Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

sig new arf

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

sig new arf

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig new arf

I was pleased to see sig has anew release. The t clip looksgreat and the theresseveral others.hope they are sucessful as ihave grown tired of 3dhobby and 3d in general.alsoaeroworks is going torelease a classic laser 200.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: sig new arf

Whatever happened to proof reading before hitting the "OK" button? Are we supposed to be able to read that?

Frank
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
hrrcflyer

I don't have any problems reading the post, but I was expecting to see a link for the new plane.

David
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the T-post is an electric, but the better news is the four-stars are coming back , both the 40 and 60, but now their call four_star 54 and 64

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM
sharpe917

SIG also has an Sbach 300 ARF coming out later this year:http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-XA41-SB...ARF_p_129.html
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

I don't have any problems reading the post, but I was expecting to see a link for the new plane.

David
Ditto, no problem here. Probably posting on a tablet, I get in hurry and do the same thing and usually end up going back and fixing it.

Link or picture would be nice.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks.as a matter of fact I am using a tablet and they are sucky when it comes to typing.I dont take frank negative sarcasismseriously.it takes all types in here.probably why rcu is wearing out.but I thought I was helping just forgot the link.thanks for putting it in here.sheesh!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm, I pre-ordered a 4 Star 64 in yellow several weeks ago. Today my credit card was charged. So don't know if that means the release date in July is now massively ahead of schedule or not. Sent them an email and will probably call to verify but if the model is shipping, Wahoo.

Well, got an email back from SIG. Models are NOT here. This is what they wrote:

"We are charging the credit cards now to insure that you get your order off of the first container that arrives. The shipment is still due in July."

They did offer to credit my card but then said "but there will be no guarantee for the first container." Personally I don't mind paying for it now but I find it strange that they can't keep a list and first come first serve. They should have some idea how many of each model they will receive. Anyway, just wanted to pass on the info. I've got other things to work on before July so doesn't much matter to me.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 PM
jmcowart

Ordered my 4* 64 EG ARF from SIG yesterday. They said they were beginning shipments on that day. Ihave my invoice and am looking forward to the ARF's arrival. Is anyone on the forum familiar with converting the ailerons to flaps and ailerons? Ihave heard using 60% of the existing aileron as aileron and the remaining 40% as flaps works very well without significantly reducing aileron effectiveness.....? Any thoughts on that?

Seems as if this 4* 64 lends itself to mods and fun experiments - anyone got any plans or ideas?

I'm putting an OS 61FX that I salvaged from another plane on my SIG 4* 64 with an eight channel receiver to allow for additions such as flaps. Another recommendation Ihave heard is to replace the aluminium landing gear with Dubfo gear. I still have to look into that. I know that a few hard landings will spread aluminium gear pretty good, so fiber glass or carbon would maybe be a good thing. Nobody plans for hard landings, but things have a way of happening.

If anyone has any ideas or comments Iwould love to see them and maybe learn something... Thanks, you'all.

Mike.
Atlanta, Georgia
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Whatever happened to proof reading before hitting the ''OK'' button? Are we supposed to be able to read that?

Frank
I agree with you. But this is what happens when you have people doing nothing but texting, these days. [&o]
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Got my Sig 4 Star 54 last week. It's beautiful. The differences from my old 4 Star are: 1.) shorter wing, 2.) smooth, rather than ribbed, turtle dec, 3.) larger tail feathers, especially the fin and rudder, and 4.) nicer transition from the turtle deck into the tail section. I'm thinking of putting my old Enya 53 into this one since it is one of my most reliable engines. I'll used new servos, battery, and 2.4 ghz receiver.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0896.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1905746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0899.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1905747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0900.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1905748  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
jmcowart

Just got mine yesterday - Also Ferrari red... Seems a really well done ARF. Starting assembly today and putting an O.S. 61FX on it, since I had one on the shelf. I am changing landing gear to the Dubro super strength gear and am also going to 4 inch low bounce wheels - to address the rough ground and grass at the flying field. Also going to change the hardware to socket head bolts and screws. Of course all these are just personal preference - the ARF looks great just as is. Also on hand are A6020 servos, AR8000 receiver and 6 volt NiMH pack. I think I am going to try the 12 OZ roto-flow tank. Also think I'm going to a one-piece wing - for added convenience in setting up at the field, finally an Electro Dynamics switch I can check batt and charge through............. Using separate servos on ailerons ( No Y-extension). Still kicking around whether to split the elevator and use two servos tthere (for redundancy) Or is that overthink, overkill, and an invitation for problems and complications? Maybe I'd better leave well enough alone. Any opinions or suggestions? Any thoughts are always appreciated. Mike.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM
philakapd

