Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
raptor30se

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

Question were the rear wing bolts through the wing is is a balsa block or pywood block in the wing? Reason I ask is on the ARF I had to drill out all 4 mounting holes and remove a fiberglass sleeve that was in each balsa block to get enough wiggle room for the bolts to align and thread down to the blind nuts in the fuselage. There is 2 plywood plates used with large washers on the bolts to secure the wing and not pull through. Should I make 4 new fiberglass sleeves to reinsert? I assume its more to keep the holes from elongating? Don't want to loose a wing over something like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

I installed a 1/4" plywood plate on the bottom side and filled in with balsa on the top. I built the 3 piece wing and when I glassed it, I doubled the glass on the center section. (3/4 oz cloth)
No issues after 35 flights on my over-weight version. 52.5# with 150oz of fuel on board.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Been awhile since the last post by myself. My wife has been ill once again and spent three days in the hospital one of which in the ICU dealing with deadly high blood sugar levels right after the Summer afterburner Rally at Farview. She is now insulin dependant and her levels are up and down so much that I have had no time to work on the planes right now taking care of her and working during the day. We see that doctor Friday and hopefully she gets back on oral meds and noit having to stick herself 5 times a day. The planes are ready to cover and maybe with some luck we will have them at the Fall Farview Rally.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
grbaker

I'll keep her in my prayers, Ron.

My wife is insulin dependant and I've had to carry her to the Emergency Room 3 times with blood sugar levels over 500. It always turns into a 2 or 3 day stay. Scarey stuff for sure.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron. You two hang in there and hope the Doc on Friday will help work things out. Also glad meeting you at FiF.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Ron Stahl

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Her blood sugar was 510 when we hit the ER two weeks ago and was 660 when they got the central line started within the hour. She has been so ill the last few years and feels bad that I just never get to enjoy my time away at rallies; because I worrry about her health more than she does it seems at times. Even with all she has been through witht he falls and heart attacks I've never had a Dr tell me that my wife was hours from death if I had not come home. This was the one time I was happy the weather was bad and we got home earlier than planned.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
rfrantz

Hey Ron,

Sorry to hear of Jan's health issues. I ran into Jimmie up at the club field Tuesday evening and he told me she was having problems but I didn't realize how severe her condition was until reading your post. I hope her condition improves quickly as I know how tough it is to be a constant care giver while trying to maintain a busy work schedule. Let her know Carol Anne and I are thinking about her and you also. Please let me know if there's anything I can assist you with. I'm home this weekend than off to Indy next week.

If things work out for the best for Jan, I'll be able to help you with the covering task on Mon, Tues and Wednesday evenings until Hamburg rolls around again. I've got a hot iron and plenty of razor blades. I could also take the load off of you and fix Jimmie's plane if needed.

But we'll just hope for a speedy recovery first and foremost,cause the fun stuff is no fun if we can't share it with our loved ones.

Best wishes
Bob
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Ron Stahl

Bob you're a great friend and without my buddies this would be more overwhelming than what it has been for the two of us. The worst of it is the incompetence at GBMC and fighting with united healthcare and Caremark over her care and RX's. If it wasnt for DR. Mark I think she would have been dead already this time.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

All of us up here in York hope Jan is doing better today and send our best. . Dylan says "Get better Ms Jan". I got everything picked up at the shop for you today and dropped it off at Troys. Got your Baby Habu for you too Bob!! I am also available for maintenance and ironing on TWT evenings. Just let me know
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Gary, hope your still having fun with the Turbinator. I finally balanced mine. I had to put 3 1/2 lbs. of lead in the nose and I already have two 3 cell 5000 mah Lipo batteries plus a A123 battery in the nose. It is going to weigh around 40 lbs dry. I was reading your post #310 that you had to much control on elevator and ailerons. What throws did you end up with on elevator and ailerons?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 AM
grbaker

Originally Posted by jefff
Hi Gary, hope your still having fun with the Turbinator. What throws did you end up with on elevator and ailerons?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff,

