Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Tuskegee Airmen P-51C

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Tuskegee Airmen P-51C

Old 04-30-2004, 11:14 AM
still bill
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuskegee Airmen P-51C

Hi All, I would like to build a 1/5 scale replica of one of the Tuskegee Airmen's P-51c Mustang. Anyone know of a kit or plans for the C version of the P-51 Mustang? I know one of the differences between the C Version and the D version is that the C version had a greenhouse canopy and the D had a bubble canopy. I can find plenty D version but can't seem to find the C version. If anyone knows of a kit or plans please post here. I perfer a kit but, will build from plans if I have to. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuskegee Airmen P-51C

The B and C models were identical, just made at different factories.
There should be some B models available as kits or plans.
Jerry
Old 04-30-2004, 02:15 PM
still bill
My Feedback: (1)

Jerry, I checked with Topflite, who use to make the C version kit. They tell me I can purchase the D Version from Tower Hobbies and some conversion parts from Great Planes to make a B version. Just wanted to know if anyone knows of a B or C version already in kit form.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check around at hobby shops in your area, you might get lucky and find one that still has one of the old red box or gold edition Top flight P-51B's sitting around.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:41 PM
parabellum

there are significant difference in wing outline between B and D version.
if you get B conversion from Top Flite, it does not change the wing shape.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are interested in a really accurate P-51B/C take a look at the Dave Platt design. Not a kit per se but I'm sure one of the kit cutters would be happy to cut it for you. It is a builders airplane and not for the faint of heart or inexperienced but it is one of the few options for a true scale B/C model Mustang. At 81 inches span it is actually 1/5.5 scale but that's pretty close. Aeroloft Designs also had an 80 inch glass and foam kit for the B/C Mustang which was pretty accurate. Not sure if that on is still available, check www.aeroloft.com. Finally, American Eagle has a semi-scale kit for this airplane which looks decent (at least as good as the TF kit) and is reported to be easy to build and a great flyer. Check the American Eagle forum at www.rcscalebuilder.com for more on this kit.