I'm on the fence...which size 4 Star? I have everything necessary for either ARF, with one exception. I only use 3s Lipos. I've been avoiding purchasing 4s or 5s for several years now. The 3s is fine for the 54, but creating a 6s for the 64 may be excessive. I'm not in a hurry, but I can't wait to get another 4 Star in my possession...it's been about 10 years. Maybe I'll just get both .
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM
jeffie8696

I picked up the Ferrari Red 54" and plan to install my new Saito 62 (tentatively). Beauty of a plane. Dual aileron servos are in order but nothing exotic.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
jmcowart

Started putting the 4* 64 EG ARF together a couple of days ago - Lovely job on covering. Tight and no wrinkles anywhere (yet).... I elected to replace the aluminium landing gear with a set of Du-Bro super strength landing gear and transferred the hole pattern to the new landing gear. When I tried it out on the pre-drilled holes with blind nuts already installed it didn' fit! One of the holes was about 3/32" off. Of course had already transferred the hole pattern so neither the aluminium gear furnished with the ARF or the after market gear from Du-bro would fit. After a lot of futzing around and wallowing out holes (after heating the blind nuts to loosed the epoxy and driving the blind nuts out), I mounted the replacement gear with extra bolts and Nyloc nuts. I epoxyed the ply reinforcement piece and all around the area of the landing gear. Naturally it was necessary to cut out the center piece of the fuel tank flooring support to be able to reach the Nyloc nuts when tightening them. I replaced that piece with light ply and lots of CA.

Fuel proofed the interior with finishing epoxy and also installed a Sullivan tailwheel that is larger than the stock wheel and bracing.

Installed Spektrum A6020 servos for ailerons (cause I had them around) and used zap goo ( or goop) to hold rubber grommets in place where the aileron leads exit the wing... I elected also to epoxy the two wing halves together. I just think it will be easier and more convenient overall to put it together at the field that way. Letting it cure tonight, then tomorrow I will install the control horns and set up the pushrods and linkages.

Also CA'ed the aileron hinges in place. No problem encountered with any of this with the exception of the mis-located landing gear mounting hole and blind nut. Nice looking airplane and I look forward to getting it out to the field... Fun and easy to put together as well. Mike.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
jmcowart

Installed aileron control horns this afternoon. The pre-drilled holes in the ailerons for the control horn base are directly behind the servo location. This makes it impossible to install the pushrods at a ninety degree angle to the servo arm. It also results in binding on the aileron control horn by the metal clevis........

Even if you feel the basis of such an alignment is the trailing edge of the wing/aileron, placing the aileron horn directly behind the squarely cut servo slot is wrong...... Going to have to move the aileron horns tomorrow to eliminate the pushrod/clevis binding resulting from the angle created from the servo arm end to the aileron horn. Can't be right. I don't know if SIG reads these forums, but they could sure benefit by improving the next edition of an otherwise excellent ARF.

To work smoothly you need that 90 degree angle between the servo arm and the pushrod, with the clevis immediately behind the servo arm hole - not immediately behind the servo itself.

Anyone else deal with this differently? Is there something I am missing or not understanding? Thanks. MIke.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM
abelard

Just started putting the 54 together yesterday (slow progress, since some work crap is going on and it's beastly hot). Slightly disappointed to see the leading edges aren't sheeted -- just film all the way. Other than that, it's pretty nice, and certainly light.

I have an old-style 60 version that's pretty well worn out; had a lot of fun with it, so I anticipate the same with this one.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM
jeffie8696

I noticed that on mine, wasn't sure if it was an issue in any way. As long as its light and flies OK I think it should be fine.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM
abelard

Finally got it together, and it's some kinda noseheavy...took 2 ounces on the tail.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM
or170b
My Feedback: (3)

My 4*64 took 5oz at the tail but I used a saito 91 so I figured that was the reason. I have about 2 hrs flite time on it now and am real pleased with the plane. I flys a lot like my GP Escapade but lands slower. it is quite maneuverable with the big control surfaces. The covering quality is very good and the build is simple.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM
jmcowart

I have an O.S. 61FX on the plane and ended up with 1 1/2 oz lead in the tail. That gave a perfect balance on the EX-Balancer II per their instructions. Will be setting control throws and expo this afternoon. Look forward to maiden flight maybe tomorrow, as its supposed to be a gorgeous fall day in North Georgia.

Made a pretty good mess of installing the canopy. I used too much canopy glue in running the bead around the edge of the canopy and it all ran and smeared while fitting the canopy onto the fuselage. I just made it worse attempting to clean up the inside of the canopy with water and paper towel. This was my first canopy install and I learned the old fashioned way - by screwing it up (thereby learning to do it differently and better next time).

Mike in Douglasville
Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Bladejunkie

Got mine Friday,looks pretty good,except its all one color.I'm going with an Evolution 15cc gasser which I got on Saturday and broke in today sweet running engine,little hard to start by hand though.I got one of the red ones so I think I'll put white stripes on the bottom of wing and stab so these old eyes can tell top from bottom.

Later Jim.