Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Questions about Lead Acid batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Questions about Lead Acid batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Lead Acid batteries

I went to www.rcbatteryclinic.com and have already read what it has to say about lead acid batteries. I have two additional questions...

1) Does a lead acid battery ever have to be cycled? I have never fully discharged mine in the two years that I've owned it.

2) Is it okay to charge lead acid batteries at the same time it is being used? For example, I want to charge my Rx and Tx batteries overnight using a charger that is powered by the lead acid battery, and at the same time I want to charge the lead acid battery overnight.

Thanks,
Juice
Old 03-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Questions about Lead Acid batteries

Does a lead acid have to be cycled: Definately not, in fact, if you discharge one to low you risk permanent damage. As you read in rcbattery clinic, charge a lead acid battery with a constant voltage charger with a current limiting circuit. As to your second question, you probably can charge your secondary batteries while chargeing the main battery. As long as you are not drawing more current from it than the charger is putting into it and, your secondary load will not be damaged with the higher voltage it will see while charging the lead acid battery which may be as high as 14.8 volts.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:26 AM
shenion

Usually not.

Some motorcycle batts have a compund that is designed to protect the plates if it is over-discharged. If left alone, this collects on the plates and needs to be removed by drawing current. Something about preventing buildup of sulfates.

I have seen these. You try to draw current and you get little current. It slowly builds up current as this compond is driven off the plates. The batt I had (a $70 Yuasa) that advertised this "protection" did not last any longer than any $15 batt I've had.

Lead-Acid batts do not need to be cycled. I have seen them provide better current when partially cycled. I had an old batt that would barely turn over my starter. I cycled it a few times (down to 12v) and it got better. But once it starts losng current, the plates are starting to deteriorate. It will be a losing battle from there.

Don't worry about cycling them. Worry more about overcharging them.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:04 AM
azvmax

I found this to be useful

This info is for lead acid liquid
Most hobby battery's are lead acid in gel form

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/battery_maintenance.htm

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.asp

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/qabroch.pdf