Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Solar Flares, Don't fly

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 04:20 PM
hardlanding7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solar Flares, Don't fly

i think ya'll are all really paranoid... but that's just my opinion
Old 10-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Cajun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see this thread before going flying yesterday. Took the trusty old SpadBipe out to practice my hand at flying a couple of new maneuvers. All turned out OK until I tried the Pinwheel...Holy Crap...the thing is pinwheeling backwards....counterclockwise. It's impossible,,,everyone knows a pinwheel revolves clockwise. Totally Awesome. And I've never flown a pinwheel before except with my Flippin Disc.

After landing and discussing this strange phenomina we decided it had to be the solar flares. Since the sun revolves counterclockwise on it's longitudinal axis it stands to reason the flares would be gyrating in this direction also and hence the electronic impulses hitting the SpadBipe on it's upper surface while that surface was in the vertical rotation would cause it to pinwheel also in the CC rotation.

Sure wish we had gotten a video. I'm told this will probably be the last solar storm until year 3013 and I'm not sure the SpadBipe will be around by then to prove or disprove our theory[>:]

Cajun[8D]
Old 10-26-2003, 04:50 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Cajun, Maybe Nimitz can tell you if it was because of the solar flares, after all he is an amatuer astronomer. I on the other hand am only an amatuer gynocologist so my opinion on this probably doesn't cOunt.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

i don't know about that stuff but my friend just lost a plane there were 3 planes up at once and 2 got hit at the same time both were close together one was out lower and did not get hit there were some weird stuff going on that day OR it was THEM
Old 10-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Combat Addict

We may be paranoid, but it is certainly a factor to consider. It certainly seems like there were some weird things that happened this weekend.

Disclamer: I have no real knowledge of Space Physics, so don't take any of my advice to heart.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:36 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Not knowing more than enough to make myself look ignorant, I don't think it would have had much effect on such localized transmissions. GPS and communications weren't horribly disrupted, and any disruption was likely caused by their satellites not having the protection of our atmosphere.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Combat Addict

If my brain serves, which we know it doesn't, I remember that this storm is rated a 3 out of 5 which doesn't make it extreme, but moderate.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Solar flares only affect communication systems that are satelite dependent. Unless you plane is a Preditor, or some other GPS / Satelite controlled craft, you can go ahead and fly.

Flew all weekend, only hit I got was from a tree.

Scott
Old 10-27-2003, 11:17 AM
smokingcrater

anyone else have stronger weather patterns over the weekend? at least in my locale, strong solar events and weather patterns have been researched quite extensively and shown to be fairly strongly coordinated. usually strong wind accompanies the flare. (all of last week up until friday we were in the 70's, it snowed over the weekend with winds in the 30's)
Old 10-27-2003, 08:07 PM
BaronSchwab

I went flying yesterday at around 3:15 to 5:30pm. Some of the guys (including me) were getting some small hits all flying PPM. Couldn't figure out why. We normally don't get those types of hits. Now I'm not blaming any flares or anything just posting my experance.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:31 PM
nimitz

Default RE: More websites

Hey now..My opinion is like worth nothing.. I fly every wednesday that it is not windy too much to land.. We have solar flares all the time.. They run badder in a 10 yr cycle[I think,check it out]. And they`re good for a coupla years or so and then calm down somewhat..I haven`t kept up on astronomy as much as I`d like to..

radio interference can be caused by most anything at any time..

Bang two peices of metal together and you cause not only loud noise but radio waves[check it out]

Put her up in the air and if she comes back down in one peice..whoppeeeee
You`ve gained on that one..

If it don`t,go buy another and try next time..

I`ve tried to land four times and couldn`t get her down..Our instructer had to try twice before it landed..

opinions is like rearend`s in a car,everyone has got one..

happy flying,nimitz sorry for long post
Old 10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
rhakkenberg

If there is a solar flare between you and the airplane you have bigger worries than the plane.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:30 PM
jettstarblue

The only effect of the solar flares I have experienced is an extremely awesome 15 minutes of the aurora borealis, something rarely if ever seen by someone in this part of the country.

Jetts
Old 10-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Solar flares only affect communication systems that are satelite dependent.
They can affect all communications if they are strong enough. Presently they are disrupting aviation HF radio, the ones the airliners and military use. Also because the waves bounce off the ionosphere, short wave radio communication is having big problems right now. Our very short range radios are among the last to be affected.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Combat Addict

Well remember, I was just trying to pass the word along. I really don't know a lot on the subject. So don't ask me.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

The solar storm has now increased in intensity. It is at KP 9 the most extreme. You can expect to see northen lights as far south as Texas.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:38 AM
jettstarblue

SWEET! Everyone should see this at least once. Hate to say, but it's the most awesome thing I've ever seen in the sky.

Jetts
Old 10-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Combat Addict

Awesome, Have to got check that tonight.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

I crashed my brand new hopped up brushless powered ProJeti on the maiden yesterday.
I am blaming the solar flares for this.
OK....sounds fair....now, at least....I have an excuse for some of the planes I crashed....