Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Platteville WI, R/C Flying

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Platteville WI, R/C Flying

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platteville WI, R/C Flying

I'm trying to either find a R/C club in this area, or -if none exists- start one. I've been flying for several years, but mostly by myself at my parents' land. Its a great place to fly, 1300' grass strip with almost no obstructions, but this hobby is more fun when flying with others. Any suggestions on how to find a club in this area? Or, if any of you are from Platteville WI (or the area) and want to start a club, let me know. Also, is there a way to search the members of this site to find where they are from?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:58 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Platteville WI, R/C Flying

The easy one first... the RCUniverse members location, if they provided it is under thier name when they post.

The first place to look if you want to find an AMA affiliated club is the AMA website.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/clubmain.asp

You can also use Google search and find clubs sometimes... But its not as easy.

I agree that its a LOT more fun to fly if you have a few others there to witness your successes, and to cheer you on... plus I get a lot of enjoyment from helping out beginners... helping them to avoid making the same errors that cost me so many airplanes.

I tend to spend 4 to 6 hours at the field at a time... and have a plane in the air a total of about 30 min to 1 hour. The rest of the time... mostly goes to "war stories" (mine or the other guy's... ) if I'm not helping a beginner.

If you end up organizing your own club... you have an advantage in already having a flying site... as long as having a bunch ogf guys flying there won't bother your parents... (better talk with them before assuming the site is available to 10, 20, 100... 300 [X(] people.)

Club organizing is quite a bit of work... and the guy that starts the club usually has to do most of the work for a few years. (and you always have the 12/100 effect... an average of 12 out of 100 members will show up to help do work.)
Old 05-07-2004, 09:26 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

To bad the Bears don't go to Platteville for summer camp anymore, I'd come out and join you. Sounds like you have a great place to fly.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yeah, too bad the bears stopped coming here. I can't legally be a bears fan because I'm from WI, but I do like the Bears and what they did for the community. Though they don't come here anymore, your still welcome to come up and fly.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

FHHuber, thanks for the suggestions. I looked, and the nearest AMA club is in a diferrent state. That is pretty much what I expected. I don't think people at my parents' house would be a problem, my dad flys full sized as well as R/C and suggested trying to get a club out there.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:37 PM
flyg202

Hello,

I was a student at UW-Platteville about 6 years ago or so and there was a group of guys that flew out at the Platteville airport. Most of their flying was done on Sunday afternoons and evenings. There is also a group of guys who fly over by Muscoda somewhere. I usually see them a couple of times a year at different fly-ins.

I think the closest club would be Dubuque but I don't quite know where their field is. If you want to stay in Wisconsin and fly then I think the closest club is either Madison or Lodi.

flyg202
pardeeville, wisconsin
Old 05-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Flyg202,
No one flys out at the Platteville airport anymore. A few years ago it got new owners that banned R/C. Just recently the old new owners left and new new owners took over(does that make any sense?). Anyway, R/C isn't banned anymore, but either the people that used to fly there don't know it yet, or they are nervous about a new radio transmitting tower that they put up on the airport. The people that own the airport now think that it might mess with our planes, but they aren't sure. I've heard rumors that people fly at the old Platteville airport (it been closed to full-scale planes for years) but every Sunday I go out there, I'm the only one there. Thanks for the input, but the search continues.
Nick
Old 05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

I did a search on the AMA site and Dubuque is the closest club. I guess I could try there, but I'm almost certain that there are people in Platteville that fly. I just gotta find them.