I am having a lot of fun with mine! I've got a little over 4# of lead in the nose with 3 batteries and sits at just under 45# dry. I don't remember the throws off the top of my bald head, but I will check them when I get home this afternoon.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:14 PM
grbaker

Jeff,

Here is what I measured:
Ailerons - 7/8" up / 7/8" down / 7/8" crow with full flap
Elevator - 1" up / 3/4" down
Rudder - 2"

Sure doesn't look like much elevator. Had to measure in a hurry on a step ladder. Will verify all measurements Saturday.....going flying.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
jefff

Gary,

Thanks for the throw settings. That will be a good starting point. I will also set my dual rates. I would like to maiden it next week. The temperature is going to be in the 70s, nice and cool.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM
grbaker

Jeff,

I got better measurements today at the field.
Elevator - 1 1/4" up and 1" down
Aileron - 7/8" up and 3/4" down
Rudder - 1 3/4"
Flap - 4 3/4"

I may add a little more elevator. Ran out of it on a real slow landing today....luckily I was only about 4" high
Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 PM
jefff

Gary,

I will go with those settings. Did you use Crow on that landing?

I bit the bullet today and sawed off the nose cone. I hollowed it out and epoxy-ed some lead shot in it. Then Hysol-ed it back in place.The rest of the weight will go in the battery compartment I can remove some if needed.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 AM
grbaker

Did you use Crow on that landing?
Yes. I have only landed a couple of times without crow and did not like it.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
jefff

Hi Gary, I got the Turbinator maidened today. A freind ( Jim Hiller) and club member flew it at our field. It flew great. I did have a right roll that Jim got trimed out. It weighs 38lbs with fuel in the header tank. There is plenty of power to spare with the 180. The CG was spot on. Thanks for the settings. I will try and upload the video later.

Jeff

Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Jefff: Congrats on the maiden. Hiller is the right guy to get a jet trimmed out.

It was Raining around Pitt. If I knew you guys were flying... I would have driven out.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
grbaker

Congrats, Jeff!!!!!! It looks great.....glad it went well!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM
k12rc

congrats cant wait to get mine finished glassing wings now
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
BILLYDSRC

It was a great day for Jeff!! Jeff, I know I took WAY more then 3 pics?? Congratulations my friend on a great build! Billy D.

Originally Posted by jefff
Hi Gary, I got the Turbinator maidened today. A freind ( Jim Hiller) and club member flew it at our field. It flew great. I did have a right roll that Jim got trimed out. It weighs 38lbs with fuel in the header tank. There is plenty of power to spare with the 180. The CG was spot on. Thanks for the settings. I will try and upload the video later.

Jeff

Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 PM
BILLYDSRC

Tony, We flew every day last week and today

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Jefff: Congrats on the maiden. Hiller is the right guy to get a jet trimmed out.

It was Raining around Pitt. If I knew you guys were flying... I would have driven out.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Ron Stahl

Well, the summer has pasted us by and I just wasnt able to put any time into finishing the plane with Jans health issues and my work demands until now. I spent the last week cleaning and reorganizing my shop so it's now onto the building season. I had four minor repairs to do and one major from the last two years of flying and they are all completed but one wing sheetign repair and leading edge replacment. I am very ready to jump all over the planes and get them into the air this coming spring. My last major hurdle was finding a tank from off the shelve that would give us enough fuel for the guys putting in bigger engines; I just didn't want to put in two or three smaller tanks when one big one would fit it I could just find the right configuration. Well that didnt happen and I have a old Kangaroo tank in my standard size Turbinator and since it has been completly trouble free I contatced Gary at Jet Tech and he is going to make a single baffled tank that will hold 186 oz and will fit into the allotted space for 195$. I thought I'd pass that on to everyone who might be interested in getting one as I have been getting some PM's asking about retracts and struts. I promise that they will get done this winter and out to the field. pictures of the progress to follow.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM
jefff

I finally got the video uploaded. Maiden flight, Nighthawks field, Ohio, Jim Hiller pilot

http://youtu.be/usCd9SfRULE
Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

WOW..... The big Turbinator makes a great, relaxed model. I know it's big, but did it break 60 mph ? (lol)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.