are there only three of us using the STi? I would have thought someone would have broken the code as to a good sequence that allows the plane selected to work properly right out of the box.

I have found that when I do have difficulties, one trick is to fire up the application without the dongle connected. As soon as you get the alert that the "accessory not connected" plug the dongle in.
There may be a timing issue as to when the exact moment to plug it in is best, and sometimes even this doesn't work. I then resort to selecting different models, always bouncing back to the correct
one until the needles show. What is weird is that sometimes the "bind" light will show, but no needles. AND, I've seen where the bind light stays list even when I go to the wrong model. I'm starting
to believe in "Software rot" as a possibility.

KKKKFL
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 AM
czorzella

So are there only three of us using the STi? I would have thought someone would have broken the code as to a good sequence that allows the plane selected to work properly right out of the box.

I have found that when I do have difficulties, one trick is to fire up the application without the dongle connected. As soon as you get the alert that the "accessory not connected" plug the dongle in.
There may be a timing issue as to when the exact moment to plug it in is best, and sometimes even this doesn't work. I then resort to selecting different models, always bouncing back to the correct
one until the needles show. What is weird is that sometimes the "bind" light will show, but no needles. AND, I've seen where the bind light stays list even when I go to the wrong model. I'm starting
to believe in "Software rot" as a possibility.

KKKKFL
Same here!
Most of the times that I fire up the application without the dongle connected and then as soon as I get the alert that the "accessory not connected" I plug the dongle in, it works, but what I found is that sometimes, even with this procedure, nothing happens and that is the point when I usually give up and go out to fly with only the telemetry provided by the radio. Its very frustating having to rely on a system that sometimes work, other times doesn't.... I really think that Spektrum should review the STI app.

Carlos
Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Franco2fly

The sequence that usually gives best results for me is to start by shutting down all iPhone applications. (sometimes I even do a power cycle) After I have the planes unloaded and the first flyer up on one of our starting tables, I check the batteries with the EOS battery tester. If that test passes, I turn on the DX8 transmitter, ensuring that I have the correct aircraft selected. Once its up and running I turn on the plane and watch for the telemetry bars on the screen of the DX8. Next I fire up the STi application and watch for the needles. If I have needles, I push a soda straw over the pitot tube and give it a puff. As long as the needle swings up, I'm good to go. A recent final test is to scroll through the menu's on the DX8 to GPS and make certain the GPS has sats and good nav. I guess I'm gonna have to add a step for the wireless ear buds.

KKKKFL
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
czorzella

I guess I'm gonna have to add a step for the wireless ear buds.

KKKKFL
That's what I was thinking. Now we have an additional battery to charge before going to the field.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Franco2fly

I'm convinced that wireless earbuds are the way to go. I've had multiple trips to the flying field all with excellent results. I have taken to using my beach rod holder as the mount for the iPhone.with it only feet away, I have solid performance. Now lets move on to fixing the STi dongle. Here's the problem re-stated.

You fire up the transmitter, fire up the aircraft receiver. ensure you have telemetry bars showing on the DX transmitter. Now with all applications previously turned off on the iPhone, you plug in the Dongle. The application comes up and you select the appropriatee aircraft. If successful on the first try the window comes up and the needles are present, there's also a bar indication. If you're lucky that's what happens, but sometimes (about 50/50) no needles are present. When this happens I select another model (the wrong one) and come back to the correct model. I might have to repeat this 3 or four times before the needles show. Another trick is to fire up the STi application and leave the dongle out. When you get the Warning message, plug the dongle in. This will sometimes work. In extreme cases, I have had to RE-Bind Everything to get it to work.

DEVELOPERS, what in the Sam Hill is going on? Is there a fix in the wind? Is there an STi device for Android users on the horizon? How about an STi update? I don't need the date of release, just knowledge that it continues to be supported.

KKKKFL
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 AM
czorzella

I'm convinced that wireless earbuds are the way to go. I've had multiple trips to the flying field all with excellent results. I have taken to using my beach rod holder as the mount for the iPhone.with it only feet away, I have solid performance. Now lets move on to fixing the STi dongle. Here's the problem re-stated.

You fire up the transmitter, fire up the aircraft receiver. ensure you have telemetry bars showing on the DX transmitter. Now with all applications previously turned off on the iPhone, you plug in the Dongle. The application comes up and you select the appropriatee aircraft. If successful on the first try the window comes up and the needles are present, there's also a bar indication. If you're lucky that's what happens, but sometimes (about 50/50) no needles are present. When this happens I select another model (the wrong one) and come back to the correct model. I might have to repeat this 3 or four times before the needles show. Another trick is to fire up the STi application and leave the dongle out. When you get the Warning message, plug the dongle in. This will sometimes work. In extreme cases, I have had to RE-Bind Everything to get it to work.

DEVELOPERS, what in the Sam Hill is going on? Is there a fix in the wind? Is there an STi device for Android users on the horizon? How about an STi update? I don't need the date of release, just knowledge that it continues to be supported.

KKKKFL
Franco, the way you described the issues with telemetry and the procedures that you follow to try to recover when it fail, reflects perfectly well the experience I have with it. In my case I found the best results by firing up the STi application and leave the dongle out. When I get the Warning message, I plug the dongle in. if it still doesn't work after two attempts, I give up because the next step is certainly having to rebind it.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM
JohnB96041

Just my 2 cents worth. My proceedure is as follow: Turn on Trans, wait till it boots up. Turn on receiver, wait till it boots and shows a connection to the Trans. Go to Iphone, shut down all background apps. Launch the STI apps on the iphone, wait for the warning message that the STI module is not plugged in. Plug in the Sti module and wait for a connection. Has never failed to connect and everything works. I have the TM1000 installed on three different airplanes. When switching airplanes, I first reset the trans to the next airplane. Turn off and restart the trans with new plane settings. Turn on next receiver, wait for a connection on the Trans. Now go to the iphone, launch STI apps, wait for failure, pick the next airplane, shut down the apps from background. Restart the apps with new model, wait for failure of no STI module. Insert the STI and wait for connection. Works for me every time for the last 2 years.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
czorzella

John, Thats is it, but still we must have a lot patience....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.