Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Learning to hover

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Learning to hover

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:07 PM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learning to hover

I guess I'm in the minority here as I don't care for the simulators.

My choice for hovering / torque rolling, and other 3D practice are the foamy electrics. You can hit the ground a bunch with minor or no damage most of the time. Plus it is a bunch of fun, to me the computer simulator is more work than fun. Another plus is that you can fly in very small areas, church, school or your front yard. Night flying in a lighted parking lot is a thrill as well. So my vote goes to the foamy electrics.

Practice and burn no fuel.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rcaviator-RCU
As I know nothing about electrics what is your set up in your foamy?
1. Motor
2. Battery brand, size, other info
3. Charger system
4. Rx, servos, switch harness
5. Name of the foamy

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Johnnylightning

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

*snip*
I don't have the huevos yet to bring my 1/4 scale gasser down low enough to really be able to hover it well but given the progress I have made it will happen eventually.
It will happen eventually, but only if you bring it down low and close. It's a catch 22

Example: You hover & T/R your foamy close to you, all day long, if you wish. Now, take your foamy up to about 50' hi and about 75' away from yourself and notice how hard it is to hover & T/R.

Like a ballancing act, these two maneuvers require precise input at the time, or even before they are required, to maintain this vertical attitude. There is a sweet spot, with very little tolerance in any direction that the aircraft must maintain, in order to sustain these maneuvers and there is no way to make note or anticipate these tolerances, in time, when the aircraft is too far away from yourself.

Take the plunge and cross the threshold...bring it down low. It's intimidating, I know, but you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:48 PM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Gary,

Below are my answers. Feel free to email me for a detailed write up I did for the local clubs, it's in a Word document. [email protected]

I also knew nothing about electrics before this.

ORIGINAL: GarySS

rcaviator-RCU
1. Motor
Himax 2015-4100 w/ Castle Creations 25 amp esc
2. Battery brand, size, other info
E-Tec, 3 cell, Li-po, 1200ma
3. Charger system
Triton
4. Rx, servos, switch harness
Berg 5, Hitec 55, no switch
5. Name of the foamy
One I cut out myself and have modified through many revisions to get the way I like it to fly. A friend of mine cut the first one and I went from there.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:48 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: GarySS

rcaviator-RCU
1. Motor-Razor 2500 /Castle Creations Phoenix 25
2. Battery brand, size, other info -ThunderPower 2100mah 3S
3. Charger system- Triton
4. Rx, servos, switch harness-Hitec 555 (remove the case) HS-55-no switch
5. Name of the foamy Foamy Factory Extra 40" or 44" from Depron

Thanks!
1. Motor-Razor 2500 /Castle Creations Phoenix 25
2. Battery brand, size, other info -ThunderPower 2100mah 3S
3. Charger system- Triton
4. Rx, servos, switch harness-Hitec 555 (remove the case) HS-55-no switch
5. Name of the foamy Foamy Factory Extra 40" or 44" from Depron

Goto foamyfactory.com to start out and learn where to buy everything.

I am able to hover it inches from the ground and grab it out of the air when I'm done. Rolling Harrier circles will be next.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

For me it was a Morris Top Cap ARF, TT pro 46 and an APC 12x4 prop.. And lotsa gas! You've just gotta dedicate whole flights to the effort!
People tell me that they just can't seem to get the hang of hovering. But when I watch them fly, I see them try once or twice, during the flight. The rest of the time they're doing loops and rolls and full throttle tumbles.. It's amazes me how much enjoyment some people get out of watching thier funfly plane flop around at full throttle with various full deflection crossed control inputs. :-)

My point is; you need to start with a disposable plane, that is capible of hovering! The Top Cap was a great choice, and still is. I'm afraid the Extreme flight profile edge is better than the top cap, but it wasn't available to me. :-( Besides that you need to know that the only difference between people that can and cant hover is hours of prectice! People will give you all sorts of advice or tricks that will help you hover. Some good some bad! :-)

Fly the piss out you're plane, and write back when you've got it! :-)

The best advice I can give;

1) Learn to hover your plane with enough altitude that you can pull out of anything.. I'd say ~ 40 feet. The key is not to get frustrated at the fact that you're not staying in the hover for very long. At this stage the goal is not to hover, but to learn to recover control of the plane without loosing altitude.. The plane is too far away to to see the subtle changes in attitude that you need to correct for. Just get good at recognizing when the plane has fallen out of the hover, wich direction it fell out, and what control inpu is needed to recover without loosing altitude.. example. when the plane falls onto it's back, adding power and DOWN elevator, and not pulling up completing the second half of a loop before recovering, or trying to roll to upright flight first then pulling up. This wastes altitude, wich you wont have when you get to step 2

2)Now that you can recover from any attitude without loosing any altitude, Bring it down low! This is where it gets fun! Now you can really start to see the subtle changes in attitude and you can start refining your inputs to keep the plane upright.. Obviously it's easier to keep the plane in a hover if you're looking at the top of the plane.. You can use right aileron input to counteract the engine torque, but most people don't realize that if you input just a little tinny bit of down elevator the nose will creep forward and the plane will no longer have the urge to torque roll.

3) Torqu roll.. Hmmmm Just gonna have to practice that one!! :-)

Hope this helps. :-)

Stephan