Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp-Arf 2.6 - Couple of Quick Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf 2.6 - Couple of Quick Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 12:36 PM
TBoone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp-Arf 2.6 - Couple of Quick Questions

My Comp-Arf arrives tomorrow and I need to order the tail-wheel assembly. I'm probably going to buy the TBM CF version. My question is this: I am planning to buy the H9 wheel pants and go with 3.5-4" wheels, rather than the stock size. In view of that, should I go with the smaller "medium" tail wheel assembly, or still go with the "large"?

Also, which tire/wheels are folks using? I was looking at the Kavan for weight savings, but am not sure what model to get. I will be flying of grass as opposed to asphalt, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-10-2004, 12:37 PM
TBoone

Default RE: Comp-Arf 2.6 - Couple of Quick Questions

One other question while I am thinking about it. Anyone know the rough length of the servo extensions needed for the aileron and rudder servos? Thanks again.

Tim
Old 05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would still go with the large assembly, the medium may not hold up over time. I am using the stock servo tray for the rudder so I didn't need rudder servos, but my elevator servos have 48" extensions, and my outboard aileron servos have 24" extensions into a matchbox. I use a 12" extension from the receiver to each wing matchbox.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM
TBoone

Thanks Ryan. I appreciate the quick reply. I was leaning the direction you mentioned on the tailgear. Also, I misspoke about the extensions and meant elevator rather than rudder. So, you gave me what I needed.

Tim
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

TBoone,

I recently built a CA (Columbo Anderson) 34% extra. I did not like the wheel pants that cae with the kit as I thought they were too large. I used H9 wheelpants form a friends crashed sukhoi and Kavan 4" wheels for TBM. THey fit great inside the pants. I also used the 3/16" axles & wheel collars from TBM as well. You may want to consider drilling out the hub for some 3/16" ID brass tubing and gue tubing into the hub w/ CA. The brass acts like a bushing on the axle for smooooooth & easy turning. I can snap a few pics if you like. Just let me know.

Ryan
Old 05-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Are you getting their hardware kit?
Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 PM
TBoone

Geistware, just whatever comes with the plane. In other words, I haven't ordered a seperate hardware package, if that's what you mean.

Tim
Old 05-12-2004, 05:54 AM
Geistware

Yes, that is what I was asking. I would be interested in hearing what comes with it.

ORIGINAL: TBoone

Geistware, just whatever comes with the plane. In other words, I haven't ordered a seperate hardware package, if that's what you mean.

Tim
Old 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Geistware- They come with just about everything you need, excluding extensions, tank that kinda thing.
Included is all phenolic horns servo and control, steal clevises, threaded rod, pull pull wire, servo tray, axels, blind nuts, hex bolts.
The horns worked great, no slop, offset to hinge lines. I used the clevises and threaded rod. I choose to use 4-40 blind nuts and button head screws. I just rather not use metric being all my others aren't. This kit was very complete and everything seemed of quality. There are many people using all stock setup and doing fine. The instructions book could have had a few sections re-writen for clarity and pictures included that are left out. I checked out the new book on the yak and it is much better. The sentence structure can be missleading with the old one. (not that mine is worth a hoot) I feel the included set-up is going to work just fine, and be problem free. Oh I did us a floating bell crank so I did not need a match box on the rudder.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:23 PM
TBoone

Geistware, I got my kit this week and like RTK says, the hardware package that is included is pretty complete and doesn't look too bad. I might make a few changes here and there, but plan to keep it stock for the most part. Parts that aren't included are the normal stuff like tank, wheels, tail gear, extensions, etc. The plane itself looks awesome. I got the Prototype color scheme and it is sweet. So far, I'm thrilled with it and am starting to work on it this weekend.

Tim
Old 05-16-2004, 08:49 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Tboone,

Check out ryans review on vrxtreme.com and the mods done to the plane. He is building mine for me as i just dont have any time to build these days. Look awsome. Should be ready to fly this weekend as soon as i get my butt up there. We will be posting some videos on the maiden also.

Santi
Old 05-17-2004, 10:31 AM
TBoone

Hey Santi. Looks nice! I got the same color scheme. It is really sweet. Have you seen it "in person" yet? The reason I ask is I was wondering whether the trim between the canopy and cowl on yours is tape vs. painted in the mold. Mine was tape and didn't match exactly. Grrrrr. O well, I just had the local paint shop scan the cowl color and mix me some paint and I plan to shoot it rather than have the mismatched stripe on a plane this nice.

Let us know how it flies!!

Tim
Old 05-17-2004, 10:36 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

I am just putting mine together now...and also used all the stock hardware...the biggest pain was finding the little servo wheels you always throw out(for use with the screw on control horns),lol...I am very happy with mine, and cant wait to get it all done (today or tomorrow)...I hope I can land it nice, dont want to break it,lol (landings are iffy with larger planes)...confidence here we come..
Old 05-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Geistware

Well, when you get ready to sell it, let me know

ORIGINAL: CDignition

I am just putting mine together now...and also used all the stock hardware...the biggest pain was finding the little servo wheels you always throw out(for use with the screw on control horns),lol...I am very happy with mine, and cant wait to get it all done (today or tomorrow)...I hope I can land it nice, dont want to break it,lol (landings are iffy with larger planes)...confidence here we come..
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks tboone, I did see it in person before Ryan picked it up. I didnt notice any tape between the cowl to the canpoy. But, however i did notice a strip of white tape between the canopy and the vertical fin. Dont know whats that all about. But this airplane looks soo sweet the little time i saw it. cant wait till this weekend. All we have to do now is program the servos range test it and she should be ready to go. I will follow up with flight reports when i get back from Reno this weekend. Here are the specs.

DA100 w/5" tru-turn ultimate style spinner with light b-plate
2ea 5945 on ailerons
1ea 5945 on elevators
3ea 5945 on SWB rudder tray with smartfly 3d equalizer.
1ea 5925 on throttle
All 1.25" arms on all servos
2ea 4000 mah Duralite plus batteries 1 for the rudder servos and 1 for the receiver
1ea 2800 mah Duralite plus batteries for the ignition.
149dp for receiver

Did i leave anything out?
Oh yeah, Ryan Vu professionally building this plane.

Santi
Old 05-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Geistware

I can't seem to find the review at www.vrxtreme.com

ORIGINAL: santi

Tboone,

Check out ryans review on vrxtreme.com and the mods done to the plane. He is building mine for me as i just dont have any time to build these days. Look awsome. Should be ready to fly this weekend as soon as i get my butt up there. We will be posting some videos on the maiden also.

Santi
Old 05-17-2004, 08:41 PM
TBoone

Geistware, go to "forums" and scroll down to "VRX Reviews". I think it is CompArf review #2. Looks nice!