Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig wonder engine choice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig wonder engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:43 PM
leroifort

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig wonder engine choice

First excuse my poor english I am overseas modeler

I am curently building a Sig wonder, and I feel that this funy stuff could be outrageously ovepowered (much more than the .19 suggested in the manual)

What do you think about it folks?
Old 11-29-2002, 02:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a .25 in mine and it's a rocket!
Old 11-29-2002, 04:24 PM
TerrellFlyer

I put a OS 25 FX in one of mine,while doing a tight loop the wing hold downs broke,the others have OS LA .15 and .25,both fly very good the .25 is the fastest,the .15 is the most nimble.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:22 AM
Dsegal

I have an OS.15LA engine in my extended fuselage Wonder and it is a blast to fly. Adding a larger engine will raise the wing loading and reduce its maneuverability.

Dave Segal
Old 11-30-2002, 11:58 AM
leroifort

After sleeping one night on it, I think i will install a .25
I will reinforce the wing hold down block with triangular stocks, install shear webs and reduce the weight by instaling micros servos and making some lightnings holes in the verticals fins and the stabiliser. if my stabiliser look weak i will reinforce it with carbon fiber spars.
I plan also to install most of the radio elements in the back of the fuselage and make a bigger acces hatch to compensate the weight of the big engine and the weight reduction of the tail group.

that's the job i made in my dreams last night.

Any suggestion welcome
Old 11-30-2002, 03:14 PM
Dsegal

> making some lightnings holes in the verticals fins and the stabiliser. <

Do not waste your time with these holes. If you are using a .25 engine you will be adding about 100 grams to the weight of the engine and I doubt if the holes will add up to more than a few grams. Do reinforce the joint between the vertical rudders and the horizontal tail with some triangular balsa stock as they are easily broken.

Dave Segal
Old 11-30-2002, 03:38 PM
leroifort

59 grams weight diference between 0s .15 and os .25LA
Old 12-02-2002, 01:00 AM
fenderjw
My Feedback: (83)

Default WAAAAAAYYYY Overpowered

I've got a Magnum XL 36 on mine. Its swinging a MA 9x7 Scimitar prop at ~13K rpm. To say the least, its FAAAASST. Its not the most maneuverable plane at the field, but those 200mph low passes down the middle of the runway are neat! :stupid:

The engine is relatively heavy, but by placing the elevator servo and a 270mah nicad at the rear of the plane, it still balanced right on the reccomended CG point.

Enjoy, its a fun little plane.

Jim

P.S. Make *#$!& sure that the bottom and top of the plane are distinctly different colors. On my first one, I thought the stripes that I had on the top would be enough to help orient it. I was wrong.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
leroifort

mmmmmm

with a magnum 36, a low pitch prop and modified tails you should be able to make a vertical take off, plane resting on his tails on ground... I didn't finish the building of my first wonder yet that i am already thinking to the second one.........
Could be funy in the next club show to see a litlle evill jumping out of a big cardboard box lolllllllllllllll
Old 12-02-2002, 09:55 PM
BeauMiller
My Feedback: (18)

My buddy uses a TT .36 pro in his! It definitely goes fast. He had some flutter problems initially though. Way to squirely for me.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:20 AM
leroifort

what about to add two wing ribs on a .36 version in order to lower the wingload?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

why not just put a fresh .15 like a OS or TT and not have any problems with balance building it stock? From what I'm reading, it flies fine with a .15.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:50 PM
maherrpca

Default RE: Sig wonder engine choice

Hi,
I fly my Wonder with a Magnum .15, swinging a 7x5 prop and it's a blast. You cant go wrong with this little guy and for 40 bucks Yahoo. My cg is at 2 11/16inches . Its alittle further back than they recomend but well worth it. This plane will not stall where my cg is.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default RE: Sig wonder engine choice

If you want a rocket ship, then by all means put the larger engine on it. But be aware that the model is designed to fly at a weight of two pounds. Get it heavier, and it doesn't fly as well with the higher wing loading. Also, the plane must be landed dead-stick. The heavier it gets, the less well it glides.

The one pictured below has an OS 15FP and weighs 34 ounces wet. It is PLENTY fast, yet very docile when slowed down. It floats very well, which can be important if you find yourself in a bad spot when the engine runs out of fuel or otherwise stops running.

Unless you are building a racer, or something just to go insanely fast, IMO putting a larger engine on this little jewel is foolish.

But lots of folks do it...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33742.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	65189