Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM
tc-62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

I dont know if my previous post went though. However , I'll bet your grandad provided for his family and his self , not taking or receiving anything that was not earned. That's not being cheep , that's being independent and self reliant. my grand parents were the same way reguarding there way of life. They did'nt have food stamps or public assistance. Living in Gunnison Colorado ,they would shoot wild game and fish to have there food. Please don't think of your Grandpa as "cheep" .
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is supposed to be light hearted thread poking fun at people doing things on the cheap...

There is nothing wrong with being resourceful... it is funny at times. Sit back and learn a thing or three Sonny.

do not make this a political discussion. Take that elsewhere... plenty of places to argue.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
mustangman177

I've been flying SPADS for about 10 years now ? Now there's a cheap but well built plane. 4-5$ and you got a good flying plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...6memid%3D16901
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
fgdsfg

Reading these posts makes me want to have that kind of experience, thanks for sharing this. 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
417mack

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

This is supposed to be light hearted thread poking fun at people doing things on the cheap...

There is nothing wrong with being resourceful... it is funny at times. Sit back and learn a thing or three Sonny.

do not make this a political discussion. Take that elsewhere... plenty of places to argue.

I smile with pride every time someone accuses me of being cheap it is a nice thing to make someones trash usable. "one mans trash is another's glory". Now if only I could figgure how to reuse the oil I clean off my planes so I could write about it.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Scrubmonkey

i have only written off one plane, i stripped it of torque rods, hinges, snakes, and even the two wing tips (all that was left of the wing after the crash except for the centre section) to use. as i bought another of the exact plane that night. i have three tackle boxes of parts, i make it a habit that when it is too windy to fly i look for the planes that have come down in the trees.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then there are the fakes and frauds too. A guy at the field who always cries poverty, everything is so expensive, etc.... and is always the first to try and get the "give-away" planes after a crash. Would knock down and run over the handicapped guy just to get a busted plane or a great deal.
. Then you see them at the LHS or flea market/show peeling off  bills buying stuff. []
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

I love being cheap.

I refuse to buy a new prop, when I can get them at swap meets for pennies on the dollar.

Same goes for wheels, hardware, and sometimes planes, too. I have resurrected many planes that others thought were useless, and have enjoyed flying them for years.

Just because it is used, has some age, doesn't make it useless. On the contrary, sometimes it's better, compared to what is being made and sold these days!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I crashed one of my freebie foam ducted jet arfs this week. It was so bad all it took to field strip the carcass was the wind blowing across it, all the popcorn blew off leaving the hardware and electronics right out in the open.. Good thing I had purchased the exact same foam airframe on clearance for 30 dollars last year ! so I guess I am still beating the system !
hahahhahhahah
Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 AM
on_your_six

I am happy to report that several of the local airplane recyclers (COBs) are now using battery driven screwdrivers.... it seems that they can now field strip an airplane in under 10 minutes.

They don't have to use any arthritis, or pain meds. Visits to the doc for carpal tunnel (airplane strip wrist) syndrome have been reduced.

Only downfall is that they have more time to tell us about the old days.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice bump there ON YOUR SIX !

IN THE OLD DAYS i used to get some sweet crashed birds. Either nobody crashes around here or I get there after the foam blows away ! Actually a good friend had a small under designed SE5a that folded its wings this week and went into a MUDDY field. In fact it was so muddy not even the vultures have touched the one wing panel in the wettest part of the field. There was NO retrieving it, it was like quick sand out there.

And by vultures I mean me, or the flying type ! hahahahhahahha
Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
on_your_six

Yeah... I was busy shop stripping a carcass this morning... and wondered what the world's cheapest RC pilot would do..and did the same. Had to recharge mid carcass.
If I was any good at this, I would have had a backup battery powered screwdriver... I would have missed out at the field side by side with one of those beak nosed vultures. LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 AM
dwtomblin

This plane was purchased as is for $50 dollars after the wing broke midair.

The wing was repaired by carefully blocking it up on a saw table and removing the broken spar.

New tail feathers, four new wing ribs, a new wing spar some new sheeting and monokote and we have this.

I don't think I can compete as the cheapest RC pilot, but I can get some good results at being thrifty.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks beautiful now....Great job!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
mustangman177

Good Job !!!!! I bet it flys as good as it looks
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM
dwtomblin

Thank you for your kind replies. Now for the cheep part, it was a gift to my wife who also flies. It is her favorite plane right now. One of our current projects is a giant scale Fiat G.55 but that’s a subject for a different forum. This will eat your heart out, the gal I married likes to build and fly RC aircraft.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
mustangman177

ORIGINAL: dwtomblin

TThis will eat your heart out, the gal I married likes to build and fly RC aircraft. [img][/img]

You are blessed
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM
nyflyer56

My former GF once complined about my RC hobby addiction. I asked if she would rather have me take up the same hobbies as her ex-hubby... Drinking and whoring around..... No further complaints after that....

I too have been known to recycle crashed planes and parts. I hunt swap meets for deals whenever possible as well. I am particulary fond of the odd Box-O-Crap found at some swaps/auctions. Usually a bid of a few bucks nets me a box of interesting, sometimes great stuff.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM
on_your_six

Could be a WORLD RECORD

I got 53 uses of a Star Bucks Coffee Stir Stick while mixing epoxy this morning.... if not a world record it should rank right up there.

Too cheap to spend the gas to go back and procure more stir sticks.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a friend that paid $20 something for a jig to resharpen exacto blades when they get dull.

Dennis
Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
turok007

this could be called cheap. a fellow pilot paid out $$$$$$$$ on a new jet + top spec turbine all the best radio gear. then got the cheapest lipo to power the plane. lol
Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
I have a friend that paid $20 something for a jig to resharpen exacto blades when they get dull.

Dennis
Heck I have a old box of exacto blades and a newer box and there FAR from the same quality from the edge right down to the steel there made from, So he actually paid for a jig to reshape pen them lol I have a very fine India stone and just use that, Keeps them going much longer and keeps them very sharp, The newer ones won't hold a edge nearly as long as the old ones so I just reshape pen the old ones.

Dauntae
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 AM
on_your_six

I have found that I can use a sandpaper nail file to sharpen the blades. I never buy blades.... why? I do wish that I had a stone to do it properly, but then I would not remember where I used it last and where it is.

Old joke... old rancher was asked where to find his barbed wire staple puller, South property, two posts past the water hole and tree. That is where I used it last.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM
on_your_six

What happened? This thread deserves new life. Since 2013, I purchased a fine stone to sharpen my knives... and also my exacto blades.

Cheapest pilot in the entire world still lives and breathes at our field. He has a buddy in cheapness now. Is it possible to build a plane for under a dollar in parts. The world may never know, but he is trying... very trying.

If the radio is suspected faulty... keep flying until proven suspect, then fly it some more.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea! I am pretty thrifty. I used this transmitter on six planes over way too many years. Last week the plastic on the trim tabs just gave up the ghost but I hate to retire the thing! It has been a reliable radio, but that plastic wear out will happen! So..... A little modification and it might live another five years!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_164402.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2228881  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.