Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Iliminator 20% fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 07:45 AM
humveecrusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iliminator 20% fuel?

Is anyone using Iliminator 20% fuel and are you having any luck with it?

I run Trinity Platinum 20% and when I ran out I went to my lhs and they were out too. So I bought the Iliminator 20%. My T-maxx and Terra Crusher ran fine on asphalt but when I hit the grass they both lost power and overheated rather quickly. Still no luck even after richening more then 2 turns. Anyone else have a bad expeirence with this fuel? [&o]
Old 02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
mecky33

Default RE: Iliminator 20% fuel?

I havent had any bad experience with it. That is the only fuel I have run in my Cen MT2. It is great fuel, I can get awesome power with it and still run low temps. Have you retuned your cars at all with the new fuel? That could be part of the problem. Wildcat uses an 18% oil content to keep temps down with that fuel. You may have worn pistons or an air leak that are causing your overheating. I had the same problems with loss of power and overheating due to an air leak on my carb. Anyway, just some ideas for you. Good luck with it.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:02 AM
humveecrusher

Thanks Dan. The engine in the TC is a brand new O.S. made Duratrax .18 so the piston and sleeve are tight. I broke it in on this fuel and it will idle all day long. I also replaced all the fuel lines. It is possible that one of these things could be wrong, but it seems awful strange that both engines behaved the same way. The 2.5 has about a gallon on it and it still ran very strong on the Trinity. I will try to do some more observations with them and see if they run spuradic. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
mecky33

I don't know if you know this or not, but Trinity fuels are mixed by Wildcat. I do find it strange that you are having problems with your fuel. I am having the exact oposite problem right now with low temps and to much power. I have destroyed my second gear shift catch on two different gears on the first tank because my engine has so much power.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:13 PM
humveecrusher

Yes, it does seem odd. You would think that 18% oil verses 12% oil would be much better. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe my clutch bell is slipping under the stress of the grass. I don't get it. I have about a quarter of a gallon left then I will go back to the platinum blend and see what happens. I didn't know that wildcat mixed both fuels. Thanks. I'm glad that you are having good luck with it. Thanks again for your input.

Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 11:52 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

if you go from a fuel with 12% oil to 18% oil you will have to lean it out a bit to get the same performance... because your engine might be having a hard time clearing out the oil.... the "Flash point" of your fuel has changed, causing your motor to stay "loaded" with excess oil..... and that oil is staying inside and preventing the engine from running as strong as before.... ALSO if you engine is not burning all the fuel, it works a little harder, and it is also harder for the exhaust to get out, and the result of that is Heat. your motors heat will climb..... one thing to check is, bring your truck to a stop... does the temp climb still at idle? or does it go down? if it goes up... your engine is running loaded... lean a little, try again(could also chech by the pinch the fuel line test to see if it is rich or lean)..... just don't go too far.... watch the temps... hope this helps a bit.

PS i used to use That fuel all the time, and never had 1 problem with it.... it just go too expensive up here, so i switched to something else...
Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 AM
humveecrusher

Thanks miserynitro, makes a lot of sense. I was going in the wrong direction. Seems like when I leaned it out though, it was starving at the high end but I will work with it some more. I have noticed much more oil at the base of the engine, well heck, everywhere. I can understand this happening with the traxxas 2.5 because of it being used to the lower oil content, if an engine can get used to one kind of fuel, but the engine I have in my TC is a brand new duratrax .18. Again, thanks for your input and I will try what you have suggested.

Joe
Old 02-21-2004, 10:30 AM
miserynitro

yeah, just make sure you listen to you motor... you should know if it sounds too lean... or too rich... but usually loss of power is rich.... because it has happened to me when i changed fuels... just watch the temps, so you don't damage anything... and have some fun!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:53 PM
humveecrusher

Had a little better luck tonight. Still trying to find the sweet spot with my hsn. Either seems to be to rich or to lean. Get this...according to the duratrax instructions I'm suppose to start at 2 turn out and end up at 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 turns out after 10 tanks. Can't even come close. It will take off like a scared cat then die at 1 1/2 turns out. If I run it at 3 turns out it will run great until it gets into the grass then bog down at wot. It does seem that the longer I run it the better it gets. Much better then the old fs .18 that was in it. Maybe my header isn't on tight enough. I don't know. I will have to break out the 2.5 t-maxx and try leaning it out a bit and see if the power comes back. I will keep at it until what's left of this bottle then buy the platinum again and see if there is a difference.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:03 PM
mecky33

Humvee, I was running my truck today, and like I said, its running pretty low temps with the eliminator fuel. I have so much power with it that I snapped two CVD's and a dogbone on my truck today, and broke a clutch spring. So, the eliminator fuel may be developing more HP than other fuels.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:36 PM
humveecrusher

mecky33...I'm so glad the you are having such good luck. I ran my t-maxx yesterday and it ran awesome as it should...until I ran it in the grass. Same thing happened. It would overheat and bog. I tried leaning...I tried richening...I tried everything. I even got it tuned so it would sit and idle very well, pull wheelies and run at high speeds on the street forever. But as soon as I ran it in the grass for about 30 seconds, it would overheat and bog. Go figure. Maybe sometime you should try the trinity platinum and tell me if you see a difference. Again, thanks for the response. Keep crushing!

