Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Ikarus AeroFly Pro vs. Hobbico's Reflex R/C Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Ikarus AeroFly Pro vs. Hobbico's Reflex R/C Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:47 PM
gysnst2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikarus AeroFly Pro vs. Hobbico's Reflex R/C Simulator

Ok, Here is the 411, AeroFly Pro is probably the best flight Sim for 3D and here is why: we have AeroFly Pro, GreatPlanes Realflight G2, and Ripmax R/C Simulator, FMS and I mistakenly got Reflex for Christmas. Like other people out there, we were in search for the cheapest flight simulator that would do 3d well. It has been an expensive road we were taking because I have all the simulators except the Dave Brown Collection.
Well I have been using AeroFly Pro for about 4 months now and WOW! The simulator is incredible. 3D characteristics and flight physics are incredibly realistic. If you don't believe me go to and view the video of the cap torquing at http://www.suburbanrcbarnstormers.com/cap_0001.wmv. Joe Hunt of www.downonthedeck.com has a video of Roland Matt’s Extra 330S doing nothing but 3d. AeroFly Pro is available for sale at http://www.fxaeromodels.com for $139.
Ok back to the 411. I was up all night tinkering with Hobbico’s Reflex Simulator, and it seems to me that it is an expensive $189 take-off of FMS and Ripmax R/C Simulator with better graphics. I was flying with the Kyosho Flip 3D (among other models that Hobbico’s Reflex offers) and there is no feel of realism. The rolls are slow and if anyone has ever flew FMS they know what it is like to try to hover and the plane just keep snapping out and crashing to the ground.
I have to admit that the USB interface makes setting up Hobbico’s Reflex a snap. The graphics are very good, and the plane quality is excellent, but not as good as AeroFly Pro’s graphics which are superb. There are a million and one settings that I will never use, no smoke and no gassers and the sound quality is not the greatest. Hobbico’s Reflex has no competitions unlike G2 and AeroFly Pro, which have competitions and or online abilities.
Now with AeroFly Pro we had to work out a few bugs to get the serial interface to work properly. But once we did we were off giving the Giles 202 more hp and a bigger prop. None of which you can do with, Hobbico’s Reflex. Hobbico’s Reflex lets you change the power to weight ratio 2-1….3-1 ECT. But no customizing props. AeroFly Pro is more of a user friendly flight simulator with all the bells and whistles.
I know AeroFly Pro has made me a better pilot. I used G2 until I received my AeroFly Pro and I will sell the G2 soon the only reason I keep the G2 around is for the online play as far as the simulation goes, G2 does not do well at 3D, so it has to go.

Now I am not into helis but AeroFly Pro and Hobbico’s Reflex both seem to do well for helis so if you into helis, then take your pick. Both can handle many transmitters as long as you have the connector and set it up properly. Look for an upcoming review in early February on http://www.rcuniverse.com/ {The Buck Stops Here; Which One Holds There Own In Today’s Complex World of Flight Simulation.}

Thanks, Mike Bargman and Ray Sidwell
Email question and comments to
Mike Bargman – [email protected]
Ray Sidwell – [email protected]
http://www.downonthedeck.com
http://www.suburbanrcbarnstormers.com
http://fxaeromodels.com/
Old 12-27-2003, 08:50 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Ikarus AeroFly Pro vs. Hobbico's Reflex R/C Simulator

Hey Mike
Thanks for the comparisons.
Just got AeroFly for Christmas and It Is a blast! Only problem for me Is I don't have a fast enough computer( 600 megahertz ). What size computer are you using and what Is your FPS?

Guess I'll be calling Dell later
Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
GeForce 4 5800 graphic w/ 128 MB RAM
512 MB system RAM

I am running AFP in 1600x1200 resolution @ over 70 FPS. It's sweet[8D]
Old 12-27-2003, 11:02 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

What does changing the frams per second on AFP do?

