Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Removing Carbon From Top Of Piston

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing Carbon From Top Of Piston

What is available that will remove carbon from the top of a piston. Anything at Home Depot, Lowes or the auto supply stores? Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54367.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1904648  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing Carbon From Top Of Piston

A soft wire wheel on your bench grinder. They are on the shelf next to the std. stiff wire wheels. They remove burnt on gunk from mufflers really well too. No they don't leave scratches because they are soft and the alum. is then ready for polishing if so desired.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Turk1

Best method to remove carbon from combustion chamber is to spray some water into carb at WOT running.Also to make it frequently is good to prevent future additions.I would use Scotchbrite to remove from piston.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

What functional problems is it causing? If none I would leave it and consider a change in oil. As we are well aware there are numerous threads out there telling us the best brand and ratio to use. I would guess the only thing is doing is slightly raising the compression. In the exhaust port I might get worried.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 AM
earlwb

If you are not in a hurry, Dawn Power Dissolver works. For more stubborn deposits a toothbrush and DDDworks too. But one can also scrape the deposits off using whatever they want to use for it. The soft brushes mentioned above work fine.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo

What functional problems is it causing? If none I would leave it and consider a change in oil. As we are well aware there are numerous threads out there telling us the best brand and ratio to use. I would guess the only thing is doing is slightly raising the compression. In the exhaust port I might get worried.
X2
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not worry about that little amount of carbon build up. But if you want it clean you can get some "top end" cleaner or carbon treatment from a parts store and soak the piston crown in it for awhile then scrub with a brass brush. Repeat as needued to achieve the desired effect.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Any of the above mentioned methods will remove that amount of carbon without too much of an effort. It might be important to note for future reference if it is hard or soft carbon, which can give you an indication as to the correctness of your engine tune, and the oil or mix ratio being used.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks to you all for the inputs. I got the engine used and it runs like a top. During a take off, I must have hit a rock or crack. The aluminum blank landing gear got stripped off at full throttle. This ground down the wooden prop before I pulled back the stick. After that, the engine sounded loose when I flipped the prop so I am replacing the connecting rod bearings. Everything else looks fine inside and I will know for sure after I get the engine back together. I am going to take the easy way out with the carbonized piston and leave it alone. If I have to take the engine apart again, I’ll dive right in and clean off the piston. Thanks again. Dan.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Do you mean you are going to change the main (crankshaft) bearings or the needle bearings on the rod? I think I would at least hit that carbon with a scotch brite pad so it doesn't lead to hot spots and preignition.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM
All Day Dan

Ernie, I use Stihl Hp Ultra mixed at 50:1 in 87 octane gas. I did notice the carbon on the top of the piston when I first got the engine and I decided to live with it. Running with the Stihl mixture did remove some of it. The next time I dissemble the engine, for any reason, I’ll remove the carbon. If I wanted to clean it off now, I would have to remove the piston from the connecting rod and remove the ring, both unsavory tasks. Dan.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Ernie Misner

Good plan Dan.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 PM
bdtsr

Any engine that burns oil will get carbon build up. Just a fact. I deal with 2 stroke engines all day long on boats. The problem is when the carbon builds up BEHIND the piston ring pushing it out into the exhaust port which does a nice job over ripping it apart. Yamaha makes a product called Ring Free which works fairly well when mixed with the gas. There are several decarbonizing products on the market to mix with gas or sprayed into the intake.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM
All Day Dan

bd, list some of those products. I would like to try it that way. Dan.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Turk1

Hi Dan, it seems you ignore water mist to WOT running engine method which is cheapest and proved.Maybe you can believe;
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...ater-into.html
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/tw...tml#post868086
Or you may have Google:
water spraying into carburetor to remove carbon buildup
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Ernie Misner

I was reading the directions for a Yamaha (I think...) 2 cycle oil and it said NOT for engines with a power valve. I wonder why.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Power valves LOVE to carbon up and become non functional, sticking closed. If something says it doesn't work well with them, it's due to carbon buildup....
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
bdtsr

Turk is correct about spraying water into the carb at full throttle as it does remove carbon. Gotta love the power of steam. This trick has been around longer than most of us have. Now with that said, I prefer not to use it in two stroke engines as it dilutes the oil that is already diluted from the gas. This practice works VERY well in four stroke engines where the water does not dilute what is lubrcating your engine. AGAIN this is only how I feel about it.

As for available products, SEAFOAM, SEAFOAM DEEP CREEP, OMC/BRP Engine Tuner, CRC Decarb Spray. Any boating store will have something. Most auto parts stores carry SEAFOAM products.

BTW, if your not using stabilzer in your gas ALL the time, DO! Again I see it every day how this crappy gas goes bad VERY quickly. About $13 for a large bottle at most home stores. I use it it everything from lawn equipment to boats to my gas rc planes and my truck which tends to sit at times (use a car most of the time).
Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
All Day Dan

Thanks bd. Dan.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've kind of avoided this post, but here goes....

1. I would never re-assemble an engine without everything nice and clean as it should have been when new.
2. Carbon deposits, even if thin are not desireable and should be removed upon servicing an engine.
3. Carb cleaner, oven cleaner, and various other solvents will soften the carbon. At that point, a good brushing with a bronze or copper wire brush will finish the job.
4. I have cleaned hundreds and hundreds of piston tops by merely passing them across a wire wheel on a bench grinder with no problems encountered, ever, at any time, with any engine.

Just my opinion, and your results may vary!

AV8T0R
Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Gumout carb cleaner cleans carbon off of pistons and cylinder heads. Spray it on and 00 Steel wool scrub it off..
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the engine is going to be disassembled anyway, it's a good idea to clean everything at the same time.

If the engine is running OK, I wouldn't strip it down just to remove the carbon.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> BTW, if your not using stabilzer in your gas ALL the time, DO! Again I see it every day how this crappy gas goes bad VERY quickly. About $13 for a large bottle at most home stores. I use it it everything from lawn equipment to boats to my gas rc planes and my truck which tends to sit at times (use a car most of the time). >>>

What ratio do you use it /gallon? It gives different scenerios on the bottle. Thanks.