Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Better 3D ship??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:42 PM
eyeflyhelis
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better 3D ship??

Which helicopter is better a shuttle Sceadu or the Hawk IV?

I am about to start 3D flying and I have a Shuttle Plus. I was going to buy a Shuttle Sceadu for a second ship figuring that I would always want a back up set the same for when I crunch the first. I realize they are different but I have always had good luck with my shuttle. I would buy a a second Sceadu after the shuttle crashes.
Or my option is to sell the shuttle now and buy 2 hawks right up front and start there.
So this creates the dilema of which way to go? The Hawk is less money and cheaper for parts but I've never seen one fly in person. Is this a good 3D transition ship or shoul I stay with the shuttle?
Bye the way I have noticed that the Sceadu look an aweful lot like the Hawk.

Right now my skill level is nose in, loops, rolls, hammer heads, split s's, 1/2 cubans.
thanks for any help.
tom
Old 03-13-2004, 07:34 AM
EC120

Default RE: Better 3D ship??

I don't like the hawk but I know a few who learned how to fly on them and don't care for me saying that. They seem to me to get sloppy quick. The sceadu 50 is great. It holds up better than my raptor as far a slop goes. I made a few upgrades to the tail including a speed up gear, longer SAB tail blades, and carbon pushrod to get the tail to hold the way I wanted. The parts are reasonable and about the same as the raptor except hirobo is apparently very proud of their lexan. The canopy is $36 dollars and comes with all the hardware needed but no lexan windshield. They want another $14 bucks for that $.50 cent item. So the canopy is as expensive as a fiber glass one. If your staying with a 30 then it is kinda nice to have two of the same heli. I've not flown the shuttle plus. Only an older shuttle. I'd probably take a raptor 30 over a sceadu 30 but the sceadu is the better 50 imho.

And the sceadu looks nothing like a hawk [:'(]
Old 03-13-2004, 11:43 AM
eyeflyhelis

When I say they look a like I mean that Hirobob has moved the tank to the rear and it has a very similar looking head. Again, I have not seen a Hawk in person but throught pics online they do have similar traits and the Sceadu is nothing like any of the shuttles.
As for getting slopy is it the ball joints or does the whole thing loosen up (frame bolts, enigne mounts??)
tom
Old 03-13-2004, 12:19 PM
EC120

The swash, control system and stuff like that. The bolts stay tight but parts seem to wear quickly. But I did not build the hawks I worked on although it did not seem like a builder related problem. The raptor, sceadu, and hawk all kinda look alike. There seem to be few helis that really look different. It kind of boils down to the materials used, cost, and personal preference. If you crash every week I don't think you are going to see any wear on the Hawk because you will be replacing those parts often. If your crash a sceadu every week then you won't see the low maintenance as a plus and instead you will be aggrevated a little more by the cost. In the end they probably all equal out. If you want low cost 30 size helicopters for aerobatic training I'd favor the Raptor 30 V2 over the hawk. I saw a guy crash a R30 hard inverted and knock the head clean off and it cost him $80 total (using wood blades). But just don't crash and then no problem.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:51 PM
eyeflyhelis

Well I had a bad day today. I had some good but its now time to buy another heli. While flipping it end over end it shut off and I flipped it back right side up and did a great auto but the wind blew the heli towards the trees and I made it 7/8th of the way through them only to tap a branch and POOF up side down and in the road. Then you know whats next. So anybody have a shuttle plus without an engine? If not I decided to go with the Hawk.

Come to find out the glow plug burned out in flight must have been to lean.

If anyone has a cheap Plus please email me directly.

tom