Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Caldera 10E...TRUTH OR DARE????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 AM
jroptop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 10E...TRUTH OR DARE????

Hi everyone,My boys each have a Redcat Caldera 10E and a Volcano EXP Pro,the only upgrades to both ar a 3s5000mah Lipo battery and WOW what a world of a difference! Iwill say this,the Volcano EXP Pro is Torquier and faster than the Caldera 10E.I know that the brushless motors are different in both.Is it possible to put a Volcano EXP Pro brushless motor in the Caldera 10E without changing gears?Im assuming Id have to change out the ECS also????Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Caldera 10E...TRUTH OR DARE????

Yes, both fit, as they are 540 motors. No, don't switch the esc. Keep the gears for each car and put them on the new motor.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 AM
jroptop

I was under the assumption that the Volcano only had the 540 motor and the Caldera was different?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Yes, both fit, as they are 540 motors. No, don't switch the esc. Keep the gears for each car and put them on the new motor.
the caldera has a finned out 380 motor...making the total diameter 540 sized. But the functioning part is 380. This is why it has less torque.

The caldera has a 35amp esc, where the volcano's is 60amp. Naturally, the larger 540 motor demands more amps.

You can put the volcano's gear in the caldera...just do both the esc and motor, not just the motor.

The KV of the 2 motors is close enough that you wont have to change the pinion gear size. While you could use the volcano pinion in the caldera, using the caldersa' pinion in the volcano wont work well. The volcano's pinion gear is stronger metal....since its spur gear is metal. The caldera pinion is softer and will wear out or chip its teeth if you use it with the volcano's steel spur gear.

Ive owned both trucks and they are great "bang for your buck" trucks. I never really understood why redcat kept the smaller system in the bigger truck. But I guess that's how they kept the price of the 2 trucks about the same. And the caldera is still pretty quick, especially compared to most sub $250 RTR trucks.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
jroptop

Ok,that makes sense,exactly what I wanted to know,so I can put the identical motor and esc from the Volcano to the Caldera and not have to change the gears.Dont get me wrong,they are BOTH fast on the 3s 5000mah lipo,and rather have the build of a Caldera with the electronics of the Volcano.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jroptop

Ok,that makes sense,exactly what I wanted to know,so I can put the identical motor and esc from the Volcano to the Caldera and not have to change the gears.Dont get me wrong,they are BOTH fast on the 3s 5000mah lipo,and rather have the build of a Caldera with the electronics of the Volcano.
yep, just slap that motor/esc into the caldera and use the stock caldera pinion gear.

just got off the phone with someone at redcat (they were letting me know about stuff to help dealers) and mentioned your post. He said just what I thought, the caldera gets the smaller motor and lower amp system to keep the cost the same as the volcano. If it came with the volcano's system, then it would cost $40-$50 more. And as you say, the caldera's system does do a decent job.
I would encourage use of a motor heat sink if running 3s...as well as using a hobbywing program card to turn up the punch control and turn down the brake force. those adjustments will lower stress on the driveline!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
jroptop

Awesome!!!! I appreciate your feedback and help.I actually already have the program card and did the adjustments as you mentioned to both trucks,the only thing I will do is use the heat sink as you mentioned also! I just ordered a pair of the upgraded steering knucles and C carriers for the Caldera beeing they keep breaking,hopefully the new versions are stronger.The Caldera is one strong built truck to say the least,and as for the Vocano,if Ican stop breaking dogbones and driveshafts,Id be set there as well!My boys LOVE these trucks! Im thinking of getting one myself,Caldera 10E perhaps,with some upgraded goodies,540 motor,Lipo,to start off.....

Thanks again for replying!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Awesome!!!! I appreciate your feedback and help.I actually already have the program card and did the adjustments as you mentioned to both trucks,the only thing I will do is use the heat sink as you mentioned also! I just ordered a pair of the upgraded steering knucles and C carriers for the Caldera beeing they keep breaking,hopefully the new versions are stronger.The Caldera is one strong built truck to say the least,and as for the Vocano,if I can stop breaking dogbones and driveshafts,Id be set there as well!My boys LOVE these trucks! Im thinking of getting one myself,Caldera 10E perhaps,with some upgraded goodies,540 motor,Lipo,to start off.....

Thanks again for replying!
could really blow away the boys and get a earthquake 8e or mirage
upgraded steering knuckles are the 1st most people do. Mine didn't really break, but the screw holes strip out. That's not a good place to use self tapping screws. once they start to come loose, if not tightened right away, they strip out the plastic and then screw wont stay in place anymore.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
jroptop

Yeah thats what happened with the Caldera,the screws fell out or stripped out of the knuckles.Which would you recommend for myself,Mirage or Earthquake 10e?Of course Id like to have the bigger motor )))))

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yeah thats what happened with the Caldera,the screws fell out or stripped out of the knuckles.Which would you recommend for myself,Mirage or Earthquake 10e?Of course Id like to have the bigger motor )))))

well, its a toss up....
the 8e's sometimes have trouble with the diffs. Shimming them cures that issue, but means you gotta get your hands dirty. there are vids on youtube showing how to shim them, and redcat has a shim kit for nitros that has all the bits needed to do the job.
The 8e is a power house. The wheely bar upgrade is truly needed. Big tires, big shocks, big truck.
Only other down side is having to run 2 batteries.

The mirage is very fast. Stock with stock battery its as fast as the 8e (even tho it runs on 3s and not 4s like the 8e) but if you pop in a 4s the speed jumps to just shy of 60mph. It looks really good, more of a scale rc.
The downside I had, and I hope redcat has fixed this with newer models, the plastic used on the arms and suspension pin holders was brittle. Other than that, its very tough. I had not driveline or any other issues. I bought one when they 1st came out, and I told redcat about my problems.
The plastic was such that it seemed to build up small fractures. I say that cause there were crashes I was sure it would break and it didn't....then there were small jumps where it landed just a little off and a arm would snap!
I have vids of my mirage on my youtube.

I liked driving the 2 equally. The 8e is probly a better basher.
You can also try the backdraft or aftershock 8e. Because they both have smaller and narrower tires, they will put less strain on the diffs. I had a backdraft for alittle while and didn't experience any diff issues. wish I had kept the backdraft really.

If I had the $300 right now, Id probly go for the aftershock 8e, I like 1/10 short course truck and the aftershock will do 45mph as well as handle jumps well. Its in between the earthquake and backdraft....meaning it will do almost as well offroad as the earthquake but handle almost as well as the backdraft.