Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Stampede VXL motor upgrade?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 AM
cobalt7625

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Stampede VXL motor upgrade?

Hi

I am a grad student doing a robotics project. I am developing an autonomous high-speed robot and using the Traxxas Stampede VXL (2WD) as my base platform.

I've added my electronics and extra sensors and have increased the weight quite a bit to ~5kg. In light of this, I changed to a 3S lipo and lowered the gear ratio to a 16/90 combination.

The problem is my speed has dropped to about ~16 mph. I would like to increase that if possible to about 20 -25 mph. Also, I am testing on grass.

Can anyone suggest a more powerful brushless motor which will work with my car? Will I need a new ESC as well?I would like something which is a drop in replacement with minimum modifications to the car.

I've seen these:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m26-car-3650-2950.html

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...listic_motors/

Will they work?

Thanks in advance,

Amir

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Stampede VXL motor upgrade?

what are the temps on the ESC and motor? If your motor is not getting hotter than 170 than you can gear up some.
If it is getting that hot or hotter, then you will need to get a motor with more torque....probly a 4 pole motor.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Stampede VXL motor upgrade?

IMO, that Tacon motor would be too small.  The Novak would be a better choice of those two.

If ya don't know, brushless motors have quite a bit of variation in speed and torque, depending on the motor specs.  You've increased the vehicle weight considerably, so you're going to need a big motor, probably one in the "550" can-size.  These are typically used in 1/8th-scale RCs like the big race buggies.  So shop those.  Then, there is the "KV" rating.  This refers to the motor's RPM-per-Volt.  The higher the KV, the faster the motor spins.  Note, however, that the higher the KV, the lower the torque.  So it's a balancing act to get the torque you need with the top speed you want. This is done with gearing and battery choice.  Typically, the eigth-scale buggies choose a motor in the 2200-2860KV range, and run either two 2S LiPo packs or two 3S packs wired in series to get the higher voltage needed to spin that 2200KV motor fast enough to race.

There are tons of specs and nomenclature to describe brushless motors, so it can be kind of mind-bending to compare one to another, unless you get familiar with them.  So do some research and choose wisely.  Also, get an infra-red temperature gun to monitor your motor temps.  Brushless motors will run happily up to around 160F (some say 180F), but anything over 180 risks damaging the motor by over-heating the magnets and/or melting the windings' insulation.