Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

nuttin special

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

nuttin special

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:37 AM
danebo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nuttin special

Getting back into the hobby after about seven or eight years and it feels good to be back. One of the first things I want to do is finish a "nuttin special" I was working on. Can't find my manual anywhere, any chance of any of you having one that could be copied. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: nuttin special

What is a nuttin special
Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 PM
danebo

The "nuttin special" was a pretty cool low wing sport ARF that was originally sold by Model Tech which is now handled by Global. Supposedly they were importing it from a company in Canada that went bankrupt and the plane is no longer available. I've got one almost ready to fly but wanted a manual to check my memory. BDane
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Mettler1

I kind of thought the Nuttin' Special became the Dragon Lady ARC which is now the Dragon Lady ARF. I have the Dragon lady ARC. Does this look anything like it??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24358.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	119265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55377.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	119266  
Old 04-06-2004, 09:35 AM
danebo

Have the Dragon Lady also, the "nuttin special" has a fuse that is quite a bit taller and a little narrower with a fiberglass cowl to match. The 1.08 is inverted because of the narrow cowl but fits nice. I added a "cheek" to the side of the cowl for cooling air for the pitts style muffler. The planes otherwise are almost identical with the exception that the tail feathers on the "nuttin special" are built-up as opposed to planks. Hope to have pictures soon. Thanks for your reply and happy flying. BDane
Old 04-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

The Nuttin' Special, Joss Stick, and Dragon Lady all used the same wing with different tips. I would use the same set up that the Dragon Lady does. Should be the same CG wise....

Pugs
Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 PM
N925WB
My Feedback: (56)

I just picked up a NIB Nutten Special from the LHS a couple days ago. I have the manual at home. Send me an e-mail with your specific questions about CG, etc, and I'll forward the info. I don't have a scanner, so I'll have to type any answers, so please be nice to me!

-Wayne
[email protected]
Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 AM
JB Flies

The Nuttin ' Special kit has made its way down to New Zeland where I live. In fact I recently "aquired" a slightly battered but almost complete ARC kit, rescued from a trip to the dump after a shop closed! It looks real nice and reading the forum they seem to fly well so its this kit's lucky day as I intend to finish it off. However there are a couple of problems. While the fus, wings, tail bits are all there and in good order, there appear to be some bits missing from the kit - most importantly the instructions/plans. There are a few photocopied sheets which seem to cover most things but it would be helpful if I could get access to some plans or at least be able to ask someone for clarification where needed.

One area that needs clarification is the undercaridge which is missing entirely. Dimensions etc to help make up new pieces would be helpful. Also was the kit supposed to come with the bits to build up the tank box and engine mounts? If so they are missing also.

What engines are recommended? Is a 60 2C sufficient?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 AM
danebo

Got back into the hobby about a year ago after a ten year hiatus and one of my unfinished projects was a nuttin special that had been in the attic. After a long wait and through a thread on this service a fellow contacted me that had a complete manual. At my request he copied and mailed same to me. In return for his favor I would be glad to copy the manual and send it to you, just give me an address. Have a good day. BD
Old 02-01-2006, 02:22 AM
JB Flies

That sounds real kind - thanks so much. What I will do is get you to send it to a business friend of mine in Illinois and he can then send it out to New Zealand for me. That should cut down the postage. I would be happy to pay the postage but it is a bit difficult to send from here.

The plane looks nice and I am looking forward to getting it done.
JB
Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 AM
JB Flies

My friend is Glenn at 1800 447 1887 ext 344. If you say you are ringing on behalf of John Begg, Glenn will let you know the address etc. Many thanks for your help.

JB
Old 06-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I just picked up a Nuttin Special from a friend and I would like to come up with a new cowl for it. He bought the plane because he wanted the OS 160 Gemini twin that is on it and is selling me the plane pretty cheap. I would like to put my Saito .120 on it but I have to either patch the holes in each side of the cowl or replace it. I thought about putting some dummy cylinders in it but I am not sure where to get them. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:	Da83590.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	475574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28457.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	475575  
Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 AM
JB Flies

Sorry I cannot help you with locating a cowl. Your one looks like it has been neatly cut so it may be possible to re-glass the cut out sections. and then recut to suit your new engine. Just a thought that may be helpful.

I am still building mine. While I now have instructions, there are no plans or pictures. Your pictures look great. I wonder if you might be able to send me a picture of the elevators. I am particuarly interested in how the two elevators are linked and the control connected. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Just Plane Nuts

I just picked up a Nuttin Special from a friend and I would like to come up with a new cowl for it. He bought the plane because he wanted the OS 160 Gemini twin that is on it and is selling me the plane pretty cheap. I would like to put my Saito .120 on it but I have to either patch the holes in each side of the cowl or replace it. I thought about putting some dummy cylinders in it but I am not sure where to get them. Any help would be appreciated.
I just bought the last one of these models that Graves Hobbies had on sale. How does yours fly?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
autoguns

Dont know if you noticed , but the post you quote is over 4 years old
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out. "Just Plane Nuts" last login was on 8/6/2010, He might still be flying the model.

Do you have anything that you would like to add or are you just monitoring the halls?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 PM
autoguns

Thanks for asking, Yes I do, Your going to enjoy the way the plane flys, If you like to fly sport type planes. The last time I seen one, it flew much like a cross between a super sportster and a spacewalker.
Be sure to post up some pics once you get yours together. Take care JW
Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 AM
JB Flies

I still have my Nuttin Special and fly it regularly. It is a joy to fly and quite capable enough for me. It is also robust and takes the odd knock without too many problems.

Name:	By76553.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1518205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46192.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1518206  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:32 AM
JB Flies

Perhaps I should add that I fitted a ST 90 which is really good (after I replaced the carb). With the ST90 it has plenty of power and gets along at a good clip.