Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Prerotator devices

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Prerotator devices

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM
floridagyro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prerotator devices

Hi Mark,

I think you guys have worked hard and developed some great gyros and certainly helped the autogyro community. I like the swashplate control and the pre-rotor but it's certainly not necessary for all autogyros and I don't plan on putting it on all of mine. I just enjoy all of the different designs and concepts. The swashplate control is just another concept and it works very well, but is it necessary, not really anymore than the pre-rotator.

I view this forum as a place to share our common interest and ideas and promote the autogyro community which we all enjoy. Not everybody has the same likes and dislikes and that's what makes this hobby interesting. Can you imagine if we all had a PTGyro, blue and yellow, and that was it.

Check out this video: http://www.auav.net/sh/ptgyro.html

And Joel, you really surprised me. Must be a bad day, we all have them. Anyhow you have no idea how envious I have been of you guys in the Fall at you gyro meet. If it were possible I would be there. I always bug Jim to take lots of pictures so that I can see them. Each year I try and figure out how I can get there. Sorry if I said anything to offend you. I've seen your video, you fly much better than me, and I hope we can get together some day.

Phil
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM
C-124 Flt Engr

Micky-
About full scale pre-rotate and jump takeoff: Don't overlook the Umbaugh U-18. I worked on the drafting board and was involved until Type Certification around 1960. It was my only, and no doubt the last, full scale Autogyro ride!
Ron
Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
mnowell129

ORIGINAL: C-124 Flt Engr

Micky-
About full scale pre-rotate and jump takeoff: Don't overlook the Umbaugh U-18. I worked on the drafting board and was involved until Type Certification around 1960. It was my only, and no doubt the last, full scale Autogyro ride!
Ron
Thanks. I knew there were others, like the Pegasus, just couldn't recall in the heat of the moment.
I was just trying to make the point that the need for pre-rotation wasn't simply my idea but
was fairly obvious to almost every autogyro designer.
Didn't the the U-18 turn into some other name?

Check out the pegasus. I wonder if they'll ever make some more....
http://www.pegasusrotorcraft.com/
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 AM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Joel, Mickey ad Phil and others.

Boys Boys Boys, I have PT's, G3PO's, Begi's, Gt17's Whistlers in 3 sizes and they all fly good, mostly because of the SC6042 blades that Bill F. came up with.and Mike S. started making. I have flown and observed Mickey's pre-rotater from day one and we both just gigled a little at first and said man thats neet. All of his designs are electric and you would not want to taxi to much to take off.
As I have said on here before if you are trying to sell a product at an Autogyro event make sure it will be able to fly and turn left and right and take off and land without crashing. We all know that the PT's and Mickey's design to that well.
Now for Morris, IL. I am sure Mickey can't get there but would be nice and maybe the Northern bunch would get to see first hand. That may leave me to bring mind for all to see again. I am not the flyer that Mickey is with his designs but will get in some practice. I seem to be the only one that attends the Spring Hill and the Morris Autogyro meets. I don't fly Heli's either other that the 2 rotor toys.

Jim at Sun n Fun Fly-in
Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
mnowell129

Here's my pre-rotator wiring diagram in anyone is interested.
Might save some headscratching if you are experimenting.
see you at SEFF
mickey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11169.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	668119  
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Phil and Mickey,

I won't roll in the mud with you two any more. It's obvious we have a different opinion that will not be changed. Perhaps the two of you will show up at one of our yearly Fly-ins and demonstrate your superior flying machines for all to see. Until then I'll have to keep my opinion.

They say you should never roll in the mud with a pig, because the pig likes it.

See you in September

Joel

LOL!!!! Joel....you are the man!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
ciervapilot

I built the "DC Gyro" of Emilio Cabezas last year. It flew very well but the take off ceremonial (particularly in no wind conditions) didn't please me.
So I started to search for a practical prerotator solution and finally found it!
A Speed 400 7,2 V is turning the rotor axis by a one way bearing. The gear ratio is 1:18. As electric source I use a Kokam lipoly 2s1p with 350 mAh capacity. With a switch at my transmitter I can change throttle to the prerotator controller and spin up the rotor. The Speed 400 is really strong enough (the current doesn't exceed 6 amps).
Take off is now fantastic. Even in no wind condition the run is less than 20 feet. Take off is very secure (no roll tendency) and easygoing!
The flight performance hasn't changed despite the higher weight of the electric motor and the lipoly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69979.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	698176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23177.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	698177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31547.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	698178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80252.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	698179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37414.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	698180  
Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
imsofaman

Awesome....it does not get any easier than that!!!! Great job!!!! Now....I wonder if certain people[X(] will want to take credit for THIS one too!!!! LOL!!!

I do have a question. Do you the flight mode switch and spool up the rotors slowly? Soft start on the ESC?

Once again...great job! I would really like to see some video at some point. Take care....

Dave
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM
ottogiro58

Excellent job on the prerotator !!! Looks great. Please post some video if you get a chance. Keep up the good work !!! Charlie Anderson
Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
ciervapilot

Hi Dave!
I use the heli program on my transmitter. When I use the switch the program changes to the autorotation mode (throttle at idle, pitch control with the throttle stick). I just connected the ESC of the Speed 400 to the pitch output of my receiver (channel 6) and now I can slowly bring the rotor up to speed by pushing the throttle stick forward. When maximum rpms are achieved I switch over to normal mode and now I can control throttle with the stick (the pitch curve is set to zero at this mode). Just works fine! The ESC soft start is not needed.

Perhaps I can persuade someone in my club to make a video of the prerotation and the take off. I personally don't have a camcorder!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:07 PM
imsofaman

OK....got it! Thanks so much!!!!!

Dave
Old 07-02-2013, 03:15 AM
austinyang

Hiciervapilot
Thanks for your posts, the one last question, how can we contral the two motors with only on throttle stick, do we have to couple some channels to make them work respectively.
Thanks cheers
Austin Yang
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Nice to see that the Hobby King AutoG 2 now comes with a pre-rotator, there is even a "kit" to retrofit the older AutoG model.