Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

skymaster F-14 question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

skymaster F-14 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 PM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default skymaster F-14 question

Have a question on skymaster F -14 . Has it been released to the modeler yet. Also understand they are using two motors for wing sweep. I have seen the video of the prototype taking off with wings swept or regular postion. My question is , if using seperate motors for wing sweep. How do they compensate if one side fails.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: skymaster F-14 question

I know you can order one now and they are producing planes in various schemes
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there's even a video out there circulating that has it flying with one wing swept and the other wing forward. Someone will chime in and find it...

Never mind. Just found it. Was a banana hobby one
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: arizcowboy

Have a question on skymaster F -14 . Has it been released to the modeler yet. Also understand they are using two motors for wing sweep. I have seen the video of the prototype taking off with wings swept or regular postion. My question is , if using seperate motors for wing sweep. How do they compensate if one side fails.
The FEJ works on one motor keeping both wings the same, if it fails it just stays in that position. Are there also two separate controllers? Would you be able to bring the wing back to thw others position or is it all or nothing?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
arizcowboy

That's what I was wondering , maybe Anton will chime in and explain why two actuator's instead of one ? Was there a concern on their part .
Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

That's what I was wondering , maybe Anton will chime in and explain why two actuator's instead of one ? Was there a concern on their part .
You cant have a single actuator and a continous carry through spar in the fuselage. If you so a setup like Fej, you put a huge hole in one of the most critical parts of the airplane.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
arizcowboy

Is there a picture somewhere on their set up , looked on their web site , shows everything but the actuator system . Does anyone have one that they can share . Thanks Terry
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 AM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a picture somewhere on their set up , looked on their web site , shows everything but the actuator system . Does anyone have one that they can share . Thanks Terry
Check out B1Bobs build, I think it shows the system and I have seen it first hand - very well built and if recall, there has never been a problem with that structure. Maybe the other guy saying it creates weakness can enlighten me with fact.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: rbean2

Check out B1Bobs build, I think it shows the system and I have seen it first hand - very well built and if recall, there has never been a problem with that structure. Maybe the other guy saying it creates weakness can enlighten me with fact.

Look at any video of a FEJ F14 before takeoff and during flight. There is no dihedral in the wings on the ground, but there is in flight. Something is flexing allowing it to gain that dihedral.

It might be "ok" but none of those airplanes (other than DubD's) has ever really been flown aggressively, and look how his FEJ tomcat turned out.

Until someone actually flies it like a fighter jet, i doubt the weakness' will ever mature to failures.

Which is exactly the reason i am spending the time and money on my own F14 instead of wasting it on some arf.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 AM
invertmast

There are pictures of skymasters fuselage and wing internal structures, along with the sweep actuators in the skymaster F14 thread in this forum.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Just so you know Jim's f-14 swing wing design is his own and both are very strong.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim's swing wing system is awesome. The FEJ swing wing system requires a lot of maintenance. Binding, burnout of the motor/capacitors, and constant lubrication of the worm gear is part of the ownership experience. With that said, it seemed strong, even with "aggressive" flying. I like the simplicity of the Skymaster swing wing system. Only time will tell if it will hold up to aggressive flying.