Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Flap to aileron ratios.

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Flap to aileron ratios.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flap to aileron ratios.

Hi team, I'd like to play around with a Kadet LT 40 and split the ailerons and add flaps. My intention is to increase the chord of the strip ailerons by 50% to keep the ailerons' effectiveness.

But I have no idea where to make the cut. 50% flaps and ailerons, 60 percen ailerons and 40% flaps.

Your suggestions and comments please.

TIA
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Flap to aileron ratios.

When people do this with the Ultrasport 60, which is about the same wingspan as the LT-40, though a very different plane, they make the flaps about 8 inches long (each side) if memory serves. There are more exact descriptions in the Ultrasport building threads. They say they don't have to enlarge the remaining part of the ailerons at all because it's the outer part of the aileron that does the real work. I've finished an US 60 with flaps but haven't flown it yet. With an LT-40 I'd be inclined to enlarge the ailerons because it flies slower, and the ailerons aren't all that effective at low airspeeds anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
BobFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else you could try would be to put dedicated servos on each aileron, use different channels, and with your TX mix them. Then program them to be flaperons. I did this with a 4Star60 and they worked pretty good. I personally love the LT-40 and have been flying mine for over 13 years.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 AM
ron12901

On planes I have scratch built I generally have 1/3 flaps 2/3 aileron. Did this on a couple of modified giant cloud dancers.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Lnewqban

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
............My intention is to increase the chord of the strip ailerons by 50% to keep the ailerons' effectiveness.
For calculating the new area of the ailerons, consider the Area x Distance of centroid of area to center
axis of the fuselage.

For keeping the same ailerons' effectiveness:

New Area x New Distance = Old Area x Old Distance