Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NoN Throttled Cox power

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NoN Throttled Cox power

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 01:42 AM
Bmx2996
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NoN Throttled Cox power

has anybody tried a non throttled cox 0.49 on their planes.?
I have one and i would like to use it!

-nick
Old 05-19-2002, 01:58 AM
DennisD

Go for it. 20 years ago, there were no throttles for Cox engines, and the 1/2 A's we flew then, had no problems.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:10 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great way to learn deadstick landings.. I started with a Goldberg Skylane42, Med 09 and a ED 3 brick.. no throttle.. ya flew till ya ran out of gas.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:28 PM
matchlessaero

Default give it a whirl

Flew that way for years and still do. I have run both reedvalve and TEEDEE type Cox's without throttle, and had an absolute blast!!!

In fact, flying a Tee Dee this way is really nice. This is because you can assemble the fuel tank with a fixed pickup. When you want to kill the engine, just roll the plane upside down for a moment, the engine will then quit from fuel starvation....(I guess that also works for 95% of the reed valves too)
Old 05-19-2002, 01:33 PM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

That's what I learned to fly RC with .... A Cox
Black Widow on an Airtronics QT with no throttle
and like stated above , I just hand launched and
flew till it ran out of gas then dead sticked it.
I learned alot and had loads of fun. Alot
less complicated than some of the stuff I have
been messing with lately and definitely less
money involved...
Give it a try!
Sam
Old 05-19-2002, 07:06 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Nothing like a question like this to make one remember. I started about thirty years ago with a Goldberg Junior Skylark with a Cox Golden Bee. Tried to fly it with no instruction with predictible results. Joined a club, still a member, and bought a foam Goldberg Ranger 42. Flew with a Black Widow. Had a ball. Think I sold it. I had an Ace 2T that was a flying glider with wheels on a Golden Bee. Crashed it . A pity, it was a fine trainer with a Logictrol "brick" system. Next was an RCM Lil Mulligan from plans based on an Ace foam wing. It had a TD.051 with a tank mount. Flew it on a very windy day and broke it badly. Found the plans and templates a month or so ago. If I can get a tapered Ace foam wing it may rise again. Next was an RCM Joystick with a TD.051 with a separate tank. Two channels with rudder and elevator. Flew great and often and you had to use a lot of elevator to make it turn. Still have it. Thinking of recovering it and using a mini three channel with a Norvel .061. That originally had the micro of the day in it, a Cannon "brick" system. Thanks for the chance to remember.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:08 PM
MikeJ

You guys are bringing back a lot of memories. My first plane was a hobby lobby recruit. Foam wings and a plastic fues with a black widow. I spun it in from about 300 feet, into a shallow pond on my very first flight. My dad and I dried it out that evening, and the next day I was dead sticking it onto the runway at our local club.

1/2 A is definately the way to go. Especially if you want to get the most RC for the money. After more years than I care to count, I still have a 1/2 A in my hanger. It's a morris yellowjacket with a TD 051. No throttle and it flies like a champ. Just as much, if not more fun than my big planes, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:08 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default Naw...

Used to get a Cox Baby Bee for $2.99 and a R/C plane kit for $4.99, load up my radio and B batteries in the trunk go flying on the South side of town.

The Baby Bee fired off quickly, if it ran the correct direction, and then go through the proceedure. Turn on the transmitter, tune the receiver, then top off the tank again, and launch. Sometimes things would sound different or act funny, investigate, cure, then launch. Oh, did I forget to top off again? It gets about 300 feet away, and engine quits-out of fuel. It settles into the weeds.

Yes, I remember the un-throttled days.

Wm.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:56 PM
SDM

The little Coxes could be a pain ... I too had
quite a few short runs with unexpected landings
in the weeds. Usually no damage however.
The long runs were alot of fun and seemed to
last forever when you got the engine tuned right.
I may have to build another one of those 2
chanel planes soon.
This is a good forum ....