Flierbk
Old 12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

I also have had the Ikarus pro.The perfect sim. for 3D.Complete realizism.I fly on mine everyday.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:44 PM
gysnst2

1 amd 800 512 meg ram 100gig hd space we were getting 70 frames per sec oh yeah geforce 128meg video card

2 intel p4 2.4 256 meg ram 40 gig hd space 256 meg video ram geforce 70 frames per sex they

run identical on there 2 comps

3 my next one is the 3.2 extreme addition by Intel 4 gig of corsair ram 533 mhz 256 med video and 4 200 gig hds

i wonder how many frames per sec i will get then enjoy

Thank stomper me and mike try to do your best
Old 12-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Ian.W

intell pentium 3 proccesser
128mb ram
550mhz
nVidia GeForce4 MX400 with 64mb of ram.

Depending on scenery/smoke/what outher programs are running about 20(only if lots of things running on the most senery-ish scenary)-60 if im lucky
Old 12-27-2003, 06:29 PM
seanychen

Ian, your computer's graphic power is more on the moderate side. You should run it in 640x480 resolution and fly in the simplier scene, then you should get 70 FPS no problem. 60 FPS is crucial for smoothness and quick visual feedback, especially important for 3D flying.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:58 AM
Ian.W

its fine at it is. I usually, if not most of the time getabove the recomended 34fps. It flys nicly. I always fly on Forest lake or the deasert. Thoses two only need a 400mhz processer. Ian
Old 12-28-2003, 06:25 AM
Luke 3D returns

To increase performance on older computers running XP you can type Ctrl+Alt+del and then click on the processes tab. Check that aerofly is running and right click it under the list of processes. a menu will come up where you can set the priority of the program. If you increase AFp's priority from normal to above normal or even higher it makes a big difference. But watch out if you go too far you can overheat the processor and it can end up not supplying enough processing power for other processess, resulting in system instability. Have fun!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:38 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Hey Luke
Great post SIR! Thank you.
Just what I needed till I get a new puter. I am getting up to 29 FPS now. Not the recomended 34 but a lot better than the 15 I was getting! Thanks again!

I have to say the feel of the Hype on this sim is so close to the real thing, It's just awesome!

Does any one know if there are down load sites for AeroFly like there is for G2?
Old 12-28-2003, 01:50 PM
gysnst2

Stomper
If you go to ikuras's website, there is a section in downloads that will direct you to a german third party site that is packed with planes for all the ikuras, hobbico, and great planes sims, there are even downloads for fms.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 AM
Ian.W

[link=http://www.rcsim.de/]Try HERE[/link]

This is were i get all mine from
Old 12-29-2003, 11:29 AM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

I just got AFP for Christmas and all I can say is WOW! The only problem I have with AFP is the serial interface. It works fine and all, but it's more of a pain to set up on the ole laptop.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Luke 3D returns

You are welcome stomper. I am pleased it helped you.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:00 PM
gysnst2

Trailingedge
YOU ARE CORRECT I THINK THAT IKURAS IS WORKING ON THIS BECAUSE THERE PATCH SUPPORTS UBS INTERFACES WE WILL SEE.
Ray
Old 12-30-2003, 03:11 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

kewl ray! That's good to hear. I hope the usb interface comes out soon.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:00 PM
snakeeater

Default ...About the serial laptop config?

trailingedge

Please can you help me set up AFP on my laptop

-DELL Inspiron 8200
-P4 2.0Ghz
-768Meg. RAM
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
-Built in sound card
-Latest version of AFP
-Radio JR Propo MAX 4

The sim works fine I can enter the flight arena (Graphics/Sound), and if I sit there long enough I can watch my little plane rotate in circles on the runway.
On start-up the program looks for "COM interface" and window disappears eventually (Seems like everything is ok) NO ERRORS, but when I try to calibrate the Tx. nothing.... The red bars do nothing. I have noticed when I pull the plug in and out while in the calibration window I can see a little glitch........But that is all

I have tried the Mono adapter....nothing. There is a connection because the TX. lights up when cable plugged in switch 'OFF'...well tried both. I DO NOT have a game commander or a 15-Pin Gameport for my computer is a laptop.

