Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

S-bus installation in Jets using non S-Bus servos

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

S-bus installation in Jets using non S-Bus servos

Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S-bus installation in Jets using non S-Bus servos

Dany,
1 channel for retracts 1 or 2 for doors(y), depending on how many doors. If I understand your question, you're asking if some doors would open while others close (i.e. P51 style doors) this can be done, but you'll have to use some logic switches in the 18 and definitely 3 channels. Hope I'm making sense here.
Keith
Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keith,

You are indeed making sense, but wouldn't it also need more "channels" if you also have to electronically fine tune travel of each servo of each door? For instance on the large F-15 you have a total of 7/8 doors (3 x2 for the mains and 2 up front out of which 1 is already attached to nose leg).
it make things a little more trickier to achieve using servos I guess unless I am missing something here....

Regards,
Dany
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Dany,
You're right. I didn't realize we're talking 7/8 doors. Air cylinders would be a better(lighter) choice with something like a UP6(think this is the right one) valve or electronic sequencer.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a sequencer. a combination of simple airvalves and 2 mixes in the radio will sequence the doors and gear.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

I think several of you may be interested in the new Powerbox Powerbus system. Fully compatible with S-bus servos as standard and regular servos using a decoder box. Big difference is it using large cross section cable and MPX plugs for connections allowing much higher amps to be carried without worry.

I will see if I can post the manual for you..
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 AM
extra 300

Schroedm,

This looks interesting. hope you are able to post additional information.

Regards,
Dany
Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schroedm
Guys,
I think several of you may be interested in the new Powerbox Powerbus system. Fully compatible with S-bus servos as standard and regular servos using a decoder box. Big difference is it using large cross section cable and MPX plugs for connections allowing much higher amps to be carried without worry.
This is very interesting.......

A guy in my club did a S-Bus installation in a plane following the instructions 100%, and the result was a disaster. The power oscillation was huge and that was also affecting the turbine. He ended up doing a normal install.

I've always wondered why Futaba in the US offers something very different to what is being offered in Europe. In Europe they offer different cables and even a battery backer that can supply a steady voltage EMCOTEC embedded controller technologies GmbH - Robbe/Futaba | S.Bus | S.Bus battery backer PSS 2018

Tons of different elements for an S-Bus install in that store but at the same time, it defeats the point of having a very simple system with S-Bus.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 AM
schroedm

Guys,

take a look at the manual here...

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/view.as...80&app=WordPdf

Rgds,
Mark
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Guys

I'll be setting up two jets with SBus Futaba servos PowerBus with a Royal SRS. You can of course use ordinary PWM servos with the conversion box from PB. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and the set up vids.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...t-up-vids.html

Cheers, Alex
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 AM
extra 300

Originally Posted by schroedm
Guys,

take a look at the manual here...

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/view.as...80&app=WordPdf

Rgds,
Mark
Mark.

If i understand correctly, you still have to use a powerbox unit (Royal ,Competition etc...) along with the PowerBus unit(s) correct??

Regards,
Dany
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 AM
schroedm

Correct. Either the new Royal SRS with the integrated iGyro or the Champion SRS without the iGyro. Both superb products with multiple benefits on top of just allowing you to use the powerbus concept.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM
extra 300

Mark,

Thanks. I was not able to find the powerBus products on PowerBox Systems site. Any idea where to find same to get an idea on the prices etc...

Regards,
Dany
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 AM
schroedm

Dany,

Not officially released yet (not long though) but the splitter boxes will be 40-45EUR depending upon the type (ie straight S-BUS or with PWM decoder) and Powerbus leads start from around 12EUR.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 AM
extra 300

Great Thanks. Can't wait!!!

Regards,
Dany
Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
leider
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
This is very interesting.......

A guy in my club did a S-Bus installation in a plane following the instructions 100%, and the result was a disaster. The power oscillation was huge and that was also affecting the turbine. He ended up doing a normal install.

I've always wondered why Futaba in the US offers something very different to what is being offered in Europe. In Europe they offer different cables and even a battery backer that can supply a steady voltage EMCOTEC embedded controller technologies GmbH - Robbe/Futaba | S.Bus | S.Bus battery backer PSS 2018

Tons of different elements for an S-Bus install in that store but at the same time, it defeats the point of having a very simple system with S-Bus.

Hi, let me confirm Gonzalo38 quote, I'm the guy he is refering to.

The S Bus installation was done by the book with USA Futaba components and S Bus servos in a Sunshine Me163 Komet powered by a Jet Central Rhino, because of the Komet simplicity, only three servos really operate in flight and the fact that there was no servo behind the plane CG , meaning very short cables, seemed to be an ideal plataform for S Bus, 2 x 2300 Duralite LiFe where used for power.

Six flights, six times turbine stopped..... always at random times in flight.

To make a long story short with turbine energised, but not running, rpm reading = 000000 , when aileron elevator Tx stick was moved in circles after a few moments and randomly, the rpm reading start showing .... readings.... :-(

A power box cockpit was fitted and never had the rpm sensor had erratic readings again.

My experience to share.

Daniel
Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if a battery can be plugged into one of the decoder leads? Or is a hub required, then decoder to one slot & batt to another?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 PM
stevekott

I think you will be fine doing that. Everything I've ever done with the S.Bus the Black and Red Wires are all common, +V and Ground.

Steve
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Steve.. Fun stuff
I'm thinking hub, with a redundant batt & decoder into that. From what I understand, I can't go wrong that way.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM
FenderBean

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

After trying stand alone Sbus, Powerbox and now Robbe battery backer, the Robbe is so easy to use and very robust. I have done some videos on it with my f-15