Joe
Old 02-23-2004, 06:15 PM
mecky33

If I can find the Trinity at a decent price I will pick some up for comparison. I am sorr to hear though that you are not having good luck with the eliminator fuel. I am curious though, have you messed with the low speed and idle needles on your carbs? It could be that your high speed is to rich and your low speed is to lean or idle to far open. It is really hard to troubleshoot tuning issues without being there. Anyway, good luck with it and I hope you figure out what is going on.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 AM
humveecrusher

I have done it all. I will do several high speed passes and do the pinch test. I have the lsn set so that the engine will die in about 3-5 seconds. Of course the idle is relevent to the lsn setting. Like I stated before...both engines idle very well with no heat increase. I have tried the hsn anywhere from 1 1/2 to 5 turns out starting at 2 turns out as a base. On both the t-maxx and the tc, 3 turns out is about the best setting, but both will still overheat and bog while running in the grass for about 30 seconds. I'm wondering if the humidity could be the difference. Maybe you are a bit dryer up there in Washington.

Joe
Old 02-24-2004, 10:21 AM
mecky33

That is pretty strange. I am not sure about the humidity either. Up here in washington the humidity is anywhere between 40 to 60 on normal days and then we have the rainy days or high humidity due to various weather states in between normal and raining. I have run my truck in all of these conditions and have never had a problem. It almost sounds like you may have air leaks on your engines. I did have problems with that a couple times because I didn't tighten my head down or my glow plug. Just some more Ideas for you.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Unstable

eliminator runs hot in my savage too. I can run it fine in cool weather and gets a ton of power and run temps about 280 or so.. but in the summer it vapor locks so I go back to blue thunder.

i guess some engine types it just doesnt agree with...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
humveecrusher

well...just got off the phone with my lhs guru and I told him my hair pulling troubles. He told me that it could be possible that I may have gotten a bad mix. He also told me to pull off the air filter, give it about 1/4 throttle and put my finger over the carb. If it stalls right away...no air leak. If it wants to run...there is an air leak somewhere. So, back to the drawing board.

Thanks unstable, but unfortunatly it was about 30 degrees one day, 25 another day and 40 one the third day. I can't blame it on the hot weather...lol.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:53 PM
miserynitro

hey, check your slipper clutch on your Tmaxx, that could be why it bogs down... and gets hot,.... see if it is 1/2 turn from tight... i think that si where it is supposed to be.... that could cause the boggy in the grass and not on the pavement..... also they do have a tendency to come loose from time to time... and if it is slipping the engine would be reving but going no where hence it would heat up...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:19 AM
humveecrusher

Thanks for reminding me about that miserynitro. If I remember correctly the slipper did look like the spring was spread and not to tight. I will give that a look. Maybe the slipper on my tc is worn too.

Joe
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
miserynitro

lets us know what happens... since we are here to help!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:24 AM
humveecrusher

Will do. Thanks again.

Joe
Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

This is kinda lame...

But I dont know if castor oil is totally soluble inn alcohol..

Maybe you should shake up your fuel mixture?/solution? before you feed it to the motor..
Theory: Maybe the oil (being heavier) has settled and your getting a very low oil% mix from the top??

ITs funny.. my motor runs COOLER on a 12-15% mix (modified Blue thunder) than it does with 18% mix (Wildcat eleminator)

Interesting fact: ALMOST ALLL FUELS are manufactured by Morgan Fuels Inc..

From what I've seen, about 95%+ of the fuels out there are actually made by Morgan fuels.. and again about 90% of the oils are made by Klotz Lube..

The only difference is the additives.. and I'm not sure if they can cause such huge differences.

I blame other lurking variables and compund variances for the difference in results.
(Sorry.. just got out of my statistics class lol)

Good luck.. and please tell us if you get it working!!

Ram
Old 02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
miserynitro

on the other hand... for the oil to settle out of fuel, one of the blending agents wouldn't be working.... one of the 3, and if were to settle out, there would be no bringing it back.... oil and water don't mix no matter how much you shake them up right... well same idea... if this were the case you should be able to visiably see the seperation.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 AM
humveecrusher

good point on both counts. I am glad to see that someone else kinda has the same problem with the 18% oil running hotter then the 12% that I like.

Joe
Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working on and modifying 2-stroke engines for a number of years and here is my theory on oil/fuel mixtures;

2-stroke engines need oil for lubrication (obviously) so it's mixed in with the fuel. Now while the oil can help keep temps down, too much oil can increase temps. The reason being that when you bump the oil % up from say 12% to 18% you decrease the % of combustable fuel. The fuel is 100% and when you have 12% oil, you have 88% combustable fuel. 18% oil equals 82% combustable fuel. Since air flow is always 100%, by dropping the % of combustable fuel, you are increasing the air to fuel ratio, resulting in an air lean mixture (higher temps). Now you can richen the carb to try to counter this effect, but by doing so you are increasing the amount of oil (uncombustable) and your engine runs kinda boggy, appearing to be rich. So in order to get decent performance out of high oil % fuels, you have to run it with an air lean condition, resulting in higher temps. I hope this made sence to all of you.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
humveecrusher

Makes perfect sense. The best explanation yet. After I check the slippers and run the rest of this high oil content out it's back to the 12%. Thanks.

Joe