Please any information will be greatly appreciated

SE
Old 01-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Ian.W

Default RE: ...About the serial laptop config?

er, sorry if you said this (as i only scanned your post) is your radio on???? Ive got a simular problem that the buddy box socket on my 6exa is got a dodgy connection in it and i get glitches. sometimes its fin, outer times i cant fly it, just ploughs into the ground
Old 01-29-2004, 03:04 PM
gysnst2

Received my game commander and vol one expansion pack today and well i was told by Mike Ikarus when i had emailed him about the game commander being a stand along product he emailed me back !QUOT!that i can buy it of xxx$!QUOT! so i bought it thinking it would work. Because my new PC does not have any serial connectors. To my surprise it does not work you have to have the dongle plugged in *** I'm am very pissed off what a waist of money. any why. part to of my review had been delayed to to the Snow see i work of Illinois Department OF Transportation and i am on call so Ive been working tons lately. sorry of the inconvenience but i will get to it soon thanks ray
Old 04-01-2004, 06:10 PM
rbengines
My Feedback: (2)

I too have new computer and the controller in the pro is not found. I have the USB plug from Radio Shack but can't set it up. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:35 PM
halfandhalf825

how come my forum was moved but not this one?? oh well im thinking about getting a AFP but the website says that they don't recommend Voodoo cards. it works just fine Ripmax Simulator.
i have
2.4 ghz
512Mb DDRAM
anyone use this simulator with a voodoo graphix card?
thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 PM
seanychen

ORIGINAL: halfandhalf825

how come my forum was moved but not this one?? oh well im thinking about getting a AFP but the website says that they don't recommend Voodoo cards. it works just fine Ripmax Simulator.
i have
2.4 ghz
512Mb DDRAM
anyone use this simulator with a voodoo graphix card?
thanks
What Voodoo is it? I think the only Voodoo that will run AFP in respectable frame rate @ acceptable resolution is the Voodoo 3500.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Shahid

I have exactly same spec as Ian but

my grapics are:

Intel 810 Onboard 16 MB

LOLOLOLOL!

IT *****!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM
jet

ORIGINAL: snakeeater

trailingedge

Please can you help me set up AFP on my laptop

-DELL Inspiron 8200
-P4 2.0Ghz
-768Meg. RAM
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
-Built in sound card
-Latest version of AFP
-Radio JR Propo MAX 4

The sim works fine I can enter the flight arena (Graphics/Sound), and if I sit there long enough I can watch my little plane rotate in circles on the runway.
On start-up the program looks for "COM interface" and window disappears eventually (Seems like everything is ok) NO ERRORS, but when I try to calibrate the Tx. nothing.... The red bars do nothing. I have noticed when I pull the plug in and out while in the calibration window I can see a little glitch........But that is all

I have tried the Mono adapter....nothing. There is a connection because the TX. lights up when cable plugged in switch 'OFF'...well tried both. I DO NOT have a game commander or a 15-Pin Gameport for my computer is a laptop.

Please any information will be greatly appreciated

SE
HELP! I've got a similar problem. Just got the AFP w/ expansion pac. Everything loads fine, but can't initialize or calibrate my Hitec xmitter. Hence, no control on a/c. I can hand launch or glider launch (key 'G' 'H' & 'J'). A/C will fly, but no control.

I did NOT have the xmitter switched on. Very hesitant to start throwing volts from an outside source (xmitter) into the 'puter.

Finally read most of the threads, and found some concerning battery life, and pulling antenna off. So, I decided to switch the xmitter on, and try to calibrate. To make a long story short, the smoke got out of the xmitter.
Now, everyone knows that everything electrical is made with smoke, and when you see the smoke come out, you have to send the component back to get more smoke put in.

I have read the German, English, and French versions of the AFP setup manual, and NOWHERE does it give any HELP or TROUBLESHOOTING. Needless to say, there is no mention of turning the xmitter 'on'. It does mention casually about the 'buddy' hookup, and anyone who has used a buddybox setup knows the 'buddybox' switch stays off.

Other than no control, the graphics are great, the A/C's fly nice, but have to use the joystick control (it has the throttle set on wfo).

Any help out there? What did you finally get happening, Snakeeater? thanx, jet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.