Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Dehaviland Beaver (DH2) Is this what I want?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Dehaviland Beaver (DH2) Is this what I want?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 05:19 AM
DerTSheetmetalGrl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dehaviland Beaver (DH2) Is this what I want?

Hi there!
I would like to introduce myself, and ask a couple of questions. I am an aviation structures mech...experience in DC9, 727,737,747, C130's... you know, mostley passenger airplanes. So I know a little bit about airplanes... however, what I need to find out is what kind of seaplane would be suitable for ocean use, and for a tourist biz. Our location is perfectly in a tourism market where they have cruise tours ect, and we are opening up a flight tours business. The question we are looking at at this point, is what type of aircraft would be best suited for our needs. My partner has his eye on getting a DeHaviland Beaver. I know nothing about smaller airplanes and so I must turn to the experts for advice. Is this a good airplane for our purpose, we need a 4 to 6 seater, and of course I imagine a smooth take off/ride/land are going to be rather important because it is the clientelle we will be making an impression on, ok, granted some of that has to do with the pilot itself, but other than that... you know...I can't compare one to the other if I don't know much about the float planes/seaplanes...

What are we looking to spend on a decent seaplane? Or are we better off to lease our first one. It is not a question of, will the company make money, it is a question of how fast can we get it set up.

I expect more corrosion or danger of corrosion due to the salt water, but what kinds of problems can we anticipate, or typical repairs to be done to a small aircraft such as this. Are there any recommended sites that anyone has for any of the information I am looking for.

I love working on airplanes, and I am very excited about this project. Building one is out of the picture for this venture, but I do anticipate myself taking on that task one day in the near future. I am about to begin flight training and am very excited about that too. Of course that will not be until the company is underway...

So please if you will, any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANX

Text[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 12:31 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

First you've landed at a RADIO CONTROLED AIRCRAFT SITE. but sence a lot of us are avation fanatics any way there will be both r/c and full-size pilots here. But since the Beaver is used for most if not all those reasons it sound like a good work horse for your purpose. They are used in Alaska for just such reasons.

Brian
Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
DerTSheetmetalGrl

oops! lol, well I figured it was too good to be true. You have an absolutely wonderful web site its very informative, as well as has great members. I read a few bits of information, and you'de have thought you were all passenger planes...anyways, just in case, if anyone logs on and has info I need or might be able to use, please let me know. After all I am here already...Thanx! Have a great day!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2003, 08:45 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, this is a Radio Controlled Airplanes forum, and your are in the sailplanes forum to boot, but anyway :

If you are looking at a 4-6 seat seaplane, you should also check the Cessna 206 on floats. It seats six people ( incl. pilot ), and I think it would be a lot cheaper to operate than a Beaver, because it has a "normal" six-cylinder opposite engine, whereas the Beaver has radial engine , and these are a lot more expensive, once it comes to repairs and overhauls.

If you need something bigger, (up to 10 pass), I think the Cessna Caravan I with floats would fit the bill.

Michael
Old 05-24-2003, 11:32 PM
colmo

Also, if memories are part of the trip, I would recommend a PBY Catalina, a bigger plane that floats on the its fuselage, known to have rescued a lot of pilots from the sea in WW II. It has 2 radials on its VERY high wing, and people even use it to fish deep in the ocean. Getting one in good shape will be a bit tough and maybe expensive, too, but if busyness is going well with the first one (the ones stated above I agree with, but keep in mind that the Caravan has a turboprop), you might think about it.

Good luck

colmo

PS i fly a DC 8, marvelous huge plane
Old 05-25-2003, 01:31 AM
DerTSheetmetalGrl

Thankyou for the information ... I have seen a picture of one of these aircraft you mention, the Pb Catalina, and was wonderign what it is... you say they are used for fishing too, what about the take off and land... it wouit would require more space for take off and land wouldnt it?...I will have to look one up...thankyou!! Great Idea though..Thanx!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:10 PM
colmo

have in mind that the catalina is a 40īs plane, old technology. Controlled by wires, and with old and loud radial engines. It requires a lot of care to be in good shape. It can land and take off from land and water (a plus over planes on pontoons that cant use land strips), and is very corrosion resistant, (for its age, off course). Anyway itīs a lot larger an investment than the other options. Good luck
Old 05-31-2003, 07:12 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Even a short caravan on floats is going to be well over the 1 mill mark,but if I had the cash thats the way I'd go.I fly a grand caravan on floats,besides a super otter,nothing compares.A 206 might be a little small for what your looking.I think the beaver is going to be your best bet,might even be able to find a turbine beaver.