Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

VXL 3s repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 AM
Saxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VXL 3s repair

Hello all,
I am fairly new to the hobby and I am looking for some assistance and advice. Yesterday I was trying to disconnect the white wire from my VXL-3s ESC and the entire connector came off while still attached to the wire. This ESC has only had about 6 2s battery packs run through it so I was quite suprised to have a problem like this. I am not excited about the spending $60 th have Traxxas repair the unit, especially if I am going to have more problems like this. I have attached pictures of the damage to this post. Does this look like it is something that would be repairable or should I just send it in to Traxxas for a replacement.

Thanks,

P.S. The picture of the bullet connector is reversed in the picture. I just placed it in that way so I could take a picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18281.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	1905527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56926.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	1905528  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: VXL 3s repair

Hey Saxy,
I think you may have to send it in.  It's kind of hard to tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like it is a surface-mount connector.  Unless you have special tools for that type of soldering, it would be extremely difficult to try and solder that connector back on to the circuit board with a typical soldering iron, and get it to stay, unless you REALLY knew what you were doing.  I've had lots of experience working on motherboards with surface-mount components, and you really need special tools.  

How did it happen to come off?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: VXL 3s repair

wow, don't know where you got that esc but traxxas stopped that design plug a few years back.

Traxxas knows that was a bad setup. If you send it to them they will most likely replace it for free.

I had one, tried to solder the plug back on, gave up and sent it to traxxas and they replaced it for free even tho I didn't have a receipt.

The design was flawed, as even normal heat would cause the joint to be weak....and then its a point that got stress any time the wires got bumped or moved or unplugged.