Sam
Old 05-20-2002, 03:08 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I was looking for something a while ago and came upon a box containing a very modified TD .051. It had a Kustom Kraftmanship cylinder and piston, a needle valve assembly from the same company and a Cox muffler. I never ran it, don't remember why. It's beautiful and completely rust free. All my TD's had needle valves from Kustom Kraftmanship. The Cox one was too coarse. The KK's really made them run well. About 25% Nitro helped, too. The last one I remember using was as an engine assist on a glider. I have a couple of Norvel's now and one in a plane I bought at an auction. When I finish installing the radio, I'll fly it. This is great fun, remembering.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:19 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Then in the mid 70`s the 1/2a schoolyard fad came about.. remember the quickie 200? 1/2a Joystick? All the fred Reese designs and the HOB kits..
Old 05-22-2002, 12:44 AM
LUV2FLYRC2
My Feedback: (8)

SDM That's how I got in to R.C. back in the 70's. A Qtee and a blackwidow.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:41 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

If you want to relive your Q Tee days......

http://www.dchobby.com/powered/qtee/qtee.html

Also in new battery flavor

http://www.dchobby.com/electric/q-teee/qteee.html

Built and crashed one when I was 13. I still have the Sanwa 2 channel radio.

I'll probably buy one soon. I have a brand new QRC and Black Widow. Haven't decided which to use.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:16 PM
SDM

Luv2flyrc2:
I went so far as to expand the plans for the QT
a bit on
a copy machine to allow for a throttled Enya 09
and eventually went to a 15. If I remember correctly the wing came out at about 44". I
learned alot with that step and scratch built
a couple planes.
I would definitely like to try one of the new
QTs with a throttled engine, and a micro radio
pack with 4 channels.
Sounds like fun....
Sam
Old 05-22-2002, 03:20 PM
SDM

Flatfour:
Thanks for the web site on the QT. I may just order one as they are so simple to build..

Sam
Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Grampaw

Default RE: NoN Throttled Cox power

Man did this thread stir up the dust up in the brain dome! Back in the early 60's I bought a Comet rubber powered Piper Cub to work on at night after work. I hadn't built a model in years. I finished the Cub, built a 2nd one and then discovered RCM and got hooked on RC.

I bought several issues at a Newstand, pouring over the articles and plans until I began to understand more and more of it. I wanted to fly RC real bad. I stopped by a field one Saturday that was having an AMA get together and was blown away with the planes and the guys out there. I was really hooked.

Most radios were the Reed types, with some Single Channel and Galloping Ghost stuff. But I wanted realism, and as a result had to wait a bit longer. Then RCM began publishing a monthly column (can't recall the author) on building your own Proportional Radio Control set. I read and reread it each month, but knew I could never build it. I was down again.

Then Heathkit came out with their Proportional 3 channel set. A TX, RX and 3 servos, that you built yourself! And, they offered monthly payments! Before I could place an order, they offered an Optional 4th channel (a rudder knob that sat up on top of the Aileron and Elevator stick! I placed my order and in two weeks was into the assembly process on my own radio outfit!

I learned a lot from their instructions, and after finishing my 4 channel rig, started to fly RC airplanes in ernest, and haven't stopped yet. I flew planes with that Heath rig for about 12 years. Didn't have to change the TX battery until after it was 5 years old, and that was due to an error on my part. I finally retired it after joining an AMA Chartered club to change over to the latest more modern gear.

The first Heath servos were a lot larger than today's stuff, but I crammed 3 of them into a few 1/2A planes and they flew pretty well. I replaced them with smaller stuff as they came on the market. I used to create a lot of notice as I was the only one flying a single stick transmitter. A lot of the guys didn't believe it. A funny thing happened later on as I was asked to help a few new guys learn to fly. Everyone of them had Airtronics dual stick proportional sets, so I had to learn to fly dual stick planes in order to teach them to fly with them! That one summer I did not take any of my stuff to the field, as I was flying everybody else's gear. I finally had to call a halt to the Instruction bit so I could enjoy my own planes again.

As the years passed I moved to larger airplanes, but as of late, find myself not enjoying flying as much as I used to. After reading the posts on this forum, I dug up several 1/2A sized plans I still hoard and gave them a look see. I remembered the fun we used to have with them. Several on this thread mentioned certain planes I have built, flown and enjoyed and it has given me the hots to chop some balsa, small size and hopefully have fun again. Thanks guys........G P

Old 09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
peterburford

Hey, doesn't it all steadily get too big and complicated and lose some of the fun.
Peter
Old 09-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Of all the 1/2a planes I have flown the last few years, only a sailplane had a throttle. Guess I like the old days, and ways.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
SDM

I tried helicopters and dabbled in giant scale and have found that I lost alot of the fun because I was worried about
how much money I had flying around up there. Now that I don't have a dedicated flying field I find myself thinking about
going back to a 1/2 a plane of some kind and flying out my back field. I like them all but some are just more practical than others.
Sam
ORIGINAL: peterburford

Hey, doesn't it all steadily get too big and complicated and lose some of the fun.
Peter