Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

hanger -9 P-51

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger -9 P-51

I recently began flying my Hanger -9 P-51. About 12 flights now. As per the article in the May 2003 RC Modler Magazine by Jim Peterson the plane flies great. I powered it with the Saitio 100 and its a perfect power match. I'm not happy with the landing gear. I fly on grass and the gear is to flexible. I know where to het 3/16 struts but not sure what to do about the axle. Anyone have suggestions
TX
K.O.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:52 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: hanger -9 P-51

I bent axles in my 3/16" struts for the H-9 P-51. Heat them with a torch and they bend easily, then re-temper them by heating and letting them cool slowly.

quint
Old 09-23-2003, 09:17 PM
K.O.

Hi Quint
Thanks for your reply. When i called Central Hobbies about their 3/16 gear struts they told me they were only 7" long from the coil. That was not enough wire to bend an axle. Where did you get your axles and what brand are they.
TX
K.O.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:11 AM
quint-rcu

My local Hobby Shop carries 36" lengths of piano wire, so it was easy to cut two pieces and bend them. Remember to grind a flat on them where the set screws are to prevent rotation.

No need for a coil and in fact it makes a flush fit of the strut covers to the wing when the gear is retracted.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:06 PM
K.O.

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a try.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:08 PM
K.O.

Thanks K.O.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:14 PM
FLYBY12
My Feedback: (14)

Hi!! Im in the process of building my p51 and I read a lot about the gear , I dont seem to see any problem with them. Is there something I should do before my first flight? thanks.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:50 PM
K.O.

Flyby12

Depending on the surface and how good a pilot you are will depend on how the stock strut stands up. I fly on grass and had a couple nose over landings i.e. harder than they should have been but those things will and do happen. The stock gear will not hold up. I replaced them with the 3/16 titanium gear from Central Hobbies for about $20. I don't think they are the total answer but it is a big improvement. I've been away fro the hobby for 40 years and just getting back into it again. This winter I may look into the Robarts.
Hope this is of some help.
K.O.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Robart 605 heavy duty pneumatic retracts will solve the gear problem permanently. They worked great on my Hangar 9 P-51.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:12 PM
stupidfast43

I just changed out my noddle wires that came on the plane with 3/16 wire from my local hobby store and now the plane is perfect. I made 3 perfect landings with the stock gear on it and it wouldn't even go back into the wheel wells so it is something that needs to be changed. Other than the landing gear the plane is cool as hell!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:45 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

Hi guys, I just finished my H-9 Mustang also but I still haven't decided on which way to fuel it up. I installed a Saito 100 and obviously all the lines are in the cowl. What did you fellas use, dots? plunger type fuelers? I'm up for suggestions.
Also what about safety remote glow igniters? Anybody use them and where did you install it? Thanks
Old 11-04-2003, 09:29 PM
K.O.

Hello hy flyr

You made a good choice installing the Saito 100. Its a perfect fit and all the power you'll need. My plane can go verticle till out of sight if I let it. I am by far from being a good pilot and I still have my anxious moments when landing my P-51. But I'm getting better. Since my 1st flight about 2 monts ago I have about 30 flight on it.
As for fueling I installed a Greatplanes Easy Fueler filling valve and mounted on the right side of the fuseledge aft the cowl (in the tank compartment) and half way up the side at the end of the Marie decal. It works fine and is obscure.
I used DuBro's remote safety glo plug ingniter Stock number DUBP1201 as my remote glo plug igniter. I mounted the external plate on the bottom of the fuselage off to the right side (for easy access) and 1" behind the firewall. It works great.
You've heard a lot of discussion in regards to the landing gear and they're all true. They are not strong enough. I changed them out for 3/16 which was an improvement but still not the answer. I just orderd 3/8 Robo struts and I'll see how they work. This is my 1st experience with retracts, but I'm learning.
One last thing. I highly recommend you add some reinforcing to the back of the firewall and epoxy the tank compartment. Over all the workman ship was pretty good on mine but an once of prevention!!!
Good luck
K.O.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:03 PM
hy flyr

Thanks K.O.
I'll take your advice. Love the pictures with the flaps! I'd like to find out how to make the canopy slide open scale like but I should probley ask on another post.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:39 PM
hy flyr

I balanced my p-51 today and it was pretty nose heavy. it took about 3 oz. to level it out. It has a Saito 100 on it. How did any others out there balance out? K.O.? How about yours?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:02 AM
quint-rcu

I used an on-board glow driver and a scale cockpit interior which called for relocating the battery pack behind the cockpit for a proper balance. In addition to this I offer the following:[ul][*] The invasion stripes on the .90 sized bird are not scale, BUT they are very, very easy to remove. Just peel them off starting at the leading edge and replace them with the dark yellow Ultracote stripes as shown on the 1.50 sized bird.[*] Add machine guns by drilling into the leading edge and gluing in some 1/4" dowell pieces which are then drilled out and inserted with alum. or brass tubing. Paint them black and voila![*] Place a thin plywood shim under the trailing edge of the retracts to tilt the struts forward when deployed. It will prevent most 'nose overs'. If there is a problem with the wheels fitting flush when in the retracted position after this mod, you can make a relief cut in the plastic wheel well liners about 3/4 of the way around so that the bottom will be pushed in by the wheels when up and then spring back closed when the gear lowers.[/ul]

quint
Old 05-13-2004, 10:47 PM
K.O.

Hello Hy Flyer

I wrapped my battery pac in foam and stuffed it behind the last former in the tail section. Once past the former the foam opened up enough to keep the battery in place. Since there are no control push rods to interfer it worked out perfectly. The big plus is I didn't have to add unecessary weight. My gear is still a a problem and I might still install Robart air retracts. The plane is a great flyer but I spend 10 minutes in the air and 60 minutes fiddeling around with the gear. I have to fly on a grass run way and I know that adds to the stress on the gear. I have about 75 flights on mine. Good luck
K.o.