Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding H9 T-34 Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Question Regarding H9 T-34 Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Regarding H9 T-34 Retracts

Okay, I must have missed something. In another thread where this topic was being discussed, somebody, who it seemed to me was representing themselves as a Horizon employee, made a post about these retracts being adequate if they were installed properly and "you stayed on top of them."

I asked for clarification of that comment. The poster did not respond, and now I don't see that post on the thread in question. Hmmm...

I am trying to decide whether or not to take a chance with these inexpensive mechanical retracts. A couple of people responded via PM, and apparently became annoyed with my questions and have not answered further inquiries. Fine; sorry to have bothered you.

But I would still like my questions answered. Several other folks are also interested (they PM'ed me), but I suppose I'm the one to have to throw myself on a grenade, so to speak, and post the specific questions.

I am NOT concerned about the airplane; I have looked at two different kits, and both were top-notch. What I am worried about is those $29.95 retracts not holding up. The concern is legitimate, since both the H9 P-51 and AT-6 at my club have had serious problems with their H9 retracts.

I would like to hear from those flying this model and using the retracts, and from any Horizon employees who may have previously posted on this topic.

TIA for your time...

Old 12-17-2003, 10:04 AM
a68fan

Default RE: Question Regarding H9 T-34 Retracts

I have the Horizon retracts in mine, & they work fine. Our concrete runway is old, w/ a lot of the aggregate exposed, and the small nose wheel gives the gear a real work out.. I put a larger nose wheel, 2.25", or 2.5", can't remember for sure on mine. Can't tell much difference.. Larger wheels would be a plus, but w/ out surgery it's not a viable option (IMO)..

I used 2 hitech retract servos, didn't have any trouble at all w/ installation.. You will have to bend your actuating rods to fit around the wheels, & in to the wing.. Looks like it'll never fit.. It does..

This is just my .02 worth, experience.. I'm new at this.. By no means an expert.. Hope it helps.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:36 AM
LenLee
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Steve. I've flown my H9 T-34 about a dozen times so far. I installed the Hobbico retracts in mine. (I think they were even less expensive than the Horizon retracts) A68fan is correct, getting the actuating rods installed in the wings was probably the biggest challenge. The problems I've had so far were mainly due to flying off a grass field and the small diameter nose wheel that needs to be installed. The nose wheel has a tendency to "dig in" and twist around some during taxiing. Also, when the main gear is down it has a little bit of side play in it. I was able to adust some of it out, but not all. They've seemed to work pretty well so far, but I'm not sure how well they'll hold up over a longer period of time.

Len
Old 12-17-2003, 05:17 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, thanks for the info.

I picked up the kit today.

Still looking for anyone with experience using different brands of retracts. There was a fellow in one of the past threads who said he used Robarts. I would like to know more about that.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:14 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

Steve;

I have used Century Jet and Rhom Air on various airplanes in the past and they have always worked well. The PITA factor on those mechanical retracts has always been too high for me. Yep, they're more expensive-but they look cool and work good, which suited me just fine. Since that airplane is basically a Beech Bonanza-i'd bet that you could find some nice air units.

Well, that's my .02

Ron
Old 12-23-2003, 03:08 PM
LSP972

Thanks, Ron.

Upon reflection, I've decided to bag this project. I've got the kit, but need the retracts and servos; that's another $100 at least. And if the retracts turned out to be flimsy, etc., I'd have the pinky-tail big time.

I just got over being burned by an el cheapo heli kit that I KNEW better than to buy, but did it anyway. Don't think I'll risk the same experience with a set of $29.95 retracts; and I'm not willing to invest several hundred dollars for better quality ones; at least, not in a 55" ARF.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:54 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

If you invest in a pair of Spring Air retracts you will not be sorry, they will always be a dependable set of retracts that can take punishment. If you lose pressure they simply spring down into position. We're talking about 100.00 or so for some quality gear.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Flyin4Fun

Is there a link to the spring air retracts for this plane?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-05-2004, 12:34 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Before we toss them out, we should consider how many have NO problems, how many have had SOME problems they solved and how many HATE them. Put me down for some problems solved on the P-51 and no problems whatsoever with the T-34. For as many as have been sold, the only posts here are from a few who have had problems. (Lets face it the happy ones may not be looking for advice...)

Flying off very coarse southern grass runways, the H9 gears are still working just fine.

quint
Old 01-05-2004, 12:51 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default Regarding Steve Retracts

Sounds to me like you dont want to fly the plane.
I used the Hangar 9 retracts and they work great.
I even made some outer gear doors for mine and it is super looking.

You need to finish the plane and fly it and quit hand wringing about
what "might " happen.

I think your end result might surprise you!
Greg
Old 01-05-2004, 01:26 PM
LSP972

Default RE: Regarding Steve Retracts

If you are talking to me, Greg, I never got to the "hand-wringing" stage. Fortunately, the LHS guy agreed to trade me the NIB T-34 kit for another NIB sport aerobatic ARF kit.

As for being surprised, you might be right. But I haven't been in the mood lately to deal with it if you are not. So why take a chance? I'm glad yours is working out, though.