Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

RCV 91CD Cylinder Bearing removal

Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM
bunsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV 91CD Cylinder Bearing removal

I have a RCV 91CD that I need to remove the Cylinderbearingto re-work the exhaust port due to crash damage where the muffler was pulled off.

I have the rotating cylinder out and was looking at the best way to remove the bearing without damaging the cylinder walls. I have the circlip removed and heated up the body but there is not much to catch on to pop out the bearing from the top side. Tried using a wood dowel with an edge without success

Appreciate any suggestions on how to best do this as I very much like the engine.

ray
Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RCV 91CD Cylinder Bearing removal

I think you will need to use a "blind hole bearing puller"  to remove the bearing. But you'll need to replace the bearing if it comes out hard as the ball races could get dimpled in the process.  Depending on how large the bearing is, you could use a automotive blind bearing tool with the slide hammer. You can buy a set but you could make one yourself if you have a lathe etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html
Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 PM
bunsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

What I wound up doing is:
1. THere is a narrow slot above the bearing such that I could insert a couple 0.020 brass strips that provided a place for a wood dowel to push against after I heated up the case with a torch. Was able to pop out the bearing.

2. To put the bearing back in cut a round disk from 1/4 inch ply and used this to push against to pop the bearing back in after heating up the case. Had to heat up the case fairly hot but it is back in and does not appear to be damaged.

3. Will run the engine this weekend and see if it is OK.

Ray
Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. Yeah it can be a hassle sometimes figuring out a way to do something. Nice you found a way to do it.
Do let us know how it goes. I think that the RCV engines are pretty neat. I have two .58 CD's and a .91 CD RCV engines myself. But I haven't had to replace any bearings or anything on them yet. Although with the horizonally split crankcase the crankshaft bearings shouldn't be a problem.